CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Panama- Sunday, June 5 4pm PT / 7pm ET, BC Place, Vancouver

Just now, PastPros said:

"Hey guys, let's play the game for the fans and figure this out afterwards"

No?

Not saying they don't have a gripe but they sure as hell lost a lot of goodwill with this decision.

And then when it isn’t figured out before curaçao, it’s hey guys this is a real game, we can’t skip it, let’s figure it out afterwards, and then it’s “well this our last game before the World Cup”, so on.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

And then when it isn’t figured out before curaçao, it’s hey guys this is a real game, we can’t skip it, let’s figure it out afterwards, and then it’s “well this our last game before the World Cup”, so on.

I meant after the June window.

Set an August 1 deadline?

1 minute ago, PastPros said:

I meant after the June window.

Set an August 1 deadline?

In the players statement, they say Bontis only agreed to meet them as of 4PM last night for the first time ever. I think the CSA has made it clear they’re willing to ignore the players until the final possible moment, so extending deadlines doesn’t seem like it will do any good. While this supremely sucks, canceling a friendly against a CONCACAF team to make a stand is better than any of the other options that present themselves if the problem is kicked down the road. 

I don't have the energy yet to read through all the specifics but knee jerk is overwhelmingly fuck the CSA and also fuck the players too. It's the fans that are short handed. Some that have traveled across the country, those with shit life situations that spent their hard earned money looking for an escape but get a slap in the face. Most of which all earn less in a year than these players earn in a week. 

They could have threatened the away game next week and gone through with that preparing fans that were potentially traveling. I realise there is far more at play than what I have seen but I wanna knee jerk vent and I wanna knee jerk vent NOW.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The hysterical comments here about the game not being played, with no basis for them in the least, just shows the inexperience of so many fans. 

Why would a negotiation about bonuses affect a game schedule? Are people so fragile that they think they are about to get a divorce because their spouse says you've overcooked the steaks?

I am a bit disappointed in the lunacy I'm seeing. The game is 100% on from day one and the contract signed with the Match Agent, BC Place and the two federations. There was never the least indication that would change. 

The only thing that bothers me is the players not training on Saturday either (unless somehow Herdman and co used the time to prep tactics for our WC rivals, which would have been interesting), and even worse, rumours of being seen out late the night before a match. That is extremely disrespectful to the fans, who deserve their team to fully prep. If they don't play this match with full verve they are going to hurt their cause badly.

You look like an idiot now. 🤡

Edited by Ally McCoist

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I don't have the energy yet to read through all the specifics but knee jerk is overwhelmingly fuck the CSA and also fuck the players too. It's the fans that are short handed. Some that have traveled across the country, those with shit life situations that spent their hard earned money looking for an escape but get a slap in the face. Most of which all earn less in a year than these players earn in a week. 

They could have threatened the away game next week and gone through with that preparing fans that were potentially traveling. I realise there is far more at play than what I have seen but I wanna knee jerk vent and I wanna knee jerk vent NOW.

Dude/dudette: consider the Panama players! I mean, they gotta be here, right? What the heck? Get over yourself.

Amateur hour for the players. They have lots of time to dispute this later toward the September window. The players could not have picked a better way to ruin good will among otherwise excited fans. Dumb move, boys!

Amateur hour for the CSA which was unable to arrange a June 5 match initially. Two games in Vancouver in a week cancelled. Brutal! Simply brutal!

22 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Has ramifications for the Gold Cup... never-mind pissing FIFA off... which could have lasting punishments as well (2026 host games?) 

Need to tread carefully with this. 

Not for Gold Cup it’s just a friendly. If they miss nations league yes 

Cool, arrived downtown paid for parking and having lunch and now I check to see the game is cancelled.

Honestly the CSA and players can go fuck themselves. I shelled out 80 bucks a ticket and took Thursday off for the Curacao game too (missing out on the 25% off after the Iran game got cancelled). Honestly I hope I can get a refund or something at this point. 

Just a total disaster and everyone involved should be ashamed.