The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

At this point, the recent new sponsor deals very likely outweigh the 3M we will get from CSB…. and those deals will only increase more as the profile of the team does.

I don't think they're there yet as 2/3 of the sponsors signed under the CSB/CSA deal are shared with the CPL.

Hockey Canada's Tier 1 sponsors were spending $2 million/yr. Of the new Canada Soccer sponsors, only Carlsberg & GE Appliances would have a large enough marketing budget to justify even a $1 million spend just for Canada Soccer. Both of them are also splitting their total spend between CPL/MLS and Canada Soccer.

2 minutes ago, red card said:

I don't think they're there yet as 2/3 of the sponsors signed under the CSB/CSA deal are shared with the CPL.

Hockey Canada's Tier 1 sponsors were spending $2 million/yr. Of the new Canada Soccer sponsors, only Carlsberg & GE Appliances would have a large enough marketing budget to justify even a $1 million spend just for Canada Soccer. Both of them are also splitting their total spend between CPL/MLS and Canada Soccer.

Isn't splitting between CPL and CSB essentially the same thing? Since CSB is owned by the CPL owners. 

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Apparently.. well dont take things so personally journo. I say a lot things to a lot of people. I'm not sure what's your background but where im from 2 guys can't really get on until they have a little tickle together. Maybe someday we can be friends.. besides I don't hate journalists, some of my best friends are journalists 

I don’t really care who you hate or like, to be honest. 

I just don’t understand your incessant need to gaslight people in here and simp for the CSA, but I’m not going to continue boring everyone else with this back-and-forth. Enjoy your night, I’m going to add you to my ignore list (at least for a little while) for my own sanity’s sake.

Just now, RS said:

I don’t really care who you hate or like, to be honest. 

I just don’t understand your incessant need to gaslight people in here and simp for the CSA, but I’m not going to continue boring everyone else with this back-and-forth. Enjoy your night, I’m going to add you to my ignore list (at least for a little while) for my own sanity’s sake.

Ok buddy see you later. I'm gonna go find out what simp means

58 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

How is the suit conversation still taking place? 

Gatorade is arguably one of the biggest consumer marketing entities in the country and they would be running canada soccer commercials right now but due to image disputes the best we have is the occasional TSN ad. 

I guess Gatarade wanted an ad with Canadian players in it. Instead we got that one with Messi

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Its funny that you mention naivety, because that was one of the first things that came to mind when reading an article that tries to paint the delegation wearing matching suits as some sort of outrageous controversy when that's what so many delegations do. I've been watching the Italian FA do that for nearly 50 years.

If I had said it was vital for World Cup success that these delegations attend and they all have some crucial function to play that would suggest naivety...but I  never said anything of the kind. The naivety doesn't come from expecting these delegations to play crucial roles (which nobody was doing as far as I can see), but from expecting that there wouldn't be one or that they'd all be dressed like Bruce Springsteen and the E-street band circa 1984. That's the impression that Westhead is giving, and its not the first time he's looked naive in one of his World Cup articles, but I guess that can happen when you suddenly start to cover the sport this year.

Given that the board is volunteer-based, it wouldn't take much for the international community to tell the difference between the haves and have-nots on a delegation. Its easy to see that the suits can be ordered by the CSA, and that they have an agreement with the provider to give those suits at reasonable cost.

In terms of the track suit being handed back in, unless its the Olympics, the WC, or the Youth tournaments, that wouldn't surprise me either. Suits for those would be specifically made for the player to be kept as a keep sake. No guarantee that the player who got a tracksuit for a training camp would get back to another training camp in the future.

Unfortunately, its our lot to get the media coverage we so deserve. Especially reporters who don't really have a clue.

29 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's deliberately misrepresenting what he read in the Westhead TSN piece. The Gatorade ad didn't go ahead because the CSA don't have an image rights deal with Davies and Phonz's people vetoed it. It had zero to do with the CSB deal.

Facts don't matter in an argument.

Journalists can't tell the difference between a player/player dispute and a player/CSA dispute.

Gotta be honest:

i get it for Davies and David…

they have to refuse they have the power, if Davies goes to Madrid the commercial power is out of this world. The CSA is poor while CSB robs them, Davies image will make the CSB so much money… Money that the CSA needs. David is going to hit star status at his next club, Kone could hit it and I’d imagine Rutty if he pans out could make them money. 

it’s not just jerseys, the corporate sponsors will keep coming and the deals will get bigger and the CSA will get fuck all. Something has to be done, Davies and David and our NT will literally be funding the losses of the CSB owners… Adidas is likely going to be scoping up our jerseys let’s be real. They will pay, so yeah, why help the guys who screwed the national team for the next near half century ?

