The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

This latest article is from Neil Davidson of the CP, and not Rick Westhead.  Could it be these feel good vibes are something Canada Soccer wants to promote, when in fact the reality is different?   Note that Davies’ agent had no immediate comment.  I see they reference yet another anonymous source but also with confirmation by Earl Cochrane that a deal is close…why the need for an anonymous source then?  

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I wonder if that means they will be changing the Gatorade ad they were showing yesterday.

CP article says Davies signed a deal with Biosteel in September. So, he won't be in any Gatorade ad.

Westhead's led with the Gatorade ad angle last week but didn't directly mention the reason why Davies rejected being in the ad. He also failed to mention it in his article today. 

Edited by red card

30 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

This latest article is from Neil Davidson of the CP, and not Rick Westhead.  Could it be these feel good vibes are something Canada Soccer wants to promote, when in fact the reality is different?   Note that Davies’ agent had no immediate comment.  I see they reference yet another anonymous source but also with confirmation by Earl Cochrane that a deal is close…why the need for an anonymous source then?  

There is also a Westhead article on the TSN website, it claims that a deal has already been finalized, but doesn't quote anything from Cochrane but rather another CSA spokesperson. It has less info than the Neil Davidson piece:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canada-soccer-reaches-licensing-agreement-with-alphonso-davies-1.1868020

2 minutes ago, red card said:

Article says Davies signed a deal with Biosteel in September. So, he won't be in any Gatorade ad.

Westhead's led with the Gatorade ad angle last week but didn't directly mention the reason why Davies rejected being in the ad. He also failed to mention it in his article today. 

Good to know. 

There were Gatorade ads that were rejected and there was one playing yesterday with Cavallini and Eustaquio among a lot of others - according to my brother at least.

37 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I wonder if that means they will be changing the Gatorade ad they were showing yesterday.

Was Davies in it?

I doubt you'll see Davies featured anywhere with Gatorade as he's signed an independent deal with Biosteel as per the article. I'm sure that's written in to his Biosteel deal that he can't associate with conservative product

Great news for everyone. I'm thinking David might be only other player to hold such leverage that they could sign a similar deal

9 minutes ago, red card said:

CP article says Davies signed a deal with Biosteel in September. So, he won't be in any Gatorade ad.

That's because Whitehead is a dickhead

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Was Davies in it?

I doubt you'll see Davies featured anywhere with Gatorade as he's signed an independent deal with Biosteel as per the article. I'm sure that's written in to his Biosteel deal that he can't associate with conservative product

Great news for everyone. I'm thinking David might be only other player to hold such leverage that they could sign a similar deal

I didn't see it but see above.  He said it was on at half during the Premier League game on FUBO. 

17 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Nothing says equity like 1 player negotiating a separate image deal thru their agent for their personal promotional company. Theres no equity and equality here just reality. Unless Christine Sinclair thinks she might be playing in the world cup against Belgium she might want to mind her own business. Stop being a puppet for someone else's agenda

32 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

He's totally mistaken, again. But so pathetically on top of it.

Precisely because Davies owns his rights and negotiates through his own agency, he makes the deal he wants for what he controls. As should every single player, separately. 

That means that by no means should the "same deal" be offered to everyone, because it is not a collective agreement. 

Assuming Westhead thinks Messi negotiates the same deal with Argentina as the third keeper.

I just went to reply to his dumbass tweet but see he blocks my twitter account. What a douche.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Nothing says equity like 1 player negotiating a separate image deal thru their agent for their personal promotional company. Theres no equity and equality here just reality. Unless Christine Sinclair thinks she might be playing in the world cup against Belgium she might want to mind her own business. Stop being a puppet for someone else's agenda

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Precisely because Davies owns his rights and negotiates through his own agency, he makes the deal he wants for what he controls. As should every single player, separately. 

That means that by no means should the "same deal" be offered to everyone, because it is not a collective agreement. 

Assuming Westhead thinks Messi negotiates the same deal with Argentina as the third keeper.

