The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt their be a clause in the contract, if you are suspended by FIFA your contract is null and void and they wouldnt be on the hook?  

It would be really dumb to open yourself up to the possibility of Priestman spilling all the beans and going scorched earth 

13 minutes ago, Floortom said:

They would probably have a lawsuit on their hands if they didn’t pay her. Dragging this out and opening themselves up to further embarrassment should be the #1 thing for the CSA to avoid. Terminate her, pay her out and make this go away as quickly as possible 

I am inclined to agree with Bison.  While the CSA has clearly shown themselves to be historically incompetent when it comes to legal agreements (e.g. the alleged ability of CSBS to unilaterally extend their arrangement by an additional decade) most contracts wouldn’t require you to pay out if someone is caught doing something illegal.  

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt there be a clause in the contract, if you are suspended by FIFA your contract is null and void and they wouldnt be on the hook?  

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt their be a clause in the contract, if you are suspended by FIFA your contract is null and void and they wouldnt be on the hook?  

Let's hope so, but wasn't Bev's contract signed during The Earl's reign or was it renewed recently?

19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's getting to the point where it really looks like we need different FAs for the Men & Women, but you know that's not going to happen in Canada.

Does anyone FA in the world do that?

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Does anyone FA in the world do that?

Not to my knowledge, but I just don't see how the gender equity issues get resolved. The USSF may have done so, but they have a  massive budget and funding. 

On 7/28/2024 at 5:51 AM, narduch said:

Not sure why we need 3-4 different threads to discuss this.

I do find it funny that the discussion basically moved from the Women's sub-forum to here.

Also this really is a non story about the funding. I honestly would expect suspended coaches to lose there government funding.

But it is cool that just when we thought we could get a frigging rest after an exhausting run with the men, in my case including travelling to one game and then weird hours, the women's narrative came in so much stronger than you'd expect from an Olympics group stage. 

I usually like the summer to get a break from my club team and maybe a couple weeks rest from high intensity football, but has not been the case at all this year. On the other hand, being these two bitch-ass [sic] national teams is quite fun, we have to own it and then leverage it all for the best, unapologetic results possible. 

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If you want to listen to Westhead interviewed by soccer journalists, you can do so here. I myself have not listened to it yet, so I provide it without commentary.

Footy Prime guys aren't journalists. More entertainers than anything. Brennan is as dumb as a pile of rocks and absolutely incapable of thinking about an issue with more depth than a shallow puddle. If we are charitable, Sharman could be called a broadcaster. Having said all that, I am glad Footy Prime has found traction and is a regular part of the soccer dialogue in Canada.  

22 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Footy Prime guys aren't journalists. More entertainers than anything. Brennan is as dumb as a pile of rocks and absolutely incapable of thinking about an issue with more depth than a shallow puddle. If we are charitable, Sharman could be called a broadcaster. Having said all that, I am glad Footy Prime has found traction and is a regular part of the soccer dialogue in Canada.  

Yeah, I get it. Sharman and Forrest have broadcasting experience, and the show has rather routinely defended the CSB. So, my thought is this is an opportunity to ask some tougher questions of Westhead from a soccer specific show. Whether or not they did, I don't know. I still haven't listened.

27 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Having said all that, I am glad Footy Prime has found traction and is a regular part of the soccer dialogue in Canada.  

I've unfortunately found the show to be a bit bloated, with too much joking/banter and too many people on it. I find it a hard listen on any sort of a regular basis.

Just now, Watchmen said:

I've unfortunately found the show to be a bit bloated, with too much joking/banter and too many people on it. I find it a hard listen on any sort of a regular basis.

Agreed. Don't need to hear about anything from Dan Wong or the announcer voice guy.

And the 90s wannabe Howard Stern parts are a waste of time 

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

Adding real value to the conversation.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

If you want to listen to Westhead interviewed by soccer journalists, you can do so here. I myself have not listened to it yet, so I provide it without commentary.

