The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

So what is the hold up, have they still not agreed how to split up the mens WC payment?  Or are we not getting "full transparacy" on what both sets of players want??  They have gotten a good look through the books without finding snidely whiplash embezzaling millions of dollars, all the heads have rolled, negotiate something short term (through 2024) and then come back at the new management after next years elections.  

I still don't understand. Did we get the money from FIFA for qualifying to the WC? Because shouldn't that solve a lot of issues, at least short term?

Now I'm seeing people on social media implying based on the burn rate the CSA is in with their finances, they could end up filing for bankruptcy in a few years.

22 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I still don't understand. Did we get the money from FIFA for qualifying to the WC? Because shouldn't that solve a lot of issues, at least short term?

Now I'm seeing people on social media implying based on the burn rate the CSA is in with their finances, they could end up filing for bankruptcy in a few years.

Wasnt the deal that 70-80% of that go to the players? And Herdman had overspent on the mens side in the run up to Qatar.  We wont have another friendly cancelled and another strike or another round of covid...hopefully.  That debacle wiped out prob a couple million of the programs money.  

On 6/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, VinceA said:

I think the existence of that money created (or exacerbated) a lot of the friction between the CSA and the players. Mo money, mo problems.

New stance from the women. Can’t believe this won’t get settled, but it may not be pretty. 

Underlying issues basically the same as for the men’s team. Teams want more invested in the programs (including wages) notwithstanding what appears to be a federation that is severely stretched financially. 

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canadian-women-want-agreement-on-world-cup-participation-sorted-before-leaving-1.1975961

15 minutes ago, SF said:

New stance from the women. Can’t believe this won’t get settled, but it may not be pretty. 

Underlying issues basically the same as for the men’s team. Teams want more invested in the programs (including wages) notwithstanding what appears to be a federation that is severely stretched financially. 

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canadian-women-want-agreement-on-world-cup-participation-sorted-before-leaving-1.1975961

Yeah, ultimately if there is not enough money to meet all the demands then there isn't enough money.  The CSA just can't make the required funds magically appear.  The org is going to have to try to do more with less and the players may have to modify their demands a bit.

I suspect you’re right - the problem is there is a massive lack of trust between the sides and, frankly, some serious mismanagement of the federation (financially and otherwise) and it will be hard to rebuild that trust and find a compromise. 

Hopefully this doesn’t end too badly (ie a labour action). 

Herdman isn't the only manager who does fund raising.

When Biesla managed Chile from 2007-10, he donated the money from more than 100 paid speeches and lectures to fund improvements to the national team's training facilities. This included the showers which typically didn't have hot water, AC was off and on, beds were uncomfortable and tv sets were outdated. 

The Chilean FA did have enough funds to meet Biesla's demand that players travel to South America be in business class in order to conserve energy for his Murderball training sessions.

Bielsa also lived in a 8 square metre small room at the training centre. He said he wouldn't forgive himself if he didn't see the mountain view every morning when he woke up.

https://theathletic.com/4632965/2023/06/22/marcelo-bielsa-chile-uruguay/

GettyImages-613826844-scaled.jpg

On 6/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, SF said:

I suspect you’re right - the problem is there is a massive lack of trust between the sides and, frankly, some serious mismanagement of the federation (financially and otherwise) and it will be hard to rebuild that trust and find a compromise. 

This is getting kind of goofy though.  You had your public meetings, you looked at the financials, most of the people in charge got axed..what else?  Dont trust, verify.....which they have done.  At some point they have to sit down with a bank balance and a list of things both programs need in the next year or so and hammer it out.  At some point it is what it is and everyone needs to make due.    

Sinclair says deal for this year will happen in the coming days.

"All of us are planning on getting on an airplane on Monday and flying down to Australia ... It's not going to be some long-term deal, but at least cover this year."

"It's a long, slow, drawn-out process to get what we deserve. And I have full confidence that it's going to happen in the next couple of days. ... The plan is to go play in the World Cup."

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Insane article. We apparently turned down friendlies against Saudi Arabia and Korea for September that would’ve paid us hundreds of thousands because we couldn’t afford it

also, they had our guys flying coach… on AIR CANADA ROUGE. Might as well send them home on a Greyhound.

The way I understood that, was the cost of the camp would have been $700K for 2 games(Saudi Arabia and S. Korea), Saudi Arabia would pay us $500K, leaving $200K for the CSA to cover, but that would mean they would also have to host a WNT camp also costing $700K, which the CSA doesn't have the cash to do. 

This is absolutely pathetic stuff. About to co-host a World Cup and can't afford to even play friendlies. 

I know the CSB deal has been broken down over and over, but with that potentially in place until 2037 (!) is it hard to see any way for Canada Soccer to meaningfully dig out of this mess. 

Just now, canadave said:

This is absolutely pathetic stuff. About to co-host a World Cup and can't afford to even play friendlies. 

I know the CSB deal has been broken down over and over, but with that potentially in place until 2037 (!) is it hard to see any way for Canada Soccer to meaningfully dig out of this mess. 

file for bankruptcy, amend the CSB detail which appears both sides are willing to do

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

The way I understood that, was the cost of the camp would have been $700K for 2 games(Saudi Arabia and S. Korea), Saudi Arabia would pay us $500K, leaving $200K for the CSA to cover, but that would mean they would also have to host a WNT camp also costing $700K, which the CSA doesn't have the cash to do. 

Should we have a separate article in CSA finances?

3 minutes ago, canadave said:

Not really, they have loads of revenue sources that don’t belong to CSB. Taking strike action during one of their only chance in a while to utilize those sources certainly hurts though