The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its kind of funny, since they all parted ways, TFC and Vanney/LAG are still spending top of the table money...with middling to poor results.  Bez has been much more frugal at Columbus and fielded better teams.  

Yea it's all facts, but this happens in world football too. (2021 Europa League Final - Man United Vs Villareal) fans shouldn't care about the GM optics, unless that spending affects ticket prices.

Money ball has been happening for a while now, and big spending has been too. I feel like it's pointless to mention it. 

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea it's all facts, but this happens in world football too. (2021 Europa League Final - Man United Vs Villareal) fans shouldn't care about the GM optics, unless that spending affects ticket prices.

Money ball has been happening for a while now, and big spending has been too. I feel like it's pointless to mention it. 

My point is that the common thread in the success was Bez, not spending the most money, not Vanney as coach etc...a smart GM. CSA could use some smart cookies around there, although why would anyone take that job unless they really loved Canadian soccer.    

On 9/22/2023 at 1:10 AM, Bison44 said:

My point is that the common thread in the success was Bez, not spending the most money, not Vanney as coach etc...a smart GM. CSA could use some smart cookies around there, although why would anyone take that job unless they really loved Canadian soccer.    

Bez spent a lot of money where he could (Gilberto, Defoe, Altidore, Bradley). He was successful because he wrote the GAM/TAM rules for the league so he knew exactly how to manage his team correctly. 

I would think he's a great fantasy manager, because he's able to pick whoever at his disposal while knowing players.

The national team isn't that, you have what you have.

• 2 months later...

I REALLY hate to bump this thread, but after the Copa America draw, on the post draw show, Julian DeGuzman basically said the players better smarten up and sign a deal before March, because the noise has to be eliminated so Canada can focus, qualify, and get the high profile match against Argentina. Maybe I misinterpreted, but it really sounded like he was putting the onus moreso on the players than on the CSA.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I REALLY hate to bump this thread, but after the Copa America draw, on the post draw show, Julian DeGuzman basically said the players better smarten up and sign a deal before March, because the noise has to be eliminated so Canada can focus, qualify, and get the high profile match against Argentina. Maybe I misinterpreted, but it really sounded like he was putting the onus moreso on the players than on the CSA.

It's always been the players for me....too much pocket-watching has them 5-3-4 post-WC. It's also probably the reason Herdman left, because he realized the players weren't budging and the money wasn't coming in. 

So Julian as a former player with 89 caps is right to speak up about it. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

It's always been the players for me....too much pocket-watching has them 5-3-4 post-WC. It's also probably the reason Herdman left, because he realized the players weren't budging and the money wasn't coming in. 

I should mention that another former international on the TSN panel, I forget his name at the moment, I think he's Irish, agreed with JDG. His words were "you don't get rich from the national team". I can't remember if Caldwell weighed in or not.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I should mention that another former international on the TSN panel, I forget his name at the moment, I think he's Irish, agreed with JDG. His words were "you don't get rich from the national team". I can't remember if Caldwell weighed in or not.

Probably Kevin Kilbane. 

I've said those exact words many times in this same thread. It doesn't make sense...at all. And this has got to end. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell didn't weigh in, as he seems to be back on the CMNT bench.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:19 PM, Kent said:

Good for them, but the damage has already been done. I see comments like this everywhere I look related to Canadian soccer 

https://twitter.com/Soccer4Canada/status/1734012304205685217

Let's be honest.. at the time there was a social agenda sweeping thru our culture.. influential people and media members were pushing it and got in the ears of a few of our players and they got caught up in it. It all made zero sense from the start

I really dont think many people support this stuff anymore and clearly those who never did finally feel free to speak up in a public forum without fear of backlash 

We should all just move on

Edited by SpursFlu

On 12/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, Shway said:

It is your contention that we got blasted by Japan and collapsed our defensive shape in the second half vs Jamaica because the players were concerned about stuffing their pockets?  Did Biello make horrendous substitutions in the 67th minutes because those three guys were focused on a payday and not a win?

Our record is indicative of the quality of the opponents, our staff and our players not in form. 

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

Not sure how much weight we should be putting on anonymous twitter accounts with followers in the hundreds. Anyone with any sort of agenda can say whatever they want to say to that effect.

It's one example of the type of sentiment that is everywhere I see discussion about Canada soccer online (e.g. comments on news articles, twitter, insta, reddit etc.). It's not one poster. I think the strikes, player's press releases, and the Westhead articles have likely had tangible effects on CPL. I've had friends hesitant to come to games because they see the league as some sort of villain

2 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Not sure how much weight we should be putting on anonymous twitter accounts with followers in the hundreds. Anyone with any sort of agenda can say whatever they want to say to that effect.

Normally I would agree but there are plenty of guys on here who think the same way, and we ae the people who are usually paying more attention to the whole picture eh??  

54 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It's one example of the type of sentiment that is everywhere I see discussion about Canada soccer online (e.g. comments on news articles, twitter, insta, reddit etc.). It's not one poster. I think the strikes, player's press releases, and the Westhead articles have likely had tangible effects on CPL. I've had friends hesitant to come to games because they see the league as some sort of villain

All that shit had an effect on CPL and the national teams.  From the day we qualified there was a steady drip drip of ugly news coming out between the men/women/CSA.   And the media trying to construct some sort of scandal to drum up click bait stories.   As soon as there was a significant pie (mens WC $$) to divvy up, everyone was very vocal about getting their share.  To hell with the youth program or future mens camps that would have helped prep that team for the next challenge. It was a massive success in mens qualifying, but in typical CDN soccer fashion we pissed away the goodwill/positive energy fighting amongst ourselves, men vs women, players vs CSA, fans/players vs CSB/CPL.   I just hope that they finally sign whichever deals they still need too, get these growing pains out of the way and start pulling together....CSA, players(men/women), CSB, CPL, MLS clubs etc etc.   

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

All that shit had an effect on CPL and the national teams.  From the day we qualified there was a steady drip drip of ugly news coming out between the men/women/CSA.   And the media trying to construct some sort of scandal to drum up click bait stories.   As soon as there was a significant pie (mens WC $$) to divvy up, everyone was very vocal about getting their share.  To hell with the youth program or future mens camps that would have helped prep that team for the next challenge. It was a massive success in mens qualifying, but in typical CDN soccer fashion we pissed away the goodwill/positive energy fighting amongst ourselves, men vs women, players vs CSA, fans/players vs CSB/CPL.   I just hope that they finally sign whichever deals they still need too, get these growing pains out of the way and start pulling together....CSA, players(men/women), CSB, CPL, MLS clubs etc etc.   

I don't think I can like this post enough. I echo every word.

Is it also not peculiar that the only MNT player (that I saw anyways) who made any sort of public post or appearance for Sinclair's send-off was Sam Adekugbe? It sounds like a very minor thing but it's not a good look at all.

Edited by FreddyCanuck

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Normally I would agree but there are plenty of guys on here who think the same way, and we ae the people who are usually paying more attention to the whole picture eh??  

Would love to see the CSA come to the conclusion that a partnership with the players is in the best interests of the game.  Never been a priority in the past and hopefully they finally see that.