Why would any player be entitled to a greater percentage of sales of jerseys that have their name on it? Putting their name on it means the CSA thinks said name will sell jerseys; the relative fame of the player would simply determine volume of sale.

The CSA is a quasi-public entity, there is no way they can offer Sinclair less than what Davies gets for stuff like that.

I keep telling people that Rick Whitehead has only been brought in to stand on the notoriety of Canada playing in the World Cup but to use that platform's spotlight to trash and drag down the CSA. So one great soccer story but now let's go to Rick for the sour taste in your mouth moment. He'll try and leverage and wedge in any culture war buzz topic he can, use and manipulate any player or situation he can. It's sad and pathetic. We should all be coming together and beaming with pride but instead you have an insincere professional troll doing a mega corps evil bidding. Everyone should just put this clown on mute and we should go back to celebrating this amazing Canadian moment brought to you by a group of amazing Canadians. Let the business side work itself out behind closed doors

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just went to reply to his dumbass tweet but see he blocks my twitter account. What a douche.

The quote attached to Westhead's tweet is from a source (likely current or former CSA), it's not Westhead's own opinion. 

(I'm assuming that's what you're reacting to)

Edited by RS
Spelling

21 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Why would any player be entitled to a greater percentage of sales of jerseys that have their name on it? Putting their name on it means the CSA thinks said name will sell jerseys; the relative fame of the player would simply determine volume of sale.

The CSA is a quasi-public entity, there is no way they can offer Sinclair less than what Davies gets for stuff like that.

Wrong, and in fact, your argument likely would mean a worse deal for any other player. Why? Because Davies generates volume, so can offer a unit price discount because of it. He almost certainly makes less per shirt because he generates a substantially higher volume of sales. 

Do we really not understand these things?

If any other player took that same discounted unit price they'd be signing a bad deal. 

Yipes anyone who thinks we are taking pot shots at Westhead for no reason, read his article and then read Davidson.  Davidson actually did his reporting, much more info to put things in context, ie the women have had name/image deal for 10 years, the men are just doing catch up now. And that previously the men went on a event by event basis. 

Probably neither side sold enough personallized jerseys to warrant special deals until now.  Like I was saying earlier, growing pains that have come with success on the field not CSA trying to screw these guys over.  Much as I think the CSA are a bunch of clowns, this is a sticky situation, having to make a deal with the new mens association, new separate deals for jerseys and then having it have to be equal treatment for the 2 teams and the 2 stars used in all the commercials.  No wonder its taking so long to get it squared away.  

55 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think club and country deals are slightly different - in theory

This is not really new though.  Was it here or somewhere else I was reading that Stoichkov had totally seperate arrangements from the rest of his national team.

Also, wasn't the basis of the Mbappe dispute over the fact that the French FA used his image far more than say, Jonathan Ikone, and therefore he should get a personal deal?

In any case, I agree with UT that there wouldn't be much point in the CSA offering the exact same deal to 100 plus men's and women's teams players - if that is what the players want, then it should be in the collective agreement, but Neil Davidson's article clarifies that it is not.

Edited by Gian-Luca

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yipes anyone who thinks we are taking pot shots at Westhead for no reason, read his article and then read Davidson.  Davidson actually did his reporting, much more info to put things in context, ie the women have had name/image deal for 10 years, the men are just doing catch up now. And that previously the men went on a event by event basis. 

Probably neither side sold enough personallized jerseys to warrant special deals until now.  Like I was saying earlier, growing pains that have come with success on the field not CSA trying to screw these guys over.  Much as I think the CSA are a bunch of clowns, this is a sticky situation, having to make a deal with the new mens association, new separate deals for jerseys and then having it have to be equal treatment for the 2 teams and the 2 stars used in all the commercials.  No wonder its taking so long to get it squared away.  

Basically the difference between someone that is familiar with soccer in Canada and someone who isn`t.

Davidson has been covering soccer forever.