It's pretty hysterical watching the same guys as you'd predict bending themselves in to pretzels to be counter culture. Who's paying the journalist? 100k wouldnt even go that far on helping send players families.  How do we know they spent 11k on BUYING personalized suits, maybe they just spent 11k RENTING personalized suits!

12 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

It's pretty hysterical watching the same guys as you'd predict bending themselves in to pretzels to be counter culture. Who's paying the journalist? 100k wouldnt even go that far on helping send players families.  How do we know they spent 11k on BUYING personalized suits, maybe they just spent 11k RENTING personalized suits!

People who don't know the cost of anything these days.

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

As a man I find it a little strange and a bit embarrassing to walk around with another man's name on my back. Maybe for little kids

Me too.   It would make me feel like a jock sniffer.  I find this is especially true when it comes to club teams because that players name that your putting on your jersey will very likely move to another team sooner or later.  Either by wearing out his welcome, getting traded, signing elsewhere (like a club rival), or (in some rare cases) end up in the news for non-sporting reasons in a negative way.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

He's deliberately misrepresenting what he read in the Westhead TSN piece. The Gatorade ad didn't go ahead because the CSA don't have an image rights deal with Davies and Phonz's people vetoed it. It had zero to do with the CSB deal.

So the two are not connected? 1 poor deal doesn't create tension on other business matters? 

Would love to hear you justify how they are not connected. 

53 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Me too.   It would make me feel like a jock sniffer.  I find this is especially true when it comes to club teams because that players name that your putting on your jersey will very likely move to another team sooner or later.  Either by wearing out his welcome, getting traded, signing elsewhere (like a club rival), or (in some rare cases) end up in the news for non-sporting reasons in a negative way. 

I understand this, but also understand It’s a money making thing. Reason why they make new kits every season, and tbh the kit year signifies when a player played at a club. A little more unique than say basketball where vintage/throwback jerseys are a thing because the uniforms don’t change often.

@SpursFlu I was just being cynical, because I agree. However the “as a man” part was toxic masculinity 🤪.

My only Canada jersey with a name on it is a Canada basketball jersey with Davies name on it.(you had to pick a name).

And when I was younger I used to put my own name , but then thought it was corny…to each is their own.

39 minutes ago, Shway said:

I understand this, but also understand It’s a money making thing. Reason why they make new kits every season, and tbh the kit year signifies when a player played at a club. A little more unique than say basketball where vintage/throwback jerseys are a thing because the uniforms don’t change often.

@SpursFlu I was just being cynical, because I agree. However the “as a man” part was toxic masculinity 🤪.

My only Canada jersey with a name on it is a Canada basketball jersey with Davies name on it.(you had to pick a name).

And when I was younger I used to put my own name , but then thought it was corny…to each is their own.

No worries... I tend to add an extra layer of cheese to my comments so I'm never surprised to get a bit of blowback. I was just kinda making the point that thats a lot of people's preference anyways and it's also a bit cheaper to buy generic. I actually agree with the players around their names being on the shirt and receiving a piece of the action. The only issue is I don't think its that simple. At face value people act like it's the association playing hide the money but I there are a lot of moving parts and it probably has more to do with the supplier and how the deal is structured between the association and the supplier. Really the CSA probably doesn't need to use the players likeness to make a bunch of dough 

Bit of a side note.. im not sure if other people have had this experience but just even wearing a jerseys is viewed as a bit taboo with some English footie supporters. Its to be changing a bit but just even scanning the fans in England you don't see as many kits in the stands

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, David Pinto said:

So the two are not connected? 1 poor deal doesn't create tension on other business matters? 

Would love to hear you justify how they are not connected. 

There's no evidence of the 2 things being connected. You invented the connection in your own mind. That's all.

7 hours ago, David Pinto said:

Isn't splitting between CPL and CSB essentially the same thing? Since CSB is owned by the CPL owners. 

The premise I replied to was if Canada Soccer was going it alone. Ex the run up to WWC 2015, they haven't been good in getting sponsors. They have never shown they can keep sponsors beyond a cycle or two. So far, CPL looks to have punched above their weight with 5-6 sponsors not with Canada Soccer.

From a sponsors' view, they still have to decide how much money & effort to allocate to each. It is a good complementary mix, which is likely why most have signed on for both. 

National teams can quickly provide very high engagement/exposure but the windows are short & irregular. More monies will also need to be spent to gain exposure during World Cup/Gold Cups.

A league's regular schedule makes marketing easier and the upside in club football is much larger than national team football but payoffs take longer and are incremental.

Edited by red card