CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Panama- Sunday, June 5 4pm PT / 7pm ET, BC Place, Vancouver

47 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Fair. Overstatement on my part to claim it’s nonexistent.

Now that said,  there’s  also stuff like the US Government case against FIFA which roundly crushed their aura of being above government  interference. 

I’ll tell you what though, if the Canada wants to do something here, they aren’t going to let FIFA deter them.

Edited by ag futbol

40 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

Players got 5 million in "players fees"? 

That's a lot of money.

Nope I am def not on the side of the players on this one. Playing for your country should be a honour.  Optics for the players itself is not good cause you just basically screwed the fans over who travel far and spend a lot of money. 

not sure what the player fees refer to, but that's revenue that soccer canada got, not what they had to pay out to players for appearances.   what they paid out to players probably fell under "men's teams" in expenses, which did go up a lot, from 3 million to 11 million, 2020 to 2021.

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

That they cancelled the game is a real inconvenience for lots of people - myself included.  It also may create lots of bad blood.  But the whole point of action like this is to prove they're serious.  You can always say that it's a bad time, and people would say the same thing vs. Curacao.  Next thing you know it's September, and we're saying what a bad time to do this is because the tournament is around the corner.  

I think this is exactly the right time to do this.  I'm sour no doubt, but it is better to do this now than later - there are very few better opportunities to make a statement like this.  

I support them 100%.

They should have never even accepted the call and travelled to Vancouver if they were actually not going to play. That would have made it clear to everyone what was at stake and how serious the issue is while also not turning into a huge colossal waste of time and big FU to the fans

Edited by Floortom

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I don't think that no one noticed. I believe people commented on this thing when it was happening. CSB/MediaPro bought low on Canadian soccer but took on some risk with that. Now that their bet has hit, things started to get complicated.

The privatization should not have been allowed in the first place.  I’m behind the players calling for transparency - we need to know all the terms, and see the money trail - especially as the big players (aka “Hamilton Mafia”) have interests in so many other ventures.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Anyone find lineups for tonight's game?  I've looked all over (twitter, myspace etc.) and I can't find anything.  Did Edwards get the start?

i dont know about edwards,,but Bontis is getting the start in net

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

You look like an idiot now. 🤡

No, because I posted what should happen. I've seen literally dozens of similar cases and never seen a match canceled in these circumstances. 

Idiotic is making my position, standard in world soccer, a wrong view. That I'm wrong is a serious indictment of the CSA and the players. 

Have to say: that player statement is just ridiculous. I'm amazed fans could think the players' role is to analyze the CSB, it's not serious. They don't even speak like players, there is no attempt to communicate a players' perspective. It's like an NGO lobbying a policy decision at some city hall. 

Leaving fans high and dry today is a grave error and a miscalculation, and exposes the whole program. 

There's more to being right or wrong on a fan forum, but that I was wrong (that the hysteria was justified) is very worrying. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

As I was all primed for a game thread tonight, I may just comment on the Panama - Canada game that is going on in my head instead.  That might be just as fun:

Lineups are out - Canada going with a 1-1-8 formation here.  Interesting to see that they are leaving Johnston back to hold the fort with Eustaquio in front of him behind a front line of (left to right): Davies - Brym - Ugbo - David - Cavallini - Larin - Hoilett - Buchanan.  Quite a gamble but I think it'll pay off.

Is not a good example for the people on minimum wage,  as Souness used to say, I'm not getting into anyone's pocket and wallets but, the are always some riffs, so for sportsmanship you first Play then go public, you play in protest, but you are a player, you play.   Maradona Cantoná  and Stoichkov fought for a footballers union, and unionist representation like 25 years ago.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

As I was all primed for a game thread tonight, I may just comment on the Panama - Canada game that is going on in my head instead.  That might be just as fun:

Lineups are out - Canada going with a 1-1-8 formation here.  Interesting to see that they are leaving Johnston back to hold the fort with Eustaquio in front of him behind a front line of (left to right): Davies - Brym - Ugbo - David - Cavallini - Larin - Hoilett - Buchanan.  Quite a gamble but I think it'll pay off.

I want what you are drinking lol