Concacaf Nations League #1: Canada vs Curaçao- Thursday, 9 June, 7:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm ET - BC Place, Vancouver

11 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I just saw the Hutch and Herdman interviews. My instincts tell me it don't look good for tomorrow's game. Both men sounded like they were given a couple of weeks to live. Judging from those two interviews I feel the air has come out of the team. I think they're going to come out flat and listless.

I hope I'm wrong.

I didn't get that impression at all.  They might come out listless and even lose the game but I don't think they are deflated.  Atiba sure can dance around a question though, he gave Herdman a run for his money in how to pretend you're saying something when you've said nothing.

11 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I just saw the Hutch and Herdman interviews. My instincts tell me it don't look good for tomorrow's game. Both men sounded like they were given a couple of weeks to live. Judging from those two interviews I feel the air has come out of the team. I think they're going to come out flat and listless.

I hope I'm wrong.

These guys are professional athletes. This is no less discouraging for players than guys like Eustaquio and Laryea basically not playing since the octo, or David being extremely snake bitten in France, etc. Many of our players had difficult club seasons, and considering how players get paid, that would be more of a distraction than a CSA dispute.

38 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I didn't get that impression at all.  They might come out listless and even lose the game but I don't think they are deflated.  Atiba sure can dance around a question though, he gave Herdman a run for his money in how to pretend you're saying something when you've said nothing.

29 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

These guys are professional athletes. This is no less discouraging for players than guys like Eustaquio and Laryea basically not playing since the octo, or David being extremely snake bitten in France, etc. Many of our players had difficult club seasons, and considering how players get paid, that would be more of a distraction than a CSA dispute.

Although I was very optimistic during the Octo  and said they could finish first, I knew then and know now that their strength isn't having the most talented team. The USA has more talent than we do. Maybe even Mexico. We do have talent on our team but I think those two teams have more.

So Canada's ace in the hole is their team spirit, their enthusiasm, their desire to put a stamp on Canadian sports history. In those two interviews I saw disillusionment, disappointment in both Hutch and Herdman. I didn't feel any enthusiasm. We may beat Curacao tonight (maybe) but unless Herdman can pull a rabbit out of his rear end I don't see the same team going to Qatar that I saw back in March.

As John Lennon said, "The Dream is Over."  Reality has set in.

43 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

The bonehead who was 'conducting' the order of the questions interrupted Herdman twice. 

That was Richard Scott, who is the head of Communications.  He was probably just doing his job although from the outside, it seemed harsh cause we wanted to hear more.  

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Cheers, but how come it often feels like you aren't really reading any of the other posts BEFORE you post yours? You've a wonderful knack for stating--and restating--the obvious. Give us some fresh insight, mi amigo. Go out on a limb. (Or are your posts merely AI-generated? We've been infiltrated, folks. First the drones, now the bots.)

Maybe because I see all the issues and it is all too reminiscent of my own country's issues from 8 years ago in Brazil. Canada is going down that same path or it looks like they are and because of that it is starting to sour me on this team real fast.

Yah now I know why in Brazil people far prefer following and talking about the Brasileirao and have what seems like nothing but negative things to say about the national team.

To me the national team was a nice escape from all the negativity and crap that gets rammed down our throat everyday. It felt more genuine and real. The whole thing has just completely soured me on the national team. I'll go back to my actual day to day challenges not some else's supposed problems 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah now I know why in Brazil people far prefer following and talking about the Brasileirao and have what seems like nothing but negative things to say about the national team.

To me the national team was a nice escape from all the negativity and crap that gets rammed down our throat everyday. It felt more genuine and real. The whole thing has just completely soured me on the national team. I'll go back to my actual day to day challenges not some else's supposed problems 

Fair weather fan.

18 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Although I was very optimistic during the Octo  and said they could finish first, I knew then and know now that their strength isn't having the most talented team. The USA has more talent than we do. Maybe even Mexico. We do have talent on our team but I think those two teams have more.

So Canada's ace in the hole is their team spirit, their enthusiasm, their desire to put a stamp on Canadian sports history. In those two interviews I saw disillusionment, disappointment in both Hutch and Herdman. I didn't feel any enthusiasm. We may beat Curacao tonight (maybe) but unless Herdman can pull a rabbit out of his rear end I don't see the same team going to Qatar that I saw back in March.

??? We have the best player in CONCACAF and played those two teams in subzero weather, those were our advantages. I don’t think you can fault players for being less enthusiastic about a relatively meaningless match against a minnow than they are to face the best teams in their conference. Not to mention, every single player on this team faces worse adversity at their club than this pay disparity BS. You think Davies cares more about this than Bayern choking in Europe? David more so than his awful 2022? All our guys who are getting zero minutes, Larin and Atiba being afterthoughts at Besiktas, etc. I think you’re overthinking a short interview, because if these guys are discouraged, there are a million other things aside from some national team drama.

