CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Panama- Sunday, June 5 4pm PT / 7pm ET, BC Place, Vancouver

I can’t wait to have real attendance conversations based on the actual numbers. At this point it’s hindsight talk, and excuses (whether valid or not).

I think this is the first time in long time the threads have been populated with politics and optics, and less about tactics.

There are some valid concerns about attendance.  They are not limited to Vancouver. 

This is mostly speculation and an attempt at discussing things to find solutions.

I think match fatigue is a real thing, and there is a strange sense of, I don't know what to call it, 'completeness' to qualifying.  Not that the world cup is not interesting, but qualifying was like getting a monkey off your back.  I think there area  number of people who feel like they can take their foot off the gas a bit.  And those people are responsible for bringing lots of other people. 

We, and the collective we as in all the SGs are getting older.    We need to change that and unlike the club SGs we have the flexibility to do more interesting things with space in the stadium.   A wholesale change of who we sell to and how we sell tickets in the section is needed.  

A very successful and unique WCQ run masked the changes.  I told people that the Jamaica game would be the 'last' Voyageurs game as we normally experience them. 

I'll chime in with my ticket experience for this and I am sure I'm not alone:

6 of us were coming to Iran game from Victoria (3 of whom had never seen Canada play and were pumped to see the game), I was contemplating getting a Curacao ticket but why would I given I'm already seeing Iran. 😄

Iran game cancelled -- general disappointment all around ☹️

So, rather than skipping Canada all together I now buy a ticket to Curacao game with a friend who has seen Canada previously (mid-week game means others can't travel to watch it). 😑

Then Panama gets scheduled BUT in the meantime everyone  has made plans so nobody (including me) can go AND ticketmaster says that I can get 25% off my curacao ticket because I originally had Iran tickets BUT too late I can't use the discount cause I already bought my curacao tickets. 🥴

So, we go from 6 people going to an Iran game and sharing the experience with three new, keen fans to a situation where there will be 2 of us rattling around the stadium watching Curacao.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to watch and cheer on the boys. This will be my third game but with this Iran screw up and the cancellation of the T and T games in Victoria  I now have the  same amount of games watched as games cancelled. 

Not awesome. And I'm a die hard fan who has watched all the shitty streams and watched Canada play some minnow on a cricket pitch and I'm frustrated!

48 minutes ago, Admin said:

There are some valid concerns about attendance.  They are not limited to Vancouver. 

This is mostly speculation and an attempt at discussing things to find solutions.

I think match fatigue is a real thing, and there is a strange sense of, I don't know what to call it, 'completeness' to qualifying.  Not that the world cup is not interesting, but qualifying was like getting a monkey off your back.  I think there area  number of people who feel like they can take their foot off the gas a bit.  And those people are responsible for bringing lots of other people. 

We, and the collective we as in all the SGs are getting older.    We need to change that and unlike the club SGs we have the flexibility to do more interesting things with space in the stadium.   A wholesale change of who we sell to and how we sell tickets in the section is needed.  

A very successful and unique WCQ run masked the changes.  I told people that the Jamaica game would be the 'last' Voyageurs game as we normally experience them. 

Absolutely agree with that.

Some of this could be just that, and in the future maybe games against perceived “minnows” can go to those smaller cities that would eat it up.

Save the larger centres and stadiums for the biggest matches.

3 hours ago, Razcal said:

There are loads of cities that a game against Curaçao would be cherished. 
Did the CSA mess things up? Absolutely, but that Curaçao game has been known about for awhile.

A full lower bowl should be the minimum expectation for the Curaco game.

Can you name which cities would sell out a large stadium against Curaçao with the majority of tickets available costing $106?

Edited by f26522

43 minutes ago, RS said:

I can't believe it took this long for the thread to devolve into a regional pissing contest.

Progress?

Lol nope, just distraction from the Iran debacle. Regional pissing contests are as natural to Canadians as Maple Syrup 😄 and I think it'll stay that way so long as the Canadian population is geographically stretched across a vast and diverse landmass that gives rise to unique and varying experiences. My city/province is better than your city/province isn't going anywhere, probably will get worse if anything.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

From the get go the shitty attitudes of people trying to make a point about Vancouver based on this has been pathetic, he's just one more of the bunch. So don't worry about him, but I am surprised how many losers like that guy there are on this board. 

If anything the CSA owes matches to Vancouver done properly, not abusively and chaoticallty, to make up for this mess. 

