The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

2 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Losers. I hope that once the govt is done with hockey canada that they fully investigate these people.

The more things that come out about these people, the more this looks like an SNL skit. 

I hate the CSA as much as anybody but wishing that on them is counter-productive to the growth of soccer in this country. 

Do they need to go? Absolutely, but we don't need the govt getting involved. Besides, does anyone have any faith they'd replace the personnel or structure with something better? Dream on if you believe that. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

How do we know the CSA has directed players and staff to give back team gear? Because an unnamed source said so?

I call bullshit on that. You can never assume an unnamed source is reliable. 

There is a quote from a CSA spokesperson in the article indicating that some of the practice gear has been cleaned, passed down and re-used for youth camps.

The bigger question for me is....who cares? Yes, it makes Nike look cheap & the CSA look poor, which isn't exactly groundbreaking news. Heck, I think I yawned when I get to that part of the article.

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There is a quote from a CSA spokesperson in the article indicating that some of the practice gear has been cleaned, passed down and re-used for youth camps.

The bigger question for me is....who cares? Yes, it makes Nike look cheap & the CSA look poor, which isn't exactly groundbreaking news. Heck, I think I yawned when I get to that part of the article.

Yeah, I got a third of the way down and lost interest. 

But you're right. The CSA is poor and the players don't get to keep all the gear.? Um, yeah. That's probably the case with most FAs. This is non-news.

Westhead the outrage merchant?

Edited by Obinna

27 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

As we approach Qatar…what are the odds of a ceasefire so both sides (mostly the players and staff) can focus their efforts 100pc on the actual tournament?  

Seems like it's a journalist keen on stirring the pot more so than players & staff

Funny how that works. What's it to him?

Maybe he wanted a free joggy pants for himself? If you've ever seen a pack of journalists ar a free craft table it's a site to behold. The level of entitlement is off the charts

They're basically like professional yelp reviewers. I went to Burger King on King George Hwy and I clearly asked for sweet and sour sauce and got none in my bag and my french fries were cold! I immediately demand the 17 yr old working the drive thru be fired. Never go there to again. What a disgrace to humanity!

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Oh yeah that makes sense, actually. 

The bolded part is most important. The suits are nothing to freak out about, in my opinion. There are far worse things about the overall situation than that. In fact, I would call the "suit issue" no issue at all. 

It is effective at riling people up though, clearly. 

It speaks to character and I think it’s a reasonable reference point. If our standards are seriously this low it explains a lot about how we got to one WC qualification in 30 years. 

51 minutes ago, CanMNT Memes said:

As a second though:

I occasionally get suits made at places similar to this in Toronto. 

From the video you can see the jackets here have their own custom made liner with the CSA logo on them and the logo is also embroidered on the outside. Even for indochino quality product (which I am not sure if this is), that detail doesn’t get done for the price disclosed. So I might suspect the promotional bit using the associations name (while minor) was an added benefit to the vendor to reduce the price of the product. 

If I were cynical, I might say there are various outfits in this city that are giving away their product to athletes / teams for free, just for the promotional value. And if the board / association were enterprising, they would find a way to include the players. Everyone gets some product and walks away with no money out of the associations budget. These guys are going to the WC in a month and the eyeball factor is huge.

But hey, I guess being a bunch of amateur shitheads who scored suits was good enough.

2 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

It speaks to character and I think it’s a reasonable reference point. If our standards are seriously this low it explains a lot about how we got to one WC qualification in 30 years. 

How do those suits speak to character?

I think Westhead brings up the suits to paint a picture that Bontis and co. are unnecessarily wasting money on themselves for some kind of personal gain. I seriously wouldn't be surprised to find that somewhere in the balance sheet of the CSA, but there's no evidence of that, now is there? Westhead is just spinning a narrative without any evidence using "trustworthy" intel from an unnamed source. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

My first reaction was to clinch my fist and damn those entitled do-nothings at the CSA, but then I realized they probably give back those suits as well. 

Is there anything confirming these executives keep the suits? If not what's the big deal? 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Are we assuming these big wigs get to keep those suits?

They’re bespoke suits tailored to each board member’s measurements. 

Why wouldn’t they keep them?

7 minutes ago, RS said:

They’re bespoke suits tailored to each board member’s measurements. 

Why wouldn’t they keep them?