Potential for retroactive punishment for flying drones in illegal airspaces is a bit concerning. Some of the quotes really makes me wonder where the top down pressure is coming from. Who is even left at the top to still be applying pressure? I thought the house had more or less been cleaned but it continues to happen  

The podcast with Rick Westhead is well worth a listen if a lot longer than it really needed to be. Makes a bit of a meal over being near the Fukushima reactor post-tsunami IMO having also been in Japan at the time but beyond that all very reasonable. He acknowledges candidly that his article about the financial impact of Copa America is one he would like to have back because it needed more context. According to him though the CSA received only $4 million rather than the reported $8 million from the run at the Copa with half going to the players.

A lot of posters on here would probably benefit from hearing the point he makes about his reporting being quite damaging to events that TSN carry both in the context of the World Juniors Hockey tournament and the CFL due to some Toronto Argos player who was a TSN analyst doing something bad (no idea what he's referring to in the latter case) before they come out with weird and wonderful theories about TSN deliberately using him to damage CanPL and CSB.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The story of the financial disaster of doing well at COPA is the only thing he wants back? Most of his stories dont have much context and damn near any regular on this board can poke holes in his stories or find spots where its seriously lacking in any sort of insight or depth. 

HAHA, the world junior tournie was hurt???  Ratings were down???   Flea bits on a dog....  Whereas the CPL/CSB are competitors for the same soccer viewership as the MLS heavy TSN.  And his reporting, coupled with the strange absense of coverage of CPL on TSN is enough for me to question whats going on around there.  And I'm still waiting on the in depth high profile expose with tons of insider reporting and insinuations of nasty misdeeds by the current TFC coach.  Culture of cheating over an entire span of his coaching carerr..you know something juicy like that.  That would be the next logical step of for an investigative reporter looking to get to the bottom of this scndal eh??  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The story of the financial disaster of doing well at COPA is the only thing he wants back? Most of his stories dont have much context and damn near any regular on this board can poke holes in his stories or find spots where its seriously lacking in any sort of insight or depth. 

HAHA, the world junior tournie was hurt???  Ratings were down???   Flea bits on a dog....  

In the wake of his reporting, Hockey Canada lost the following sponsors:

Bauer

Nike

Canadian Tire

Telus

Scotiabank 

Tim Hortons

Esso

Sobeys

Chevrolet

Skip the Dishes

Pepsi

A number did return, but the financial impact was not "flea bites on a dog", and I'm sure there was an impact between Hockey Canada and TSN over it.

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And I'm still waiting on the in depth high profile expose with tons of insider reporting and insinuations of nasty misdeeds by the current TFC coach.  Culture of cheating over an entire span of his coaching carerr..you know something juicy like that.  That would be the next logical step of for an investigative reporter looking to get to the bottom of this scndal eh??  

His latest article lays out that the culture likely started under Herdman, who he lists as now managing at TFC.

Edited by Watchmen

I love how people on this site BEG for more people covering soccer in this country and then promptly shit on everyone who covers the game in this country. Footy Prime is probably the only podcast in this country covering the game starting to gain a decent audience and there's good reason for that.

I'm looking forward to the Westhead interview when I have 45 minutes to give it a listen.

Edited by shermanator

24 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I love how people on this site BEG for more people covering soccer in this country and then promptly shit on everyone who covers the game in this country. Footy Prime is probably the only podcast in this country covering the game starting to gain a decent audience and there's good reason for that.

I'm looking forward to the Westhead interview when I have 45 minutes to give it a listen.

I mean Northern Futbol exists and does a better job covering the domestic game.

Footy Prime has a lot of EPL talk.

I admit their 3 dedicated MLS shows are good

49 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I've followed Sharman since the Sports World days and still want to hear what he has to say. I respect what Forrest brings as both a long time high level professional and a long time broadcaster. But 5 people on a podcast is usually too much to begin with, and in this case really isn't working for me when half of it simply seems to be attempted jokes. Great if it is for others, and like @narduch  I enjoy their 3Qs podcasts.

Edited by Watchmen

Alright, so I know the person responsible for flying a drone (not necessarily THE drone) adjacent to the Honduras training in late August 2021. They were an employee at appleby college, where the Honduran team were training. This person has no relationship with Canada Soccer. The reason for taking the drone footage was nothing other routine promotional footage from the kids summer camp happening at the college.

I don’t know how to reconcile this with Rick Westhead’s reporting that the team watched footage from these sessions. I DM’d him earlier today on twitter to share my information and sources. I was immediately blocked. Oh well.

Edited by ghostknownunknown