The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

5 minutes ago, Metro said:

Not if Westhead's source for the contract was someone other than a player.

Westhead is only receiving information from the players, according to some interpretations on here.

That this goes completely against his established body of work is irrelevant, I guess.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Westhead is only receiving information from the players, according to some interpretations on here.

That this goes completely against his established body of work is irrelevant, I guess.

Yes, you're right, I deleted my post shortly after writing it.  There's that, plus Westhead would have been given the document to disclose it to the public, anyway.

45 minutes ago, Metro said:

Yes, you're right, I deleted my post shortly after writing it.  There's that, plus Westhead would have been given the document to disclose it to the public, anyway.

To clarify, my point was more that the players could ask him for a copy if they are really insistent upon wanting to see it - I don't and didn't think for one minute that one of the players has a copy and could feed it to him so that he could then feed it back to them, as that wouldn't make any sense if they are insisting upon seeing a copy of it. They wouldn't need to if they already had one

I'm really don't anyone thinks that Westhead is only getting his info from the players, his previous "story" (as he termed it) made that quite clear with all the quotes from ex-CSA, player agents and Earl Cochrane. There's obviously a lot of info he is getting exclusively from the players though, and this latest tweet about the players now picking a fight over needing permission to have their names on the back of jerseys (even though this is something they surely must have known about eons ago - or did they really think all those jerseys they get asked to sign at the end of home matches are all unofficial homemade knockoffs knitted by the grandmothers of the kids who wear them?)  is presumably the latest example of that. So if they have a good working relationship, makes sense IMO to leverage that and then get the CSB presentation as well.

Edited by Gian-Luca

We  have an agreement in place to use player likenesses on products.  We are 100% paying a royalty that goes to the player.   They also get to ok the product before it is sold. 

I can't believe it is the end of July.... but finally FINALY in a position to start putting these out there. 

This is an example of the kind of thing I am talking about.

image.png

2 hours ago, Admin said:

We  have an agreement in place to use player likenesses on products.  We are 100% paying a royalty that goes to the player.   They also get to ok the product before it is sold. 

I can't believe it is the end of July.... but finally FINALY in a position to start putting these out there. 

This is an example of the kind of thing I am talking about.

image.png

Saw the prototype and it looks amazing. Must have item.

8 hours ago, Shway said:

That’s what wealthy people do. He’ll be good on his taxes. 😉

I agree that 99% of charities are bullshit, jobs for well to do people and a tax benefit but I wouldn't call him wealthy. He's working on it for sure but I still just have him in the rich category 

I genuinely think he's sending a message here and he would prefer to just get on with things

Nothing says I could care less about a few points here and there like I'm just going to give it all away anyways. Needless to say he doesn't seem too engaged with the negotiation process 😀

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree that 99% of charities are bullshit, jobs for well to do people and a tax benefit but I wouldn't call him wealthy. He's working on it for sure but I still just have him in the rich category 

I genuinely think he's sending a message here and he would prefer to just get on with things

Nothing says I could care less about a few points here and there like I'm just going to give it all away anyways. Needless to say he doesn't seem too engaged with the negotiation process 😀

WTF?! He makes 5 Million Euro's a Year and he's only Rich, not wealthy! 😅

4 hours ago, Metro said:

I'm going to leave this right...here:

This seems like a classic non-story and Westhead picking at a big nothing. 

Many associations like the CSA will have related entities, and they can use them or not. They could be registered, not cost hardly anything, be reserved in case of possible use, and then left without activity. 

This does not mean that the Foundation not being active is a lost opportunity. It simply depends. If the CSA can generate income and attract sponsors by other means, it may not need this federation. We don't know the related tax incentives and if sponsoring or supporting the CSA has a higher cost than doing the same through a Foundation. 

It seems clear Westhead wants to set up a dichotomy whereby the CSB, which does exist, is blocking the progress of soccer in Canada, and this Federation attached to the CSA, which de facto does not exist, would never have done such a thing and would have been much better. Pure speculation of course.

The figures they cite from the similar Hockey, Golf and Basketball foundations are not that high. If we were to compare with hockey, for example, we'd be talking about maybe a few million left ungathered. Or basically the gate of the cancelled Iran friendly.

This isn't a big story.  These foundations exist all over the place - hospitals, schools, etc.  And, yes, sports organizations (I have been a board member for foundations in both sport and other arenas). 

The financial upside for a sports organization foundation is limited.  This would have never been a panacea for the CSA and its funding issues.  Not even close.

That it was registered and unused is, at best, evidence that the CSA struggles turning ideas into execution.  But, again, it's really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

3 hours ago, SF said:

This isn't a big story.  These foundations exist all over the place - hospitals, schools, etc.  And, yes, sports organizations (I have been a board member for foundations in both sport and other arenas). 

The financial upside for a sports organization foundation is limited.  This would have never been a panacea for the CSA and its funding issues.  Not even close.

That it was registered and unused is, at best, evidence that the CSA struggles turning ideas into execution.  But, again, it's really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

100% but isn't that sort of the story?  Or part of it anyway? 

An idea, something modest even, that can't be anything more than half assed started and then abandoned because you know, it's the CSA.  Limited resources, limited attention span, and otherwise spread too thin.

Presumably there is some overhead for foundations like this? I mean, someone has to get the word out on how people can donate. Someone has to cash the cheques and balance the books? I am curious how much the expenses are for say, Basketball Canada to run their foundation which only resulted in 113k last year.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:38 PM, SF said:

Yes, that's quite possible. Perhaps likely. What really strikes me is that we see former CSA directors speaking on the record about the CSAs failings. It's quite incredible to me.

In a few instances it has seemed like a pretty clear breach of their duties of confidentiality, which do not lapse just because they are former directors. 

2 minutes ago, ted said:

Yes, which is probably why they never actually proceeded. Someone looked at the numbers and saw they could get more revenue for less costs by doing a deal with CSB and outsource the whole thing. :)

I heard from a former CSA director that they created the Foundation to give aspiring soccer journalists like Westhead something to get their feet wet on.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Presumably there is some overhead for foundations like this? I mean, someone has to get the word out on how people can donate. Someone has to cash the cheques and balance the books? I am curious how much the expenses are for say, Basketball Canada to run their foundation which only resulted in 113k last year.

There would be, yes.  It's likely modest.  Probably in the range of 10-15% of gross revenue.  The basketball Canada example is a good one - $113 is a small amount and, frankly, is it worth the time/effort?

Also, these foundations will need to have a charitable mission.  The money raised can't simply go toward augmenting their staff salaries or some other standard operational expense.  They would need to be directed toward a charitable outcome (e.g. playing fees for disadvantaged youth).

Honestly, given the mission and challenges of the CSA the creation of the foundation was likely just a flight of fantasy.