The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

4 minutes ago, Ivan said:

A bigger piece of their marketing revenue?

Which is what at this point? Revenues have surely been battered and bruised by this whole process. Going forward, let's hope everyone can work together for once to actually bring some money to the cause.

15 minutes ago, Meepmeep said:

Agreed.  This is a great PR and negotiating  play by the CSA.  

If the CSB don’t renegotiate the terms then they are the bad guy that ruined the deal.  

Not a great way to treat a long term business partner. A deal between CSA and CSB should have been sealed or at least a joint statement that things are advanced.

If I was negotiating with a business partner and he did that declaration publicly - I'd be upset.

Just saying

28 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm very curious what they could possibly be asking CSB to concede?

If I was the CSA, it would be a percentage of revenue after CSB has recooped their $3m. That's a partnership, where everyone works together to keep growing the revenue because everyone benefits.

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not a great way to treat a long term business partner. A deal between CSA and CSB should have been sealed or at least a joint statement that things are advanced.

If I was negotiating with a business partner and he did that declaration publicly - I'd be upset.

Just saying

100%. If this deal sours I hope CSA owns up to having no domestic league and having to pay for national team games to be broadcast again. 

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Just saying

You are assuming that he didn't get CSB's blessing to release this update. Blue made it sound like they are potentially very close to an agreement. It could be that the big stuff is sorted out and they are just working out some smaller details and things are going well.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

You are assuming that he didn't get CSB's blessing to release this update. Blue made it sound like they are potentially very close to an agreement. It could be that the big stuff is sorted out and they are just working out some smaller details and things are going well.

I hope so but the wording doesn't sound like it to me.

21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Which is what at this point? Revenues have surely been battered and bruised by this whole process. Going forward, let's hope everyone can work together for once to actually bring some money to the cause.

Well, according to reports (I have no idea how accurate they are) CSB brought in about 8M of sponsorship revenue, 3.5M of which goes to the CSA. 

Also interesting that in the interview with Marsch and Estaquio posted in another thread, both reiterated how important the CPL was the Canadian soccer.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Agreed. But smart play by Blue putting the ball in the CSB court.  "We have a deal as long as CSB comes to the table with concessions". So the public now waits.......  in other words, Blue basically told the CSB not to fuck this up!

He's the one negotiating a CBA. But he says a separate independent organization the CSA made a deal with half a decade ago is the determining factor.

Not his ability to negotiate a deal. Or his interest in putting better terms on the table. Nor mentions the approx 7 million we made in June - July between friendlies and Copa. 

Sorry folks, it's an identical excuse to that previously seen from his supposedly inferior predecessors. 

Doesn't leave him in a good light at all. 

Stop blaming the CSB and do your job.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's the one negotiating a CBA. But he says a separate independent organization the CSA made a deal with half a decade ago is the determining factor.

Not his ability to negotiate a deal. Or his interest in putting better terms on the table. Nor mentions the approx 7 million we made in June - July between friendlies and Copa. 

Sorry folks, it's an identical excuse to that previously seen from his supposedly inferior predecessors. 

Doesn't leave him in a good light at all. 

Stop blaming the CSB and do your job.

Sounds like he got concessions from the players by promising to get more money into the programs by getting more concessions from CSB by pressuring them publicly to fund them.

As someone else said, the CSA has revenue streams outside of CSB - how about you maximize those first? Host more games? Don't sign shit deals with Nike because Mr. "Drone" told you so?

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Sounds like he got concessions from the players by promising to get more money into the programs by getting more concessions from CSB by pressuring them publicly to fund them.

As someone else said, the CSA has revenue streams outside of CSB - how about you maximize those first? Host more games? Don't sign shit deals with Nike because Mr. "Drone" told you so?

Herdman was behind signing the deal with Nike? Whats the backstory there?

3 hours ago, Meepmeep said:

Agreed.  This is a great PR and negotiating  play by the CSA.  

If the CSB don’t renegotiate the terms then they are the bad guy that ruined the deal.  

Genuine question.. why would they be the bad guy? It's on the CSB to do what to give what? What are the players asking for again?

I've totally forgot about this whole thing

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Genuine question.. why would they be the bad guy? It's on the CSB to do what to give what? What are the players asking for again?

In a nutshell, we're all entitled to have CSB bleed more money to save Canadian soccer while getting virtually nothing in return.

I love the CPL, but if I was them and seeing how very few sees the value they bring to the table - I'd pull the plug and go Ryan Reynolds by buying clubs elsewhere. 

We don't deserve them

I think this whole thing is being overblown.  

I sound like a broken record player but cab revenues are likely less than 8 mil. They pay csa 4ish.  

I think blue educated the players that there isn’t loads of money flying around. But the players have already dug in so they need some concessions from csb to win.  

csb has said they’ll workvwith csa on the deal.

so i bet we will see the term renegotiated so it’s not unilateral and/or a % of revenue share if X amount of cash is made   

nothing changes today in reality but everyone saves face in the media. Everyone appears to win and support Canadian soccer. No one has to back down and say, we were wrong.

i think it’s all very clever and I don’t believe blue would put out a statement if csb is gonna be offended by the talks. Blues earned more faith from me to assume he did this blindly  

43 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

We all on this site know that.  It's the laymen and general public that will have the bad perception.

17 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Are we still talking about this, This has been a overated issue , Just like the Herdmann F- Croatia  nonsense and the F--king Dronegate scandal. I will just continue to watch the National Team, CPL, and a Little MLS  and move on 

Or borjan doing a Keepy uppy.  Hindsight is 20/20 and things can be done better but everything is blown out of proportion 

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I think this whole thing is being overblown.  

I sound like a broken record player but cab revenues are likely less than 8 mil. They pay csa 4ish.  

I think blue educated the players that there isn’t loads of money flying around. But the players have already dug in so they need some concessions from csb to win.  

csb has said they’ll workvwith csa on the deal.

so i bet we will see the term renegotiated so it’s not unilateral and/or a % of revenue share if X amount of cash is made   

nothing changes today in reality but everyone saves face in the media. Everyone appears to win and support Canadian soccer. No one has to back down and say, we were wrong.

i think it’s all very clever and I don’t believe blue would put out a statement if csb is gonna be offended by the talks. Blues earned more faith from me to assume he did this blindly  

Realistically, I think CSB deserves concessions from the players and federation. They've taken the brunt of this, for no good reason 

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Realistically, I think CSB deserves concessions from the players and federation. They've taken the brunt of this, for no good reason 

I 100% agree but this whole charade has been about public perception not reality. If it appears csb gains anything instead of conceding for the “greater good”, the media will crucify them.  

7 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Ok, so essentially this puts the ball in the CSB's court. Let's see where their interests really lie...

Definitely looks like the CSA, CMNT and CWNT are hoping that the optics of not renegotiating at this point are so negative for the CanPL owners that CSB will feel obliged to comply. Kevin Blue can always attempt to ramp up the "philanthropy" revenue stream, if they won't play along. If the CSA, CMNT and CWNT are not willing partners where the original terms are concerned, it becomes a lot more difficult for CSB to turn the 2026 co-hosting into a cash bonanza.