Concacaf Nations League #1: Canada vs Curaçao- Thursday, 9 June, 7:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm ET - BC Place, Vancouver

Is this game "ideal" or "optimal" preparation for Qatar? Of course not.  But we need games, we need to get the guys together, we've got to play these damn CNL games anyways, so let's get some perspective.  This is but one game in June, FFS.  Considering all the recent turmoil and distraction, this will be a very good opportunity to get the lads back on track. They will need to be sharp against Curacao.

Now, if the CSA cannot land us proper friendlies in the coming months, then we should all be outraged. 

54 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here. Curaçao are just another CONCACAF team. You're trying too hard to justify this is good prep for our WC opponents. Better than nothing for sure. But good prep? Nah.

They have a lot of youngsters playing at good level. They just won against Honduras, a good country. They will be hungry.

Little off topic but them and Suriname really improved their program. So did Jamaica. Damn even Haiti and Cuba (now they allow expatriates) can field a team of pro players.

And remember, tomorrow’s game is not a friendly. I would call it good prep. Unfortunate that the game versus Iran was cancelled.

3 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

They have a lot of youngsters playing at good level. They just won against Honduras, a good country. They will be hungry.

Little off topic but them and Suriname really improved their program. So did Jamaica. Damn even Haiti and Cuba (now they allow expatriates) can field a team of pro players.

And remember, tomorrow’s game is not a friendly. I would call it good prep. Unfortunate that the game versus Iran was cancelled.

Honduras was trash this cycle. I certainly wouldnt call them good even ignoring the fact that they were missing most of their best players (Najar, Lozano and Elis) against Curacao.  

I just saw the Hutch and Herdman interviews. My instincts tell me it don't look good for tomorrow's game. Both men sounded like they were given a couple of weeks to live. Judging from those two interviews I feel the air has come out of the team. I think they're going to come out flat and listless.

I hope I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I just saw the Hutch and Herdman interviews. My instincts tell me it don't look good for tomorrow's game. Both men sounded like they were given a couple of weeks to live. Judging from those two interviews I feel the air has come out of the team. I think they're going to come out flat and listless.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not so worried. This is the part that they are used to, they can control this, they can get out and run them into the ground, beat them silly eh??  They have been sitting around talking business...time to kick ass.  If they lose after all this its going to be a real kick in the crotch for them.  I dont think they'll let that happen.  

18 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Is this game "ideal" or "optimal" preparation for Qatar? Of course not.  But we need games, we need to get the guys together, we've got to play these damn CNL games anyways, so let's get some perspective.  This is but one game in June, FFS.  Considering all the recent turmoil and distraction, this will be a very good opportunity to get the lads back on track. They will need to be sharp against Curacao.

Now, if the CSA cannot land us proper friendlies in the coming months, then we should all be outraged. 

Yeah but ideal preparation would have been playing against big name countries. This would have been ideal but did that happen? No because they either got canceled or our association didn't do a good enough job of coordination with the other countries' associations to make that happen. USA at least had better preparation playing either a big name country or even playing countries period. Canada on the other hand did not. Nations League to me won't matter and why? Because of all these issues the CSA has.

I hope we can come out and make a statement tonight that we are organized on the field regardless of the things happening off of it.  But it is hard to say how much of an impact the sideshow will have.  I can legitimately see both extremes coming to pass.  

And while I am looking forward to seeing them play again, I have to admit that this is the lowest level of excitement I have had in advance of a game for a long time.  Whether the context, the fact that it is a lower competition after the highs of WCQ, or that I have a debilitating man-cold, I am just not feeling it this time.  Will still cheer but this one just feels… different.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I hope we can come out and make a statement tonight that we are organized on the field regardless of the things happening off of it.  But it is hard to say how much of an impact the sideshow will have.  I can legitimately see both extremes coming to pass.  

And while I am looking forward to seeing them play again, I have to admit that this is the lowest level of excitement I have had in advance of a game for a long time.  Whether the context, the fact that it is a lower competition after the highs of WCQ, or that I have a debilitating man-cold, I am just not feeling it this time.  Will still cheer but this one just feels… different.  

I cant remember the last match that I cared less about. Hopefully we get some excitement back in the coming months 

ITS GAME DAY

I expect Davies to come out like a rocket, it’s his first national team game in Vancouver. Cavallini will want to put on a show at BC place and he knows he needs to because he’s on the bubble of the World Cup roster. Eustaquio will want to show his Porto move is no fluke. David is looking at a potential transfer and so is Larin. These guys are hungry. Lastly, Laryea wants to show he can be picked to play in the EPL. 

LETS GO!

47 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I cant remember the last match that I cared less about. Hopefully we get some excitement back in the coming months 

Its the Nats; I've been jonesing for this match since Panama away.

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

ITS GAME DAY

I expect Davies to come out like a rocket, it’s his first national team game in Vancouver. Cavallini will want to put on a show at BC place and he knows he needs to because he’s on the bubble of the World Cup roster. Eustaquio will want to show his Porto move is no fluke. David is looking at a potential transfer and so is Larin. These guys are hungry. Lastly, Laryea wants to show he can be picked to play in the EPL. 

LETS GO!

Attaboy.   Just reading this post perked me up a bit.  Thanks 

44 minutes ago, Alex said:

ITS GAME DAY

LETS GO!

Not only that, but it'll be the first time in 2022 that we have all our starters (except Osorio I guess).  Can't wait to see what Davies can do with Buchanan and how we'll look up top with those two outside.

I'm excited.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but ideal preparation would have been playing against big name countries. This would have been ideal but did that happen? No because they either got canceled or our association didn't do a good enough job of coordination with the other countries' associations to make that happen. USA at least had better preparation playing either a big name country or even playing countries period. Canada on the other hand did not. Nations League to me won't matter and why? Because of all these issues the CSA has.

Cheers, but how come it often feels like you aren't really reading any of the other posts BEFORE you post yours? You've a wonderful knack for stating--and restating--the obvious. Give us some fresh insight, mi amigo. Go out on a limb. (Or are your posts merely AI-generated? We've been infiltrated, folks. First the drones, now the bots.)