The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It's funny with the Jesey thing.. I actually have a Jersey collection. Probably around 40

None of them have a players name. As a man I find it a little strange and a bit embarrassing to walk around with another man's name on my back. Maybe for little kids

I think I have about 10 Canadian shirts. Phonzie is my favorite player but I'd never get a shirt with his name on it or anyone else of course

Perhaps you can donate your collection of shirts to the CSA. They don't have enough for the players

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

your dick is probably long, fat and your balls are like gumballs too? Oooh soo macho!

I'm not sure about being macho is a bit more like not being immature. I don't know, maybe it's just me

Again I thinks its fun for kids

Edited by SpursFlu

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My first reaction was to clinch my fist and damn those entitled do-nothings at the CSA, but then I realized they probably give back those suits as well. 

Is there anything confirming these executives keep the suits? If not what's the big deal? 

I am not trying to sound entirely like a pretentious asshole but if what your are saying is true, the fact our Board would need to rent suits just speaks to the quality of the advice they provide.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My first reaction was to clinch my fist and damn those entitled do-nothings at the CSA, but then I realized they probably give back those suits as well. 

Is there anything confirming these executives keep the suits? If not what's the big deal? 

These are bespoke tailored suits... unless they have height/weight/body composition requirements for the next person in the role giving them back would be useless. 

Also 11k for 14 suits is fairly inexpensive for a bespoke. Its slightly above Indochino prices. 

I thought the price was cheap too. For me it’s not the suits in isolation, nor the cost which appears reasonable. It’s the juxtaposition, and the ridiculous video accompanying the making of the suits. It’s embarrassing. Doubly embarrassing that Bontis doesn’t realize how embarrassing it is.

Like a guy unironically doing a full on goal celebration in an over 50 league. (Yup. Guy on my team. In a 5-2 loss. Super embarrassing. This is just as bad or worse)

Edited by shorty

Is this a REAL story? Or is this a nothing-burger to generate clicks? Think about it. Is there evidence these guys keep those suits, because if there isn't this is a giant pile of nothing!

Let's get this out of the way...I am not a fan of the executives at the CSA by any means. In fact, I have been very critical of the CSA for a long time, despite the push back I have gotten from other posters. 

So, like everyone else in this thread (apparently), I had the same vitriolic response as the rest of you. Just imagining those entitled losers taking home those fancy suits when the players have to return their polos really boiled my blood for a second, but then I realized there's no evidence of that whatsoever (at least that I see). I just jumped to that conclusion like everyone else. 

Westhead is in the business of attracting eyeballs, amongst other things. Don't forget that guys. He is not in the business of working in the best interest of soccer in this country. While he's done some fantastic work covering this story, tweets like this don't set well with me. 

Hey Westhead, try making a statement of fact next time instead of misleading people for a few clicks, either puposely or otherwise!

3 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

These are bespoke tailored suits... unless they have height/weight/body composition requirements for the next person in the role giving them back would be useless. 

Also 11k for 14 suits is fairly inexpensive for a bespoke. Its slightly above Indochino prices. 

That's why the "I feel like James Bond" promotion line for the retailer. They got a discount for the promo 🙂

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That's why the "I feel like James Bond" promotion line for the retailer. They got a discount for the promo 🙂

I will throw this out that I think the designer and Bontis may know eachother and if this went for a full tender (as it should) maybe they could have gotten a better deal. 

Also I think we are distracting ourselves with the suits instead of seeing that Davies has pulled his jersey a month before a world cup, the Onesoccer/Mediapro deal may have hindered selling the series to a major network and that Gatorade wanted to and couldn't advertise our team. 

Edited by David Pinto

11 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think it changes my opinion that we are being outraged over nothing here. 

It's not as if these guys and gals have dozens of 5-figure suits sitting at home in their closets. It's one person, one suit and 14 suits in total - that's basically a one-time payment of $154,000.

By contrast, how much money would it cost to replace gear for an entire squad for each camp? 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think it changes my opinion that we are being outraged over nothing here. 

It's not as if these guys and gals have dozens of 5-figure suits sitting at home in their closets. It's one person, one suit and 14 suits in total - that's basically a one-time payment of $154,000.

By contrast, how much money would it cost to replace gear for an entire squad for each camp? 

I read it as 11k total for 14 suits but I could be mistaken. 

I will say that the suits are the least concerning thing to me in that article. 

1 minute ago, David Pinto said:

I read it as 11k total for 14 suits but I could be mistaken. 

I will say that the suits are the least concerning thing to me in that article. 

Oh yeah that makes sense, actually. 

The bolded part is most important. The suits are nothing to freak out about, in my opinion. There are far worse things about the overall situation than that. In fact, I would call the "suit issue" no issue at all. 

It is effective at riling people up though, clearly. 

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is this a REAL story? Or is this a nothing-burger to generate clicks?

After reading the article, I'd say it's the latter. Some of the facts presented may be correct (I see Westhead has now started to drop "alleged" in the article about what he previously stated Bontis had said without such caveats). I read most of this thread first thinking that another player revolt had occurred and then read the article with some sense of relief that it was just more behind the scenes business b.s. that will be handled by lawyers & agents. The players can and should (and I expect will) focus about what is on the pitch.