That was already pointed out by David Pinto. Indeed, they would keep suits which are tailor-fitted. 

Edit: For all we know the suits are property of the CSA, to be returned once an executive has left the post. If the CSA is re-using some gear to cut down on costs, would it be surprising if they had executives return suits, in the event they could be re-used by someone else with the same measurements? If that's ignorant on bespoke suits, then fair enough. I am not a suit-fitting expert.

My point was that we are jumping to conclusions if our takeaway from that tweet is that Bontis and co. are giving themselves unnecessary perks.

Edited by Obinna

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, I got a third of the way down and lost interest. 

But you're right. The CSA is poor and the players don't get to keep all the gear.? Um, yeah. That's probably the case with most FAs. This is non-news.

Westhead the outrage merchant?

I can’t speak to what other FA’s do with respect to practice gear, it wouldn’t surprise me if they have better deals with gear suppliers than the CSA does, given how crap Nike has been on the jersey excuse issue.

But I can say that other FA’s don’t send their delegations to major tourneys either dressed with 36 year old suits or dressed like Vanni Sartini at a Whitecaps game. Spinning the purchase of new suits for the delegation to  seem like some sort of controversial outrage is laughable - of course that was going to happen. 

Edited by Gian-Luca

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That was already pointed out by David Pinto. Indeed, they would keep suits which are tailor-fitted. 

Edit: For all we know the suits are property of the CSA, to be returned once an executive has left the post. If the CSA is re-using some gear to cut down on costs, would it be surprising if they had executives return suits in the event, they could be re-used by someone else with the same measurements? If that's ignorant on bespoke suits, then fair enough. I am not a suit-fitting expert. 

The suits have each board member’s name sown inside of their respective jackets. 

They’re not renting them or giving them to anyone else.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Other than David and Davies do any of the other players even have imagining rights of any real value?

Cyle Larin is in that Osmow’s ad right now. Kone jerseys would for sure sell in Montreal, Osorio in Toronto, anyone who scores any sort of consequential goal st the World Cup can expect a massive, at least temporary, boost in profile in Canada. If say, Sam Adekugbe scores the winner against Croatia, I think that’s enough to sell jerseys, and make some ad opportunities in Calgary. 

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I can’t speak to what other FA’s do with respect to practice gear, it wouldn’t surprise me if they have better deals with gear suppliers than the CSA does, given how crap Nike has been on the jersey excuse issue.

But I can say that other FA’s don’t send their delegations to major tourneys either dressed with 36 year old suits or dressed like Vanni Sartini at a Whitecaps game. Spinning the purchase of new suits for the delegation to  seem like some sort of controversial outrage is laughable - of course that was going to happen. 

The suit issue was just a part of the story. I’m not sure why so many in here are so focused on it.

The bigger story is Davies refusing to allow his likeness to be used for sponsors’ ads and for CSA merchandise. The biggest star of the team nixing use of his name and image in advertising on the eve of the World Cup is absolutely a big story.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Cyle Larin is in that Osmow’s ad right now. Kone jerseys would for sure sell in Montreal, Osorio in Toronto, anyone who scores any sort of consequential goal st the World Cup can expect a massive, at least temporary, boost in profile in Canada. If say, Sam Adekugbe scores the winner against Croatia, I think that’s enough to sell jerseys, and make some ad opportunities in Calgary. 

The fact that Larin agreed to appear in the Osmows ad may point to the fact that he is opposite of Davies viewpoint on the imaging matter. That`s my guess.

Just now, RS said:

The suit issue was just a part of the story. I’m not sure why so many in here are so focused on it.

The bigger story is Davies refusing to allow his likeness to be used for sponsors’ ads and for CSA merchandise. The biggest star of the team nixing use of his name and image in advertising on the eve of the World Cup is absolutely a big story.

Because the tweet was shared in the thread. That's why it's been the focus of discussion. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Is there anything confirming these executives keep the suits? If not what's the big deal? 

They are bespoke suits. aka tailored.

They didn't get a "rent 13 suits get the 14th free" deal at Moore's.

C'mon on!

- - - - -

The $100 000 on the documentary is way more damning. That money could have brought the families of players on lower salaries ( think Koné ) to Qatar.

$100 000 isn't much for Davies anymore but Koné is on a $68 125 USD deal this season and surely isn't getting big sponsorship deals like Davies, so that is a real slap in the face to a guy like him.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille