CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Panama- Sunday, June 5 4pm PT / 7pm ET, BC Place, Vancouver

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

I wonder if the Thursday game happens. 

Ok, let's start facing FIFA sanctions.   This whole scenario is utterly ridiculous.   Having some money to actually have meaningful youth programs would be nice.  How about we hear exactly what the players are offering and what the CSA is offering.  Who's being unreasonable. I'm willing to bet the middle ground is probably the appropriate spot and both are being greedy.  The CSA completely screwed this up by not dealing with this a month ago.  

1 minute ago, Diego said:

I vote for DeRo cheque signing goal celebrations.

I mean that got people talking! 

I actually expected something along those lines. Or on a tshirt or grabbing a sign from the crowd or something. 
perhaps the media pro producers would have cut it out though. 

I wonder if the original match being Iran stopped the players from expressing their position sooner as it may have looked bad that they were protesting money when everyone else was protesting playing a country who are blamed for murders and human rights issues. 

43 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

The privatization should not have been allowed in the first place.  I’m behind the players calling for transparency - we need to know all the terms, and see the money trail - especially as the big players (aka “Hamilton Mafia”) have interests in so many other ventures.

This sounds great in principle, but is pure fantasy. It just isn’t commercial reality - competitively sensitive terms won’t be publicly disclosed. Maybe the players will be able to negotiate access to the docs under a CA, but it won’t go beyond that. 

Looking back in hindsight post Olympic gold and post WC qualification, it seems like the CSA cut a lousy deal. In reality, it was in all likelihood the only deal on the table. TSN, Rogers, CBC were nowhere to be found. 

Finally, as to the Hamilton mafia, looking at another way, these guys have been the only ones willing to fund soccer in this country of late. In a more favourable light, they may be framed as generous benefactors. 

Just now, prairiecanuck said:

Ok, let's start facing FIFA sanctions.   This whole scenario is utterly ridiculous.   Having some money to actually have meaningful youth programs would be nice.  How about we hear exactly what the players are offering and what the CSA is offering.  Who's being unreasonable. I'm willing to bet the middle ground is probably the appropriate spot and both are being greedy.  The CSA completely screwed this up by not dealing with this a month ago.  

For both the CSA and the players qualifying for the world cup in Qatar id found money, like winning the lottery. It baffles me completely that clowns on both sides of the issue could not see beyond the dollar signs blocking their line of vision. You players get some bonus money because you have certainly earned it. The CSA gets some money to run or establish the programs and matches which will ensure that Canada continues to produce the strong national teams of late and is able to improve scouting and run camps for younger teams. Seems sensible, no? Prairiecanuck is right, methinks. Greed on both sides. Idiots all round.

Regardless of the situation, the lack of games and opportunities to play WC-qualified teams has severely stunted the Canadian team's preparations. Every other WC-bound Concacaf team is playing strong opposition and preparing. It's so frustrating to watch. 

If we get to Thursday and this fiasco hasn't ended, do we not even get to see Canada play Curacao? C'mon. The team hasn't been at a WC in 36 years and there is no excuse to let internal drama kill our momentum. Let's get on with it. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Regardless of the situation, the lack of games and opportunities to play WC-qualified teams has severely stunted the Canadian team's preparations. Every other WC-bound Concacaf team is playing strong opposition and preparing. It's so frustrating to watch. 

If we get to Thursday and this fiasco hasn't ended, do we not even get to see Canada play Curacao? C'mon. The team hasn't been at a WC in 36 years and there is no excuse to let internal drama kill our momentum. Let's get on with it. 

CSA should have tabled an offer months ago. Seems to me they wanted to back the players into a corner. Watch guys like Dero, JDG, Stalteri and others come out in support of the players. CSA is going to be outed as the villains here, likely.

53 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Totally agree, and the former players must SPEAK UP, those who won the Gold cup Forrest  Peschisolido Radzinski stalteri  dasovic hastings etc and those who couldn't qualify occean friend de guzman Simpson 

48 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

These 2 posts in rapid succession really cracked me up