16 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I feel it's too early to come to this conclusion. These guys are professionals. I doubt they somehow lost the enthusiasm to forge their own path and be pioneers by hitting their internal goals and metrics. That's what's driven the team and the team spirit, that ace up the sleeve, that's predicated on believing in the brotherhood, which is more intact then ever. I would be concerned if guys started pulling in different directions, but these guys are all together and on the same page, by all accounts, and the coach is supportive of them. Don't confuse disappointment or exhaustion with this issue with losing motivation to be the best Canada side ever. I think those are two entirely seperate things, personally. These guys will be fine in the long run.

I think I'd still like to see St. Clair in goal for this one. I'm assuming it will be Kaye & Eustaquio starting in midfield with Hutch being saved as a starter in Honduras.

Otherwise, a lot of the experimentation I was hoping to see in the Panama friendly (Ugbo, Edwards, maybe even Brym) I think will now get chucked out of the window.

27 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I don’t think we can extrapolate the prevailing vibe in early November form the current malaise.  The labour issue just happened, the game that wasn’t is still fresh in everyone’s mind, and there is still a lot of public dialogue about what happened which is distracting from the focus.  But this too shall pass. 

Heading into November, none of these guys are going to be moping about some speed bump back in early June.  There may be some kind of residual effect within the public (someone burned because of wasted time and effort may hold a grudge) but I am confident that the enormity of the WC and the fact that we have finally returned to the world stage will wipe away any negativity.  To a man, the guys will be fulfilling a lifelong dream.  I don’t think it will be hard for them to get their mojo back.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

31 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think I'd still like to see St. Clair in goal for this one. I'm assuming it will be Kaye & Eustaquio starting in midfield with Hutch being saved as a starter in Honduras.

Otherwise, a lot of the experimentation I was hoping to see in the Panama friendly (Ugbo, Edwards, maybe even Brym) I think will now get chucked out of the window.

Herdman loves him some Brym....he'll still prob get in both games somehow.  And I bet we see StClair...why not?? He has been gangbusters in MLS.  

I really dont think malaise or lack of motivation will enter into this.  When we should have been up for big games the guys came out slow and cautious...didnt make much sense.  But I think they have been dinking around talking about everything but soccer, and now is the chance to get back and thump these guys while the national attention is on them.  Turn the story from "canada soccer is back to being a clusterf#ck"..which those hockey shit heads love to write...into "Davies scores hat trick in triumphant return to VAN".  

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

Any word if the full Curaçao team came to Vancouver?

No reason to think they never. Anita, Bacuna 1.0 and 2.0 were all called into this window. Cuco Martina is there as well. They have a forward at Helsingborg who scored against Honduras and is killing it in Sweden. A lot of weapons for sure, we'll have to be at our best and we should take 3 points.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I feel it's too early to come to this conclusion. These guys are professionals. I doubt they somehow lost the enthusiasm to forge their own path and be pioneers by hitting their internal goals and metrics. That's what's driven the team and the team spirit, that ace up the sleeve, that's predicated on believing in the brotherhood, which is more intact then ever. I would be concerned if guys started pulling in different directions, but these guys are all together and on the same page, by all accounts, and the coach is supportive of them. Don't confuse disappointment or exhaustion with this issue with losing motivation to be the best Canada side ever. I think those are two entirely seperate things, personally. These guys will be fine in the long run.

The Italian team was also made up of pros. Didn't stop them from flushing away their WC opportunity. Obviously, Canada is not going to lose their WC spot but I had them going to the round of 16. After those interviews, I just don't know anymore.

I just thought of the perfect example to give you. The 1980 Miracle on Ice team. The Soviets were pros and better players but the yanks won. They had a certain je ne sait quoi. That's what this Canuck team had. It was missing in the Hutch interview and what worries me more it was definitely missing in the Herdman interview.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

The Italian team was also made up of pros. Didn't stop them from flushing away their WC opportunity. Obviously, Canada is not going to lose their WC spot but I had them going to the round of 16. After those interviews, I just don't know anymore.

I just thought of the perfect example to give you. The 1980 Miracle on Ice team. The Soviets were pros and better players but the yanks won. They had a certain je ne sait quoi. That's what this Canuck team had. It was missing in the Hutch interview and what worries me more it was definitely missing in the Herdman interview.

Fair enough. That's just not my read on it though. I mean, take Hutchinson's interview. Why would he be glowing over this situation. It is obviously stressful for all. I guess where I disagree is that I think the tone of the interview starts and stops with that topic. If they come out flat today and/or lacking togetherness, then I will read more into the Hutchinson interview.

If they have a bit of rust, shake it off, then go on to win convincely, will your confidence be renewed?

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Fair enough. That's just not my read on it though. I mean, take Hutchinson's interview. Why would he be glowing over this situation. It is obviously stressful for all. I guess where I disagree is that I think the tone of the interview starts and stops with that topic. If they come out flat today and/or lacking togetherness, then I will read more into the Hutchinson interview.

If they have a bit of rust, shake it off, then go on to win convincely, will your confidence be renewed?

It wouldn't but it would be a start towards that

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Herdman loves him some Brym

And that's why I posted here a while back asking about why the Brym hate.  Herdman saw something in him (that many here didn't) and the results since have borne that out.  I could say the opposite about another player but hope I will be wrong.