CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Panama- Sunday, June 5 4pm PT / 7pm ET, BC Place, Vancouver

If you want more proof that CSA is completely useless, Sportsnet 650's morning show spent all week trying to get someone (literally anyone) from the team to be a guest on the show, through the CSA, in order to help promote the game and discuss the team.  The CSA gave them no one, until late in the week when they said Vitoria (and no one else) could be on.  But he couldn't be on until after the morning show was over.  Congrats CSA, you continue to make a bad situation worse.

If you don't listen to the show (and I'll assume most of you haven't), they were frustrated that Vancouver didn't get to host any WCQ games but also understanding - that qualifying mattered the most.  They were excited that a World Cup team was finally coming to Vancouver (Iran) only to then have that game yanked away.  And now they're trying to promote the Panama game and getting absolutely no help from the CSA.  It's not in that clip, but they end with basically saying that the team succeeds in spite of the CSA, not with any help from them.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If you want more proof that CSA is completely useless, Sportsnet 650's morning show spent all week trying to get someone (literally anyone) from the team to be a guest on the show, through the CSA, in order to help promote the game and discuss the team.  The CSA gave them no one, until late in the week when they said Vitoria (and no one else) could be on.  But he couldn't be on until after the morning show was over.  Congrats CSA, you continue to make a bad situation worse.

If you don't listen to the show (and I'll assume most of you haven't), they were frustrated that Vancouver didn't get to host any WCQ games but also understanding - that qualifying mattered the most.  They were excited that a World Cup team was finally coming to Vancouver (Iran) only to then have that game yanked away.  And now they're trying to promote the Panama game and getting absolutely no help from the CSA.  It's not in that clip, but they end with basically saying that the team succeeds in spite of the CSA, not with any help from them.

That's my take on the CSA and the NT.

The most ironic/hilarious part of our leadership is how Nick Bontis is apparently a professor on human capital? Like they say, those who can’t do ... teach. I don’t think you could manage to screw up an absolute tap in like the CSA has. They’ve been handed generational stars and a World Cup team and can’t even manage to break even. 

6 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Am I misremembering or were Blizzard matches shown on global? If not, I must remember watching highlights on the sports show Global did at night. 

I believe you are correct, I seem to remember Blizzard matches on Global!

Edit: Of course they were on Global, they owned the team for a while:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/08/14/The-Toronto-Blizzard-of-the-North-American-Soccer-League/3711366609600/

Edited by gator

The CSA has never been the greatest when it comes to promoting the team, but this stuff about Vitoria is bizarre- why only him as an option to speak to a certain branch of the media in Vancouver? I have not heard of them ever being like that before, and there is another article I posted where the reporter speaks to Cavallini, Johnston and Henry at the camp so the rule doesn’t apply there.

Nothing about this makes sense, and I can’t even begin to guess why they would do a Vitoria-only rule for a local radio station 

46 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The CSA has never been the greatest when it comes to promoting the team, but this stuff about Vitoria is bizarre- why only him as an option to speak to a certain branch of the media in Vancouver? I have not heard of them ever being like that before, and there is another article I posted where the reporter speaks to Cavallini, Johnston and Henry at the camp so the rule doesn’t apply there.

Nothing about this makes sense, and I can’t even begin to guess why they would do a Vitoria-only rule for a local radio station 

Seems like their obvious plan is to circle the wagons and lay low

13 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

media appearances

Why would any player, staff or coach really want to stand in front of the media right now and get eviscerated. The media storm regarding Iran in the last 2 weeks was worse than horrific. Why was it so divisive?  Because Canada Soccer now matters! That's a good thing for soccer fans.

After all is said and done ... players, staff and coaches ... and true MNT fans, just want to play soccer. None of them are geopolitical commentators or even care to be. The media will not leave it alone because it's salacious.

Let's just play soccer.  I'm sure that's all players, staff and coaches want too.

6 minutes ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

Why would any player, staff or coach really want to stand in front of the media right now and get eviscerated. The media storm regarding Iran in the last 2 weeks was worse than horrific. Why was it so divisive?  Because Canada Soccer now matters! That's a good thing for soccer fans.

After all is said and done ... players, staff and coaches ... and true MNT fans, just want to play soccer. None of them are geopolitical commentators or even care to be. The media will not leave it alone because it's salacious.

Let's just play soccer.  I'm sure that's all players, staff and coaches want too.

See that's just poor sports media management by the CSA.  

In sports, the rule of thumb is that you face your decisions head on. You fucked up? Then you face the media and apologize to the fans who financially support you. You believe in your decision? Then you face the media and stand your ground. I'm literally an amateur and even I know this shit.

Quite frankly, I believe the way the CSA has handled this whole debacle has been disrespectful to all the fans. Especially the hardcore ones who have given them so much time  and money over the years. 

At the end of the day, the CSA is run by a bunch of amateurs who don't know what they're doing. It's time to clean house. The players have stepped up to the next level. The federation management hasn't.

Edited by Ally McCoist

i agree that changes need to happen at soccer Canada.  It happens all the time in the business world.  Current management takes an entity to a certain level, and then they get replaced by people who are more experienced, can take things to the cliched "next level".  The change can be due to self recognition of limitations, but sometimes its not and you need a nudge to get things going... hello board of directors? 

13 minutes ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

So, you are suggesting the Board should fire players who don't want to talk to the media and Herdman and his technical staff for recommending a game against Iran.

They're supposed to provide oversight of management... if a game was recommended against Iran, it would have needed management's approval (i assume).  Management didn't consider/failed to consider all the possible things we have seen in the last 2-3 weeks.  That's their responsibility... none of that falls on of technical staff, coaches, or players. 

Someone from CSA or the coaching staff needed to get in front of this and present their side, and it seems like they are all hiding somewhere.  You know..." Iran would have been good prep, lots of Iranian fans, 400k is a standard fee for the traveling team and we didnt realize there would be a backlash and we cancelled it when we saw it was a problem..now on to our new opponent and our wonderful team".

If only we had some sort of TED talk giving, detail oriented, camera loving guy in charge to "fight for the shirt" like he wants the players to do.  Take some heat for the program, take some blame and get the media off the old story and on to the new one...tearing Panama a new AHOLE in front of a packed house in Van and preping for the WC in the fall. 

1 hour ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

Because the 650 crew wouldn't have "eviscerated" them. They were planning to attend the Iran game. They don't think the CSA handled it well but they're not blaming the players at all. And they were trying to promote the game the CSA does have on this weekend.

So, has anyone heard anything about a group gathering before the game with the voyageurs or whom ever? My friends would love to join up with some fans for something. Any info. would be nice. PM me if necessary.

Cheers,

Darryl 

33 minutes ago, DeWalli said:

So, has anyone heard anything about a group gathering before the game with the voyageurs or whom ever? My friends would love to join up with some fans for something. Any info. would be nice. PM me if necessary.

Cheers,

Darryl 

We are meeting at Red Card

We are going there because I did not want another bar to open for us and staff it when we could not gaurantee a decent crowd for them.  RC is already open. 

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Because the 650 crew wouldn't have "eviscerated" them. They were planning to attend the Iran game. They don't think the CSA handled it well but they're not blaming the players at all. And they were trying to promote the game the CSA does have on this weekend.

Yep. Both of them follow soccer closely and are scornful of the expectation in the market that they talk all hockey all the time. They want to talk Canada soccer and are usually thoughtful and informed interviewers. It would have a been a good opportunity for the CSA to either get their message out and / or promote the game.