Concacaf Nations League #1: Canada vs Curaçao- Thursday, 9 June, 7:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm ET - BC Place, Vancouver

6 minutes ago, nfitz said:

After last night's news conference, not to mention the Iran fiasco, and years of mediocre management (Earl Cochrane FFS?) I'm surprised anyone is blaming the players.

You can easily blame both sides.

i think everyone realizes how poorly run the CSA has been. Does that excuse the players cancelling a match at the last minute? Not to me. Again, if they would have said two weeks ago “we’re not going to play unless we have a deal in place” that would have saved a lot of heartache.

In so many people's minds on here the CSA are a bunch of stumblebums. Most have probably been complaining in here going back 20 years. Why change now. For others clearly they're drinking the Kool aid and their opinion on such a topic are predictable before even examining the facts. Theyre not even shy about it. So there you have it and 95% of the country just goes yawn and goes and does something else. People continue to just want to put the sport in their pocket like an indie band they discovered and nobody else can enjoy 

Edited by SpursFlu

I'm still likely going to go but know a few people who were going to get tickets to this game and now won't. I would not be surprised to see only 5k for this match. 50k+ sold for Iran, 20k+ sold for Panama and screwed over twice. I think most people in Vancouver who had any interest in this are just done.

The Panama cancellation cost CSA about $800k in revenue but it's going to have the effect of probably costing them another $200-400k in lost revenue for this game in tickets they could have sold but now won't.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

After last night's news conference, not to mention the Iran fiasco, and years of mediocre management (Earl Cochrane FFS?) I'm surprised anyone is blaming the players.

I support the players exploring the finances of the CSA and getting their fair share. I absolutely don't support screwing over fans in an attempt to do so when it was completely unnecessary. This whole situation has made every side look bad.

To anyone attending on Thursday, please do not boo this team. Have the past 36 hrs been incredibly frustrating and disappointing all around regardless, 1000%.  I've already seen a lot of people on Twitter planning to leave their seat empty, the place was already barely moving tickets to begin with.  But guys, this is going to be the last time they'll play on home soil before the World Cup. Let's not let contribute to this shitshow and let this sourness continue past this window. Get behind them, support them, and try and give them a proper send off the the worlds biggest stage

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

You can easily blame both sides.

i think everyone realizes how poorly run the CSA has been. Does that excuse the players cancelling a match at the last minute? Not to me. Again, if they would have said two weeks ago “we’re not going to play unless we have a deal in place” that would have saved a lot of heartache.

Who's to say the players weren't trying to set up meetings weeks/months beforehand to communicate just this...didn’t they state this in their letter? Perhaps Friday was their first crack in months at a formal sit-down with the CSA to communicate their demands and lay out the "consequences" should said demands not be met. How then can blame be put on the players if they hadn't even been given the chance to formally present their case until 2 days (if that) before the game? I can actually see the players wanting to give the CSA until the 11th hour to at least make some kind of progress, hoping they would so the game could be played. Result: no progress made, no game played. Anyways, I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions in there, but is it possible that's how it went down? And if so, can we even presume to make the claim that "it was the players who did the canceling"?

11 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'll be there. But it's only $3 on the bus. I fully support the players despite them cancelling. Hopefully it leads to CSA reform.

When I'm in Vancouver I'm walking distance to BC Place, but that's not the point. Getting kids together for an outing is a real labour, you can't leave fans in the lurch like that. 

I've dealt enough with union activities (I organized in the 80s and even went before the BC Labour Board) to understand communication is your best ally in a job action. 

Mind you, if Bontis is not at Curaçao as CSA president I hope he never gets a vote from BC soccer again. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

29 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The replies from the fanbase to this tweet aren't exactly unanimously supportive of the players, I wonder how aware the players are to the mixed reception they are getting.

I know it’s only practice one and the mood was always going to be subdued, but does anyone else feel that the energy is just gone? 

49 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I know it’s only practice one and the mood was always going to be subdued, but does anyone else feel that the energy is just gone? 

I don't know...after all that has happened the past couple of weeks, if they were laughing and smiling with one another, I'd be questioning their sanity. 😉

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

The replies from the fanbase to this tweet aren't exactly unanimously supportive of the players, I wonder how aware the players are to the mixed reception they are getting.

It’s tweets. If any of these guys feel some type of way about the Twitter replies, they have no business playing in Europe. Hell, this would be an off day for Lille Twitter this season.

6 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Regarding the game, Curaçao is going to be coming in looking for a result after their big win last night.  They looked much better in the highlights last night vs. Game 1 against Honduras.  Canada is not going to walk right over them, that’s for sure.

I thought Curacao edged the first game but couldn’t hit the side of a barn door.  This is a better side than people think.  We should win but not by 4-5 goals.

18 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Regarding the game, Curaçao is going to be coming in looking for a result after their big win last night.  They looked much better in the highlights last night vs. Game 1 against Honduras.  Canada is not going to walk right over them, that’s for sure.

I saw about half of their first game and thought they played decent, could have scored a goal.  

You know what.. im going to the game. I'm gonna walk over to behind the bench (because there will be nobody there) and I'm going to yell out how much each these pricks make a year. 23 yr old kids who wouldn't even know how to pay a hydro bill or have never seen a credit card statement because someone does it for them.

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Super helpful. Maybe you could also follow them to their car  or to their hotel and intimidate them. That will work and make things better. It will show that you're a big man and 

Oh sure very intimidating. Someone telling you how much you make. 

CSA I demand danger pay! That man up there is screaming 550 thousand dollars at me. I don't know what that means. Is that how much I get paid? I wouldn't know,  I'm 23 years old and I have done who does all that stuff for me

Edited by SpursFlu

11 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Who's to say the players weren't trying to set up meetings weeks/months beforehand to communicate just this...didn’t they state this in their letter? Perhaps Friday was their first crack in months at a formal sit-down with the CSA to communicate their demands and lay out the "consequences" should said demands not be met. How then can blame be put on the players if they hadn't even been given the chance to formally present their case until 2 days (if that) before the game? I can actually see the players wanting to give the CSA until the 11th hour to at least make some kind of progress, hoping they would so the game could be played. Result: no progress made, no game played. Anyways, I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions in there, but is it possible that's how it went down? And if so, can we even presume to make the claim that "it was the players who did the canceling"?

Well we know they have no problems leaking stories to the TSN guy.  Couldnt they have leaked this story a few weeks before that they were getting no where trying to cut this deal???  Seems weird there is nothing...then the hammer falls (another cancellation) in the absolute worst way possible, ie sucking up the cash which makes it less likely the players (both sexes) get bigger compensation.