Concacaf Nations League #1: Canada vs Curaçao- Thursday, 9 June, 7:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm ET - BC Place, Vancouver

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I'm assuming there is a dual national that they are waiting on paper work before releasing the squad. Otherwise it make no sense for the CSA to delay the announcement given that they need to drum up sales for this match.

I guess that is why they were waiting for the last minute to announce all our World Cup qualifying rosters…

11 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I’ll be in the US when this game is on - i think I’ve heard others say OneSoccer is geoblocked outside of Canada?  Is the only way to watch it on a VPN?  Thanks 

Mediapro has sold the rights to home Canada friendlies to Fox as of June. So, it should be on FS1 or 2.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:21 PM, Kadenge said:

I'm assuming there is a dual national that they are waiting on paper work before releasing the squad. Otherwise it make no sense for the CSA to delay the announcement given that they need to drum up sales for this match.

As Herdman has clearly shown for WCQ, team well-being takes clear priority over commercial interests. Iran match is nearing a sell out anyway.

For Curacao, there is a 2 match discount deal. It was always going to be a tougher sell given most don't know about Nations League and Curacao. If they get 20k, it meets expectations. If they fill the lower bowl, they've exceeded expectations. 

Squad drop isn't going to move the needle other than on twitter, reddit & this forum. Davies is the only game changer elsewhere and it was 90%+ he was going to be there. And Davies is doing his bit - he was at FCE match and now at Oilers game. 

26 minutes ago, red card said:

Mediapro has sold the rights to home Canada friendlies to Fox as of June. So, it should be on FS1 or 2.

This is a Nations League game, though.

Whomever holds CONCACAF rights in the U.S. (CBS/Paramount+?) would be the ones showing it.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

This is a Nations League game, though.

Whomever holds CONCACAF rights in the U.S. (CBS/Paramount+?) would be the ones showing it.

Yes, I thought I was in the Iran match thread.

Need to sign up for Paramount+ free trial/monthly. Maybe the US matches will end up on CBSSN. 

Responding to @redcard

First many Iran tix are tied into two match deals. So that could be a chunk of Iran unsold unless they release them only for Iran. 

Next, announcing Davies would be a major boost to sales. Don't underestimate it, he hasn't been back since the Whitecaps days. It could fill lower bowl vs Curaçao or help sell the remaining 2 match packs. 

13 hours ago, red card said:

As Herdman has clearly shown for WCQ, team well-being takes clear priority over commercial interests. Iran match is nearing a sell out anyway.

When you say "team well being" ..... If Injuries/Covid?, those issues can come up at any time including during the pre camp and is common to all teams. Replacements step up. For many years we have said lack of funding is behind the reason for no camps/friendlies/dormancy of youth programs etc. JH himself stated that we have to seize the moment re qualifying for Qatar. Continuing to max on the new found popularity and interest would therefore be logical. We all know how good JH is with PR. He is on radio, TV sports shows, main stream media etc prior to games in the past as well as social media as you referred to.  Regardless of the Iran game selling out, promoting the team should not be impacted. There are other revenue streams (see Maple Leafs) plus there is the Curacao game

Curaçao is only slightly more than half sold on the lower bowl. Maybe 20-25% of the unsold tix are from 2-match packs.

I did a very rough count, but I'd say there are 2500-3000  tix still left for Iran as part of the 2-match packs. Or maybe a bit more, but I don't think 3500.

Apart from those options, there is nothing left for Iran in the lower bowl and nothing left down low in the upper bowl either. 

My first thought looking at the seat map on Ticketmaster is that some of the sections have more availability now than they did. It looks like the alternating rows that were allocated for 2-packs are now back in play. If you had a 2-pack and really liked your seats, you might be able to get those seats again now. I'm sure some of the corners and ends had alternating rows before but it looks like they've made that inventory available now for this match.

Edited by Neil R.

9 hours ago, Shway said:

Reality is with the loss of a game, we're likely to see less squad rotation. Meaning I won't be surprised to not see some guys play (Edwards, Brym, Henry...would put Cavallini but I think he sees time against Curacao at home)

We can look at the situation as the players get to practise tactics and formations for 9 days.  Sometimes training together is just as important as playing games.

This game is going to have to rely heavily on a walk up. Talked to a lot of people over the weekend who had tickets to the Iran game and the consensus is people are pretty annoyed by the circumstances and have kinda have said F it. I think once the team gets here and Phonzie is around town people will get the itch but it will be a last minute thing 

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

I wonder if the ticket prices are too high, especially with this being a Thursday night. 

Now it's more the situation.. if the Iran game had never existed people would have snatched up tickets and it would have decent numbers. Not great but decent. Now the Curacao game seems even less appealing 

57 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

I wonder if the ticket prices are too high, especially with this being a Thursday night. 

They definitely are. The reasonably priced sections (end zones at $34.75) are nearly sold out. Sideline tickets are a shocking $106.75 (compared to $62.75 for the same seat for a Whitecaps match) and barely any have been sold.

I believe the lower bowl at BC Place holds ~27,500 and a quick count on Ticketmaster would suggest there are roughly 9,402 tickets sold at the moment which is on par with previous Nations League matches, but still a disappointing number.

35 minutes ago, f26522 said:

They definitely are. The reasonably priced sections (end zones at $34.75) are nearly sold out. Sideline tickets are a shocking $106.75 (compared to $62.75 for the same seat for a Whitecaps match) and barely any have been sold.

I believe the lower bowl at BC Place holds ~27,500 and a quick count on Ticketmaster would suggest there are roughly 9,402 tickets sold at the moment which is on par with previous Nations League matches, but still a disappointing number.

Honestly ripping the rug out from under 50,000+ ticket holders for the Iran match was always going to kill off interest for the 2nd (less attractive) game. And good luck re filling for the 5th if they force a last second opponent. Really sad situation 

i had a group of 6 going to the Iran game. All first timers, super excited to see the team.

none of them are interested in moving it to the Thursday to replace the Sunday game being gone.

Edited by N1ckbr0wn