CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

To think Trudeau and our government wasn't aware of this game happening and couldn't have stopped it is completely laughable 

Mr virtue signal says its not a good idea but I would love for him to take a moment and explain the actual reasons to the Canada public why it shouldn't happen. Or is that just too much reality for the average Canadian? Or maybe he hasn't figured out how to monetize hating Iran yet

I could care less what that arrogant jerk thinks. I definitely do not look to him for my moral compass and what should or shouldn't happen

Edited by SpursFlu

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

To think Trudeau and our government wasn't aware of this game happening and couldn't have stopped it is completely laughable 

Wasn't he involved in trying to get Canada a game (against Argentina)? But was supposedly unaware of this until now? lol

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wasn't he involved in trying to get Canada a game (against Argentina)? But was supposedly unaware of this until now? lol

Stopping a soccer game from happening but that would be government overreach. Justin Trudeau would never propose government overreach

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Stopping a soccer game from happening but that would be government overreach. Justin Trudeau would never propose government overreach

I know all the convoy morons don't believe it, but Trudeau is actually very laissez-faire and hands off.

He's more about the PR than actually taking any real action.

Edited by narduch

If Canada Soccer needs to pull back on this game, there will be thousands and thousands of refund requesrs...and they would be entitled to it.  You can't say you are going to serve a meal with all the best cuts of beef at a fine restaurant and  then change it for a vegan meal (or vice versa) and expect to not have to refund anyone.  

2 hours ago, CalgaryKicker said:

With Trudeau now criticizing the friendly, do you think there is a chance that it may get cancelled?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/trudeau-says-inviting-iran-to-vancouver-soccer-friendly-is-not-a-very-good-idea-1.5906829

FIFA is rather strict about government interference in national federations and associations. 

If we set this precedent, FIFA would have a very good argument to deny our participation as hosts in 2026. Iran is a member of good standing in the Asian confederation and has qualified for Qatar. Would Canada decide they couldn't play in a Canadian stadium in the 2026? That would basically demonstrate that Canada is ready to politicise the game over and above obligations as a host. 

You cancel Iran, how is FIFA going to look at BC Place, or BMO for that matter (as likely venue for Iran-Albania) and think they should be hosting in 4 years' time?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

FIFA is rather strict about government interference in national federations and associations. 

There is no legal basis for the Canadian federal or any other level of government to deny them access to play a sporting event, even though Iran in fact regularly boycotts other countries.

Do they not have the right to revoke visas?

I completely understand why some have an issue with this game. I wish people wouldn't view the sporting event as support for the Iran government but more as an opportunity to humiliate the powers that be by being the first team that has let in a Tesho Akindele hattrick. 

I have no issue with us cancelling this game. I suspect it happens. It does however open pandora's box. 

I can say that i know several Iranian Canadians affected by the recent passenger plane incident, who are rather upset that we allowed this event in the first place. 

Real question is why did we schedule this in the first place? id imagine we wouldn't of had a hard time finding a national team with a free weekend; starting with nations that weren't complicit in the murder of Canadians. 

2 minutes ago, sandman said:

I have no issue with us cancelling this game. I suspect it happens. It does however open pandora's box. 

I can say that i know several Iranian Canadians affected by the recent passenger plane incident, who are rather upset that we allowed this event in the first place. 

Real question is why did we schedule this in the first place? id imagine we wouldn't of had a hard time finding a national team with a free weekend; starting with nations that weren't complicit in the murder of Canadians. 

We probably had a hard time finding a team willing to play on artificial turf.

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If we set this precedent, FIFA would have a very good argument to deny our participation as hosts in 2026. Iran is a member of good standing in the Asian confederation and has qualified for Qatar. Would Canada decide they couldn't play in a Canadian stadium in the 2026? That would basically demonstrate that Canada is ready to politicise the game over and above obligations as a host. 

You cancel Iran, how is FIFA going to look at BC Place, or BMO for that matter (as likely venue for Iran-Albania) and think they should be hosting in 4 years' time?

The government is well within their right to whom they issue visas and allow in their country. We have seen it in Tennis with Russian players not being allowed to take part in certain tournaments. FIFA can not dictate foreign policy to a country. We have also seen in baseball with unvaccinated players not being allowed to enter Canada. The Blue Jays had to shelve a CY Young ceremony for Robbie Ray because he could not make the road trip with the Mariners. It is a privilege to enter a country and as such. We will have to see how this plays out. The opponent for the Brazil match in Toronto in 2013 changed so this does happen on the fly. 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

We probably had a hard time finding a team willing to play on artificial turf.

Likely have to go down the FIFA rankings to find someone, hopefully not too far into minnow territory. 

I don't think the Canadian government denying visas to the Iran players would constitute interference by FIFA's standards. FIFA has gotten involved when governments would directly intervene with the running and affairs of their own FAs.

The US government denied visas to that Haitian team for CCL and there was no peep at all from FIFA.

I don't understand.  Visas have already been granted.  @Cblake, this is not like unvaccinated players where they would be violating a law by entering the country. As far as I can see, there is no legitimate (ie. something other than public pressure or optics) that would warrant a cancellation.

Trudeau can posture all he wants.  Cancelling a game would have significant ramifications.  I'm with @BuzzAndSting that there is very little chance that this gets cancelled.

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Trudeau's comment is a good reminder of why it is a good idea to keep politics out of sport. His comments are divisive and will only do harm.

?

Divisive?

Sounds like he just passed the buck as he often dies when something controversial occurs.

He used the Shaggy defense.

"Wasn't me" (if you don't like it, blame Sports Canada)

----

33 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The government is well within their right to whom they issue visas and allow in their country.

Canada was always going to grant the Iran team visas. I mean, we granted this dude a visa:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/iran-morteza-talaei-richmond-hill

How Trudeau has the nerve to get into photo ops with the team when they are qualifying and then make a goofball off the cuff comment like this that would screw up their chances at an important tune up game.  I was watching CBC first thing this morning and I heard that...turned to my wife and said this is going to be a shit show now. 

@sandman I think they had a hard time finding a team to play, regardless of our new found success on the field.