Concacaf Nations League #1: Canada vs Curaçao- Thursday, 9 June, 7:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm ET - BC Place, Vancouver

So whats up with this game? I really hope a few players want to play and we can supplement the rest of the roster with CPL players.

That seems more appealing to me at this point than whichever players were behind the fiasco today

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So whats up with this game? I really hope a few players want to play and we can supplement the rest of the roster with CPL players.

That seems more appealing to me at this point then whichever players were behind the fiasco today

I've been thinking of this game too.

What are the chances we forfeit this?

Maybe its because I am an eternal optimist but I think what will happen is that there will an exchange of gestures. The CSA is gonna give something and the players will accept to play. Same thing for the game against Honduras. Those are official games and the consequences of forfeiting are way greater.

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

That seems more appealing to me at this point then whichever players were behind the fiasco today

That sound like a great way to loose an easily winnable game and alineate most of the fans even further...

I really dont see how Canada cannot play these games and after today I really dont see how the players in camp play

So who we got? Has to be all domestic and likely CPL

Bustos, Didic, Tabla, Rea, Bekker, Campbell, Borges, Zator, Verhoven, Verhoven, Fernandez, Gianstopolous

Edited by SpursFlu

Getting in to the Nations League final stage is going to be very important. These group games aren't as unimportant as they seem on face value. They'll have to field a team because there is no way to reschedule the next 2 games. If they don't play They'll likely forfeit the competition 

If the players are not training for this match either, and playing it is also not guaranteed, then Herdman has a problem and the entire squad is in jeopardy. 

First, they are breaking the team code if they are not training, not keeping stipulated hours (out late at night), and should be fined. There are plenty of cases where players breaking disciplinary codes are left off national teams.

Second, it would suggest Herdman has lost control of the group, since his responsibility is to field a team.

If he can't guarantee they will play he should probably be released. I am serious about this. His job is not to side with the players, he's a CSA employee. And not playing will bring with it serious consequences with Concacaf and FIFA. If you cannot do the minimal job of fielding a competitive squad, then why are you there?

Further, an international player boycotting an official FIFA match, or leaving his national team in a situation where it cannot field a minimum team and therefore have to concede a result, can also be sanctioned with not being able to play for his club; this is complex, I haven't looked at it in a while, but it is in the books. 

However the bargaining seems to be going, not playing this match may mean the end of John Herdman as Canada team manager. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Man I really hope it's not the current batch of players. I think they need a bit of a timeout. I'm more interested in seeing how a new group of guys would do

If I didn't know better it was almost like you were trying to "cancel" our players.  How very woke of you.

CANCEL CULTURE RUN AMOK! etc. etc.

13 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

If I didn't know better it was almost like you were trying to "cancel" our players.  How very woke of you.

CANCEL CULTURE RUN AMOK! etc. etc.

I thought they canceled themselves 

My official no bullshit stance is that they should play on Thursday and resume discussions after the window. What ever they can get all the power to them but my personal observation is the CSA should stand strong on their last offer and not cave to the players demands as I think they've acted very selfish in the last week. I would welcome a second tier of players getting a shot

I would also add that as much as the last couple days have really soured my opinion of this crop of players I also know I'm sure there is a lot of pressure in the group to conform so I'm going to withhold judging the entire group and I'm not even going to try and speculate who is driving this. Not worth it

There you go.. a serious take from me

Now you can all go back to pretending you're lawyers and fighting the powers that be

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If the players are not training for this match either, and playing it is also not guaranteed, then Herdman has a problem and the entire squad is in jeopardy. 

First, they are breaking the team code if they are not training, not keeping stipulated hours (out late at night), and should be fined. There are plenty of cases where players breaking disciplinary codes are left off national teams.

Second, it would suggest Herdman has lost control of the group, since his responsibility is to field a team.

If he can't guarantee they will play he should probably be released. I am serious about this. His job is not to side with the players, he's a CSA employee. And not playing will bring with it serious consequences with Concacaf and FIFA. If you cannot do the minimal job of fielding a competitive squad, then why are you there?

