The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

Honestly at this stage I'd almost say they should cut the middle man. Have the player association negotiate straight with the CSB and when they reach a deal have them say ''sign here!'' to Soccer Canada.

That way things like sponsorship revenues and their use could actually be part of the discussion instead of things basically going in circle with Soccer Canada both saying they are super poor without them but that the deal with CSB is still worth it which, regardless of one's opinion on the subject, is obviously not something the players are terribly interested to hear right now...

Honestly, the CSB deal might be one of the worst in history for any federation. These guys literally sold their business for nothing!

Is fucked up players don't get royalties for jersey sales, it's fucked up how were a month away from the world cup and players haven't paid their bonuses and have been asked to give back their gear and it's fucked up how people like Bontis act like there is no money but yes flying first class and buying $12,000 worth of suits for a bunch of guys nobody in this country has ever heard of. 

1 minute ago, Boominbooty said:

This is brutal. Can't make this shit up if you tried. "Hey guys, let's get some fancy suits so we look sharp, oh by the way, where's Larin's track suit? he hasn't returned it. We'll have to get it back or no playing time for him."

Bontis acts like he and the board accomplished shit. They did nothing! 

Just now, Boominbooty said:

This is brutal. Can't make this shit up if you tried. "Hey guys, let's get some fancy suits so we look sharp, oh by the way, where's Larin's track suit? he hasn't returned it. We'll have to get it back or no playing time for him."

Are we assuming these big wigs get to keep those suits?

18 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

Honestly, the CSB deal might be one of the worst in history for any federation. These guys literally sold their business for nothing!

Is fucked up players don't get royalties for jersey sales, it's fucked up how were a month away from the world cup and players haven't paid their bonuses and have been asked to give back their gear and it's fucked up how people like Bontis act like there is no money but yes flying first class and buying $12,000 worth of suits for a bunch of guys nobody in this country has ever heard of. 

Honestly, as much as stuff like this is ridiculous its small amounts in the grand scheme of things. 

IMO the real issue is that, or at least that's that impression that I got from basically everything I read and listened to on the subject, is that head honchoes at Canada Soccer weren't so much guided by the benefits coming from having the CPL when making that deal, which are indeed very significant and worth making sizable sacrifices for, but by their personal desire for the CPL to be a thing. It wasn't about a thorough analysis of the needs of Canadian soccer, of what would pay out in the long run and of what should be accepted to get there but instead it was about their own desire to have their own league they could control and point to at gatherings with member of other federations and of their thirst for a legacy item for themselves.

In term of negotiating position that would have been bad enough but on top of that they basically aired that desire publicly and repeatedly. They basically make their bargaining position as terrible as it could be. Their take coming in the talks should have been ''yeah, it would be great to get this done but push come to shove we can always push for more clubs in the USL instead or something and we definitely won't sign a deal we feel isn't worth it''. It doesn't matter whether this is true or not, that's the position they should have taken to get the best deal possible. Instead they basically did the opposite...

Edited by phil03

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

With the news that Davies has asked CSA to stop selling his jerseys, and seeing that David has his own marketing team. I'm going to assume they are the ones not wanting to give up their image rights for free.

How does this work for other federations with superstar players?  Honest question.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

How does this work for other federations with superstar players?  Honest question.

They probably get paid for it. No way Belgium, Germany, England get to use De Bruyne, Kimmich, or Foden for free.
But those FA pay the players handsomely. 

I know Mbappe isn't used in (any) certain promotions for France....but he's a whole nother character. 

It's funny with the Jesey thing.. I actually have a Jersey collection. Probably around 40

None of them have a players name. As a man I find it a little strange and a bit embarrassing to walk around with another man's name on my back. Maybe for little kids

I think I have about 10 Canadian shirts. Phonzie is my favorite player but I'd never get a shirt with his name on it or anyone else of course

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

It's funny with the Jesey thing.. I actually have a Jersey collection. Probably around 40

None of them have a players name. As a man I find it a little strange and a bit embarrassing to walk around with another man's name on my back. Maybe for little kids

I think I have about 10 Canadian shirts. Phonzie is my favorite player but I'd never get a shirt with his name on it or anyone else of course

your dick is probably long, fat and your balls are like gumballs too? Oooh soo macho!

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

They probably get paid for it. No way Belgium, Germany, England get to use De Bruyne, Kimmich, or Foden for free.
But those FA pay the players handsomely. 

I know Mbappe isn't used in (any) certain promotions for France....but he's a whole nother character. 

I'm pretty sure the English players play for free but in return for playing for England they get overpaid for playing for ManU, Liverpool and Chelsea. So everyone's happy