Fact is, as you say: the GTA sells badly for the CMNT considering its population base, it is outdone by Edmonton or Vancouver time and time again. 

They had a near sell-out for Iran, had to trash it and 5 days before kick off presented another one. With a pricing scheme that undermined the pricing scale for Curaçao. It is ineptitude in living colour, absolutely nothing can be expected from the fans in BC after how they've been treated.

Without even an apology from Bontis, who is behaving totally irresponsibly. Even with this friendly, apparently solved by Concacaf, he should probably resign.

What’s the story behind Bontis getting the top job at soccer Canada?   I would assume that it’s now a full time job, if it wasn’t already.  He’s also a medical doctor, which is a very demanding job in and of itself.  How does one juggle both at the same time?  I would struggle doing that, but I’m just a mere mortal…

14 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

What’s the story behind Bontis getting the top job at soccer Canada?   I would assume that it’s now a full time job, if it wasn’t already.  He’s also a medical doctor, which is a very demanding job in and of itself.  How does one juggle both at the same time?  I would struggle doing that, but I’m just a mere mortal…

Bontis an MD?   I thought he taught biz at McMaster.

EDIT: Bontis is not an MD. He might have a PhD, but is not a medical doctor

19 minutes ago, Admin said:

Bontis an MD?   I thought he taught biz at McMaster.

EDIT: Bontis is not an MD. He might have a PhD, but is not a medical doctor

Dr. Bontis has a PhD in business from Western and has been a professor at McMaster for at least 20 years. His area of research is on human capital. He was my business strategy professor, albeit 17 years ago. He was an excellent prof.

3 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Sorry, my bad,  I saw him referred to as Dr and thought he was also a MD.

Yeah, not a medical doctor, but he makes people call him Dr. Bontis. Maybe it's just me, but when people go by Dr. despite not being a medical doctor, it makes me think they are doing that to try to give the illusion that they are smart, which makes me think they are probably dumb.

Hopefully our CSA president isn't actually dumb. I haven't really formulated an opinion on him. Glad to hear he was at least a good prof according to Maplebanana.

34 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, not a medical doctor, but he makes people call him Dr. Bontis. Maybe it's just me, but when people go by Dr. despite not being a medical doctor, it makes me think they are doing that to try to give the illusion that they are smart, which makes me think they are probably dumb.

Hopefully our CSA president isn't actually dumb. I haven't really formulated an opinion on him. Glad to hear he was at least a good prof according to Maplebanana.

I think your train of thought here is common, so not just you. However, I find that line of reasoning a little funny, since medical doctors are not necessarily the smartest “doctors” out there, yet we assume they are, by and large, and we default to the assumption that any other doctors are likely beneath them on the intelligence scale. I know, of course there are many PHDs out there who aren’t brilliant minds, but just saying.... :)

Edit: I am sure Bontis is a smart individual. Think what we want of the CSA, but getting into that position says something. At least I like to think it does.

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think your train of thought here is common, so not just you. However, I find that line of reasoning a little funny, since medical doctors are not necessarily the smartest “doctors” out there, yet we assume they are, by and large, and we default to the assumption that any other doctors are likely beneath them on the intelligence scale. I know, of course there are many PHDs out there who aren’t brilliant minds, but just saying.... :)

I don't assume medical doctors are smart. Some are, some aren't. But if you are calling yourself doctor and it isn't so that people know if someone collapses unexplained that they should look to you for immediate help, I think it's because you want to be assumed to be smart, because you have a hard time convincing people otherwise that you actually are smart.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't assume medical doctors are smart. Some are, some aren't. But if you are calling yourself doctor and it isn't so that people know if someone collapses unexplained that they should look to you for immediate help, I think it's because you want to be assumed to be smart, because you have a hard time convincing people otherwise that you actually are smart.

You’re probably right on that. But I am sure others want to be referred to by that title as a sign of respect for their accomplishment, or maybe just because they are proud of it because it was hard work, not necessarily because they want to be thought of as smart. Maybe they want to be thought of as hard working, or dedicated, etc. 

But I know what you are touching on though, perhaps many of these individuals have an insecurity somewhere, be it intelligence or something else. Insisting you be referred to as xyz could be a sign that something is off....

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Having a doctorship in something just means you've become very knowledgeable in a very narrow subject field. What's impressive is the level of focus, determination and commitment to get there.