Further, an international player boycotting an official FIFA match, or leaving his national team in a situation where it cannot field a minimum team and therefore have to concede a result, can also be sanctioned with not being able to play for his club; this is complex, I haven't looked at it in a while, but it is in the books. 

However the bargaining seems to be going, not playing this match may mean the end of John Herdman as Canada team manager. 

This is is one of the worst takes ive seen here in a while lol. 

26 minutes ago, king1010 said:

This is is one of the worst takes ive seen here in a while lol. 

Everything I posted reflects standard practice on clubs and national teams.

If Herdman did not have other offers on the table he would not have taken this stand of passive support for the players. But he's mistaken to allow the guys to do what they hell they want for the sake of the brotherhood. 

If the players were out in the wee hours of Sat-Sun and already knew they were going to boycott the game, then it shows major irresponsibility that they left their announcement to the last minute, screwing thousands of fans, many travelling and with hotels, when it could have been avoided. Incredible immaturity.

If the idea was to play the match and they went out late before a game they intended to play, then they should be fined and disciplined. Like what would happen for any club or national team anywhere in the world.

Thanks to all those here who think the players should not be treated like professionals.

I am curious how many people who have tickets to this game are still firmly planning to attend with a current will they/won’t they situation with the players. I guess resuming training is a good sign, but if this was match was in Toronto and I had tickets I might be wanting some reassurance from the players they will play before I decide to fork out $40 that it costs me to get downtown and park at the stadium, knowing that the players now have set a precedent for waiting until after the last minute to not play games and I could arrive there, pay for for parking and then discover there is no match. 

28 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I am curious how many people who have tickets to this game are still firmly planning to attend with a current will they/won’t they situation with the players. I guess resuming training is a good sign, but if this was match was in Toronto and I had tickets I might be wanting some reassurance from the players they will play before I decide to fork out $40 that it costs me to get downtown and park at the stadium, knowing that the players now have set a precedent for waiting until after the last minute to not play games and I could arrive there, pay for for parking and then discover there is no match. 

I'll be there. But it's only $3 on the bus. I fully support the players despite them cancelling. Hopefully it leads to CSA reform.

23 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I have tickets for the Curacao game and after seeing what happened on Sunday, I'm not even sure that I still want to go. The whole thing removed any excitement that I had to see that game. I have a red eye flight to take Friday night and I'm debating right now on whether I should think about myself first and rest at home or put any effort to support the team. 

4 minutes ago, Christian B. said:

I have tickets for the Curacao game and after seeing what happened on Sunday, I'm not even sure that I still want to go. The whole thing removed any excitement that I had to see that game. I have a red eye flight to take Friday night and I'm debating right now on whether I should think about myself first and rest at home or put any effort to support the team. 

I would suggest anyone to go....make some signs of your displeasure, thats the only way We THE FANS can be seen.

I want to see a sea  of banners. 

38 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It's totally bushleague. I was pissed about yesterday, but at least I was able to make a day out of it downtown and not have it be a complete waste of time/money.

For this game I have $170 bucks of tickets in limbo. My girlfriend had already arranged to go in for a few hours on her day off so she could leave early on Thursday while I took the entire day off.

The game is at 730pm and we would be commuting for well over an hour to get downtown. We both work on Friday so if the game gets cancelled it's not exactly going to be a night out on the town and having it happen twice won't have either of us in the mood to do much of anything.

At this point I don't even want to go, but I'm also not looking to light $170 bucks on fire.

It's not that surprising unfortunately that the athletes are out of touch and don't really give a shit about the fans they are screwing over, but im surprised there is a contingent on this board which is ignoring it.

27 minutes ago, keysersoze said:

... unfortunately that the athletes are out of touch and don't really give a shit about the fans they are screwing over, but im surprised there is a contingent on this board which is ignoring it.

After last night's news conference, not to mention the Iran fiasco, and years of mediocre management (Earl Cochrane FFS?) I'm surprised anyone is blaming the players.