The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

2 hours ago, narduch said:

If anyone needed proof that we maybe shouldn’t take everything the players have been saying at face value, it would be the fact that they have had to substantially walk back a statement that was issued recently.  I don’t know if it is an issue with the leadership or their advisors, but this statement makes them look even more amateur-hour than before.  

I love this group of players.  They have brought me immense joy.  But holy shit - someone needs to metaphorically slap them across the face and tell them to get their shit together when it comes to this battle - which is being played out in a very public manner (at the players’ choosing).  The fact that this is written pretty much entirely from the perspective of the women’s side  further reinforces the idea that the men and women are not even close to being on the same page when it comes to some of the core issues at stake.  

But yeah, something something CSA evil…

Back at square one and the real issue that the men and women aren't on the same page...but somehow the CSA or CSB will get mentioned.

This is absolutely embarrassing.

Especially the break down and mention of the "compensation is well above the minimum for an exit at the Group Stage"

No way the women approved of this message. If the did their at a come down, while the men have a different stance.

This is a civil war now. 

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

Westhead goes where the facts lead him  He's not a both sidesing it like some Republican attempting to throw shade.

Not sure how this got into party politics but if you think trying to get both sides is a bad thing, you probably have strong biases you don't want challenged.  Not sure what you mean by "throwing shade" in this context, maybe I am out of date but I just understood it to mean insulting someone. Don't need or usually want both sides to do that. 

You just said you thought all media rely on insiders for their stories, that's not real journalism - which should be seperate from politics - to me.  And thankfully that is still not always the case. 

Here we have a non profit organization (CSA) who says we have no money(or very little), male pro players that want more money, female pro players who want more money and equal to the men (even though they bring in less). I do not see why it is taking so long to figure this out. And here I was thinking it was an honor to play for your national team. I guess for some people it's an honor only if it pays well. Btw I'm not saying the CSA is innocent in all of this, if you do not have the money hire someone with the capacity to figure out how to get $$$$. I (and we I'm sure) are all fucking tired of hearing the same story now for years ( broke).

Edited by MtlMario

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure how this got into party politics but if you think trying to get both sides is a bad thing, you probably have strong biases you don't want challenged.  Not sure what you mean by "throwing shade" in this context, maybe I am out of date but I just understood it to mean insulting someone. Don't need or usually want both sides to do that. 

You just said you thought all media rely on insiders for their stories, that's not real journalism - which should be seperate from politics - to me.  And thankfully that is still not always the case. 

It's the same as fake news.  Don't like where the facts lead, may as well deflect and throw out alternative information.  I say the sky is blue, you say it is orange and green.  Is that providing two sides to the story, or is one just BS designed to ignore the truth.  

I like his journalism.  He isn't compromised like the One Soccer analysts who are essentially mouthpieces for the CSA.  

15 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I like his journalism.  He isn't compromised like the One Soccer analysts who are essentially mouthpieces for the CSA.  

It is easy to say facts are facts when you agree with them.  Human relations and their money are not as simple as one colour vs another. Wouldn't you agree?

It seems you like his journalism because it agrees with your point of view.  You admit he isn't trying to practice real journalism if he is just telling one side based on insiders.

I take information from lots of biased comprimised sources on various sides, knowing full well what they are, but the journalists I actually like try to make sense of as many views as they can. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

14 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

If they're filling all the international windows for the women, why are people blaming equality for being unable to play the cmnt in September cause then the women would need to play too?

This has been explained before.

It was reported that Canada Soccer turned down two friendlies in September because they couldn't match the spend on the women's side in the 2023 calendar year. Shitty for the men, but if that's what was agreed on then it is that it is. 

What really ticks me off is that now the Women suddenly have their calendar fully booked for 2023...

So, if I am following this correctly, we TURNED DOWN friendlies because the women never had their friendlies booked, but then they booked their friendlies in the end and we missed the boat in September.

Surely there is something I am not seeing here, because based on what I am understanding this makes zero sense. Someone please clarify. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This has been explained before.

It was reported that Canada Soccer turned down two friendlies in September because they couldn't match the spend on the women's side in the 2023 calendar year. Shitty for the men, but if that's what was agreed on then it is that it is. 

What really ticks me off is that now the Women suddenly have their calendar fully booked for 2023...

So, if I am following this correctly, we TURNED DOWN friendlies because the women never had their friendlies booked, but then they booked their friendlies in the end and we missed the boat in September.

Surely there is something I am not seeing here, because based on what I am understanding this makes zero sense. Someone please clarify. 

I should clarify before you jump to conclusions.... I am not upset the women have a fully booked calendar (if that's even accurate). That is fantastic for them! What is upsetting is that we turned down friendlies for apparently no good reason, so it turns out. 

Again, I am happy the women are getting their games. They deserve it.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Back at square one and the real issue that the men and women aren't on the same page...but somehow the CSA or CSB will get mentioned.

This is absolutely embarrassing.

Especially the break down and mention of the "compensation is well above the minimum for an exit at the Group Stage"

No way the women approved of this message. If the did their at a come down, while the men have a different stance.

This is a civil war now. 

I agree that the main problem in this particular situation is that the men and women aren't on the same page, but the CSA is still a shitshow in its own right and the CSB deal is still a terrible one.

These things can all be true at the same time. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is easy to say facts are facts when you agree with them.  Human relations and their money are not as simple as one colour vs another. Wouldn't you agree?

It seems you like his journalism because it agrees with your point of view.  You admit he isn't trying to practice real journalism if he is just telling one side based on insiders.

I take information from lots of biased comprimised sources on various sides, knowing full well what they are, but the journalists I actually like try to make sense of as many views as they can. 

Westhead has always been known as a fair and independent journalist.  It wasn't until he started investigating the CSA that a few disgruntled fans felt like the narrative was to unfair to one side.  

Just now, shorty said:

Maybe it’s equal dollars not equal number of fixtures. Might cost more to book a men’s team for a home fixture. Don’t know — just speculating. 

This crossed my mind too. It would be great for that to be clarified if that's the case.

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Westhead has always been known as a fair and independent journalist.  It wasn't until he started investigating the CSA that a few disgruntled fans felt like the narrative was to unfair to one side.  

I honestly don't know.  I lived out the country for years and read very little of his stuff in that time. 

I am going off what you said.  It is okay for him to tell one side based on insider information, is what I get going from your posts.  My challenge was to your assertition that all journalists did this.  That's fortunately not true. 

If he is beholden to insiders for his stories and only writes their side, he is just as comprimised as someone literally paid to write the other side.  His job depends on the relationship. Again you take information from such sources but it is not the only way to do it. Or the right way, in my opinion. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford