Concacaf Nations League #1: Canada vs Curaçao- Thursday, 9 June, 7:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm ET - BC Place, Vancouver

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Representing your country is not a job. 

This is greed and arrogance 

It's all found money for these guys

If they were really bout it they would send the money to the CPL player pool

Should it be charity for the CPL player pool though?

I mean, it's bonus money that's been won by the men's national team program for qualifying, right? I think it's more accurate to say they "earned" that money instead of saying they "found" it.

The question is, should they have kicked up such a stink for this newly found/earned prize money, which is totally unrelated to their primary source of income? That's just a matter of opinion, I guess.

I don't believe they should be obligated to donate it, but it would be cool if they could find a way to give some back to fans that were inconvenienced by the cancellation. 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I don't give a shit what your opinion is.

You are posting about directly harassing our national team players on a forum that is under my name. 

There are a lot of hyperbolic over the top posts floating around on all the platforms. 

Is this post about harassing our players one of those hyperbolic posts or not?  If it is a statement of intent, let me know so I can erase this and you from this forum forever. 

Cause this is 100% unacceptable. 

The players need to know that just because they have agreed to continue with training, I - and I'm sure many others - support their efforts to negotiate a better deal.

It's not an easy situation to be in, but continuing to play is the right move. It shows they value the success they've had and care to give 100 per cent for us. Continuing to play will only increase support for the team and give them more leverage imo.

Good on them, and looking forward to Thursday.

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Next time you get a paycheque, give part of it to another guy who has less seniority. If you don’t you’re greedy and arrogant. 

12 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

So are we going to see Ike Ugbo in this one?  Sorry to turn this thread to the players and the game.  Some of you seem pretty engaged in other stuff!

I'm not sure we see him start, but he may get some time.  With everything else going on, my guess is that Herdman will want to smash Curacao.  That means a David-Larin partnership with Davies and Tajon on the outside.  That's my guess.

I'd like to see our core lineup with Ugbo in the place of either David or Larin, and not Kaye in the middle because he doesn't deserve it. An attacking formation as this match doesn't help us for Qatar. 

Borjan

Johnston - Victoria - Miller

Laryea/Tajon - Piette - Eustaqiuo - Adekugbe 

Larin - Ugbo - Davies

Really, a useless game for Qatar preparation. 

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd like to see our core lineup with Ugbo in the place of either David or Larin, and not Kaye in the middle because he doesn't deserve it. An attacking formation as this match doesn't help us for Qatar. 

Borjan

Johnston - Victoria - Miller

Laryea/Tajon - Piette - Eustaqiuo - Adekugbe 

Larin - Ugbo - Davies

Really, a useless game for Qatar preparation. 

Curacao just split their games with Honduras and had 57% possession in one game and 58% possession in the other losing 1 to 0 to Honduras and winning 2 to 1.  Most of their team was born in the Netherlands.  They are an experienced team who have just played 2 matches.  They are going to be sharp having just played 2.

I think useless is perhaps a bit of an overstatement.  

16 hours ago, narduch said:

CSA offering Buy one get one free for this game now.

Also offering 75% if you bought Iran or Panama tickets 

This is interesting.  I haven't received an email or any information about the Buy One Get One, or the 75% off.  I'd be interested to buy tickets but would like to get the deal!

51 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Curacao just split their games with Honduras and had 57% possession in one game and 58% possession in the other losing 1 to 0 to Honduras and winning 2 to 1.  Most of their team was born in the Netherlands.  They are an experienced team who have just played 2 matches.  They are going to be sharp having just played 2.

LOL come on dude you and I both know this is the equivalent of Poland playing Luxembourg. Let's not kid ourselves here.

4 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

LOL come on dude you and I both know this is the equivalent of Poland playing Luxembourg. Let's not kid ourselves here.

So a decent match then? Luxembourg has a good team these days. 

With curaçao having played twice already we should bury them. 

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

Maybe, and if they had that possession at least we could try to match them on possession, sure.

But if we can't line up the way we would vs. Croatia, Belgium or Morocco, it is mostly useless.

Because we are not going to offer any of those rivals an open attacking model with no caution and no cover. It is not at all comparable in terms of quality or playing style, and playing at home, it would look damn silly to line up and play as if some guy in Dutch 2nd tier was Modric and that the guy beside him with a decent shot was De Bruyne. Or to have Davies hang back to help cover Achraf up the wing.

This game is good to get some players into the system, like Ugbo, and back into it, like Piette, and give minutes to someone "new" like Raheem. But little more and nothing to learn for Qatar, IMO.

I also think we have to try to win fast and big to shut a few mouths. If they have trouble, then folks are going to rightly say they are distracted, should have trained, should have played the prep vs Panama, and that maybe they should focus on their business before worrying about everyone elses.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

13 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Curacao doesn't have a lot of history, but over the past few years have emerged with dual nationals from the Netherlands. Curacao is a good team. Here are some recent results, in addition to their split against Honduras that was just mentioned.

2019 Gold Cup
Lost to El Salvador, beat Honduras, tied Jamaica, advanced out of the group, lost 1-0 to the USA in the quarter-finals (while we were busy losing to Haiti)

2019-20 Nations League
Beat Haiti at home, tied Haiti away, tied Costa Rica away, lost to Costa Rica at home, came 2nd in the group (hence they stayed in League A to make it into our group)

2021 Gold Cup
Curacao qualified, but couldn't play due to a COVID breakout.

2022 World Cup Qualifying
Won their group of 5 teams, which included Guatemala. Then lost 2-1 in a 2 leg match to Panama to narrowly miss out on playing in the Octagonal.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Curacao doesn't have a lot of history, but over the past few years have emerged with dual nationals from the Netherlands. Curacao is a good team. Here are some recent results, in addition to their split against Honduras that was just mentioned.

2019 Gold Cup
Lost to El Salvador, beat Honduras, tied Jamaica, advanced out of the group, lost 1-0 to the USA in the quarter-finals (while we were busy losing to Haiti)

2019-20 Nations League
Beat Haiti at home, tied Haiti away, tied Costa Rica away, lost to Costa Rica at home, came 2nd in the group (hence they stayed in League A to make it into our group)

2021 Gold Cup
Curacao qualified, but couldn't play due to a COVID breakout.

Won their group of 5 teams, which included Guatemala. Then lost 2-1 in a 2 leg match to Panama to narrowly miss out on playing in the Octagonal.

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here. Curaçao are just another CONCACAF team. You're trying too hard to justify this is good prep for our WC opponents. Better than nothing for sure. But good prep? Nah.

Put another way.

2019 Gold Cup
Curacao - 2nd in group, lost QF
Canada - 2nd in group, lost QF

2019 Nations League
Curacao - qualified for League A, came second in group
Canada - qualified for League A, came second in group

Curacao - won first round group, lost 2nd round matchup to eventual 5th place Octagonal opponent
Canada - won first round group, won 2nd round matchup, won Octagonal and some got a very big head about it, ignoring all that happened before.

I think them having played two matches already, travelling, then having to travel for this one, will cut into their game readiness. 

I honestly don't think we have an excuse and I suspect the players don't want to give anyone an excuse to speak badly of them and will come out blazing. 

A little bothered it won't be on for me in Europe until very late.

1 minute ago, Ally McCoist said:

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here. Curaçao are just another CONCACAF team. You're trying too hard to justify this is good prep for our WC opponents. Better than nothing for sure. But good prep? Nah.

Obviously they aren't at the same level as Croatia, Belgium, or Morocco, but they aren't a minnow to just walk out and pound like you were suggesting.

9 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

They are no better or worse prep than Panama in my opinion. So if you don't consider Panama to be good prep, fair enough on Curacao. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

This is interesting.  I haven't received an email or any information about the Buy One Get One, or the 75% off.  I'd be interested to buy tickets but would like to get the deal!

I got that email. From what i can gather, you should be offered the deal at ticketmaster.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Just select a seat on Ticketmaster and the Buy One Get One offer will appear.