The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

3 hours ago, cornerkick said:

their financial statements for 2021 are online:

https://canadasoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/The-Canadian-Soccer-Association-Incorporated-2021.pdf

revenues have doubled, but expenses have grown also.  i see no mention of concession revenues, unless it's part of commercial and other fees.

image.png.283a17ce306f37d7cfcb36b883d55ad3.png

I'm not accountant, but I've been saying the reports haven't made any sense. 

2021 CSA Annual Report
2020 CSA Financial Statements

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

If my memory is correct the money from that CSB deal is arguably what keeps the CPL afloat.

At the risk of self promoting my own thread where I wrote my thoughts on it, do you think this is intentional? I.e the idea was for the money of national teams to prop the CPL?

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

I'm not accountant, but I've been saying the reports haven't made any sense. 

2021 CSA Annual Report
2020 CSA Financial Statements

i'm looking at the 2021 annual report now, and there's one chart for breakdown of source of funds, and it looks to jive with what's in the 2021 financial statements (statement of ops).   that's the only financial related thing i saw in the annual report.  don't know about the use of funds breakdown, haven't looked into it...

image.png.68b51853b9a93dfccc2c7d0dc8cd7eed.png

you've got links to the 2021 annual report, and the 2020 statements...that might be why they're not reconciling for you??

2 minutes ago, phil03 said:

At the risk of self promoting my own thread where I wrote my thoughts on it, do you think this is intentional? I.e the idea was for the money of national teams to prop the CPL?

I mean...are people forgetting that before the very recent success of NT the no.1 thing people were adamant about to ensure future success of the NT was setting up a professional domestic league? They leveraged what they had(media rights) to get a deal to ensure some degree of survivability of the CPL.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/canadian-men-s-soccer-team-won-t-play-against-panama-over-contract-dispute~2457339

If you read that statement put together on behalf of the players, you can easily tell thats its not written by the players themselves.   Its way too polished, very well written from a PR perspective,  and demonstrates far too much understanding of the side deals with financial implications.   With all due repect to the players skills, they are not lawyers or CPA’s.  Nor Public relations experts. 

This is the kind of statement a players union in major professional sport would submit in times of lockouts and strikes.  The same unions who have an army of lawyers and PR ppl on retainer. 

what this tells me is that there is an unknown intermediary here who is at the very root of this dispute and perhaps initiating this dispute.  Be curious to know who that is.  

Edited by Free kick

Seems to me that the CSA was always a small federation

Players worked their butts off to achieve something no one thought they could pull off

Significant money is coming in (for once).

The CSA wants to use it to grow the organization and make this success sustainable with programs and infrastructure (avoiding this being a one time thing)

Players who pulled off nearly the impossible wants to be compensated accordingly.

MANNNNNNNN, that's tough... Once you stop emotionally reacting to the news... that's tough.....

At the same time, it's the CSA job to explain the business side of things to players and reading the letter, not sure they quite understand all of it.

This is where a union would have been helpful as this is their job. At the same time, it makes the CSA look stupid if it can't do it themselves... might as well give a union to the players if you let things go this south on your own... clearly a union/third party is needed here.

Not all black and white but the TIMING SUCKS

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/canadian-men-s-soccer-team-won-t-play-against-panama-over-contract-dispute~2457339

If you read that statement put together on behalf of the players, you can easily tell thats its not written by the players themselves.   Its way too polished, very well written from a PR perspective,  and demonstrates far too much understanding of the side deals with financial implication.   With all due repect to the players skills, they are not lawyers or CPA’s.  Nor Public relations experts. 

what this tells me is that there is an unknown intermediary here who is at the very root of this dispute and perhaps initiating this dispute. 

Interesting, I thought completely differently. I'm a lawyer and my first thought was how unpolished the statement was, like a first draft. I immediately thought it was clearly penned by the players and maybe given a quick 5 minute look over by someone more experienced.

1 minute ago, canucksfan said:

Interesting, I thought completely differently. I'm a lawyer and my first thought was how unpolished the statement was, like a first draft. I immediately thought it was clearly penned by the players and maybe given a quick 5 minute look over by someone more experienced.

How would players who play in europe or MLS have any knowledge about a marketing company for CPL and its contract with the CSA?

2 minutes ago, canucksfan said:

I had the exact same thoughts

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I mean...are people forgetting that before the very recent success of NT the no.1 thing people were adamant about to ensure future success of the NT was setting up a professional domestic league? They leveraged what they had(media rights) to get a deal to ensure some degree of survivability of the CPL.

I would respectfully disagree it was that unanimous a position from what I read but regardless: I'd argue that if the CPL was so incompensingly important then they should just actually own it and say ''this is important so we are gonna pump cash from other source of revenues into this.'' It would have been smarter, as it wouldn't have tied their hands nearly as much, that's what should have done been done by an organisation who is showing acountability and ethics and, frankly, one that isn't behaving cowardly!

EDIT: At the very least I can definitely see why the CSA telling the players they can't provide funding because they have tied their own hands to bail out the CPL isn't gonna impress them.

Edited by phil03

Just now, Free kick said:

How would players who play in europe or MLS have any knowledge about a marketing company for CPL and its contract with the CSA?

Why wouldn't they when it directly impact them and the organization they play for and where the $ goes? The fact there was a deal with CSB was public knowledge. The letter just discusses those basics.

The players to blame here, they are mostly rich, what's left for the people on the minimum wage as when Souness attacked Charlie Tevez when he didn't want to play as a substitute?  

The CSa may be some muppets but you play First and then go public, that's a very messy  very messy attitude.

"We have recently learned that in 2018, Canada Soccer signed an agreement with Canadian Soccer Business that has completely compromised their ability to leverage the on-field success of our senior national teams. To have any chance of creating substantial, lasting change for all Canada Soccer programs, we need the terms of this agreement to be disclosed and corrected. We want to who signed this deal that has hand cuffed our association. Why have Canada Soccer given up autonomy of the greatest opportunity to grow our program in years?"

Not trying to be negative on the players but....anybody who followed the formation and creation of the CPL knew this. 

why did they think their games were aired on OneSoccer?..

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I’m 100% guessing based on what I’ve read but I would not be surprised if it was

1) where’s our $$. Why is there no merch?  Shouldn’t we as a federation have more cash now that we made the World Cup and we get over 1 million viewers per game?

2) Sorry guys after we pay CSB their cut we don’t really have much. 

3) What? Who’s CSB and what are the details of this deal.  This is stupid we made the World Cup we should cash in. 

3) CSB is run by the CPL peeps they help grow the game Canada. 

4) That’s messed up.  You’re saying we can’t get paid and we can’t grow the game (book friendlies. Sell merch. Cash in on sponsorships) because the CSB takes the money to fund the CPL. Why just a mens league and not a woman’s league?

5) We’re going on vacation.  See you in June!

Edited by Meepmeep