CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Oliver Platt made it clear in a video posted earlier in this thread that multiple levels of government knew about this friendly.  I did my best to write his quote:

"I think obviously Canada Soccer is going to get an enormous amount of criticism here... but it's really important to say I think, that they did not spring this game on the Canadian Government.  They have to notify multiple levels of government when games like this are being arranged and another team is being brought into this country.  So, that I think is very important to remember in terms of, you know, the government was aware this game was going to happen."

- OneSoccer today, May 26

I've been saying this for awhile. Actually I maintained that it went right up to the PMO's office. Waiting for the deniers to rip Oliver Platt a new one.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

This said "..." earlier today and you changed it, yet it doesn't show your post as being edited.

Do mods around here have the ability to change their post without the "Edit" tag? That would be kind of sketchy.

I'm not sure why some edits are marked as such and others aren't, I'll look into that.

To the comment, posting the domain of his email was a little to close to doxxing the guy for me. It would be unlikely but I think this place should be as anonymous as user want it to be. This is the approach we've had in the past and will continue to be in the future.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Uruguay canceled it yesterday complaining Jamaica was sending a u23 or B team. 

Jamaica played Catalonia 3 days ago and had NCAA players, it was a shootout, 6-0, as Catalonia had a top flight roster. 

So Uruguay are playing two games in the US, June 2 v Mexico in California, June 5 v USA in KC. 

Two Uruguay ideas, both requiring playing B team v Curaçao on June 9…

Play Uruguay June 8 or 10 in Vancouver (or Toronto or Seattle if they won’t play on turf). 

Play Uruguay in Montevideo June 10 or 11 (if it has to be June 11, this requires moving the Honduras game to June 14)

21 hours ago, Pasha said:

LOL at Canada. Justin is such a loser, and there is no doubt he is behind this cancellation. I hope one day the people of Canada wake up and see that all these restrictions put in place by your liberal government is at the expense of your freedoms (I won't get into these restrictions, but you should know exactly what I am talking about you intelligent Canadians), and is overtly hypocritical. Yeah, lets not play Iran because of X, but let us surely play in the WC in Qatar although they also committed Y and Z, both egregious human rights abuses.

The national team of Iran, is the only, THE ONLY, unifying force for my people. Your federation has mixed politics and sport. And please don't give me a whataboutism saying Iran does this and that and those actions are certainly an intermingling of sport and politics etc. CANADA is not Iran LOL--supposedly Canadians live in a free society, my people do not. But the national team is a representation of the people. By denying the people joy, you have created an enemy in me. I boycott Canada, and I hope to see your national team fail. IDC if I sound petty, you entitled Canadians are no better than the Americans. 

And to the Iranians promoting the cancellation; kiram dahanet. 

I don't know what to make of your post.

I totally agree with your take on our asinine PM.

As for your second paragraph, I hope you realize that it's Iranians and Iranian Canadians living in Canada who were at the forefront of the protests of this game. So your phrase, "by denying [the Iranian]people joy..." is a crock at least for the Iranians and Iranian Canadians living in Canada.

As for your people not living in a free society, it's a society the majority of your people chose and that society has been and is being kept in place by a segment of your people. So if Iranians live in an unfree society, they have no one to look to but to themselves.

56 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm not sure why some edits are marked as such and others aren't, I'll look into that.

To the comment, posting the domain of his email was a little to close to doxxing the guy for me. It would be unlikely but I think this place should be as anonymous as user want it to be. This is the approach we've had in the past and will continue to be in the future.

I fully agree that anonymity should be sacred here.

Fan forums are famous for people using covers and that is part of their charm. 

Any attempt at doxxing, character assassination or public derision beyond the terms of this forum should be explicitly discouraged and even prohibited. 

People should also refer to fellow members of the forum, on the forum, by the name they have chosen for themselves and none other. Using personal info to take dirty digs is lowlife (I am not talking about friendly banter between people who know each other).

Then there are the terms of use of the forum itself, which you admins enforce. The forum has its ups and downs but lately has been a bit better. Perhaps because of the generally optimistic mood in Canadian soccer circles. 

The Irangate fallout has caused some friction, though I've found that the vast majority have been fairly contained on the subject.

7 hours ago, ballerz said:

I would not blame the CSA one bit here. Iran is one of the most logical friendlies we should arrange from a tactical and sporting basis. Politically, as at the time Iran was chosen, there was a big appetitie for Candian soccer fans and supporters (old and new) of the Canada team to play this match to prepare for the World Cup - and we all applauded the sporting reasons for the game. There was almost no backlash of this choice when it was announce. And it was not popular to denounce the game yet. Then, the victims' group was crying foul (they do have that right and rightly so protested) and then the politicians jumped on it. And we've got the best flip flopper in the history of Canadian politics as PM. Had we picked China, and the two Michaels, all the Uighurs and Hong Kong Canadians shouted, Trudeau would have told Canada to be nice to the people who propped up the Canadian housing market for the past decade and keep our economy afloat for the next century. I do hope the CSA gets fined and points docked by FIFA, Iran to sue us in Canadian court and get justice, and for FIFA to take away our 2026 games because this is what Justin Trudeau deserves.

I have been on sports forums for over 25 years, pretty much since there were sports forums.  Ive never once ranted about or even brought up a prime minister on them.  Yet some of you seem to talk about him in half your posts.  Its unreal.  Not only do you all feel the need to constantly bring him up, but youre literally saying we should lose fifa points, get sued, and forfeit a chance at HOSTING THE WORLD CUP just so it somehow punishes the guy. The snowflakiest bunch of snowflakes Ive ever seen.  Its really pretty damn sad.  Ive voted for, supported, and despised different parties and politicians through my life, but my god this is a derangement. 

19 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You're expecting a man who hid from the truckers for over a week, a man who denied wearing black face until the evidence became overwhelming, a man who denied corruption when it came to graft thrown in his mother's and brother's way, you want this man to take a stance? Please!

FFS, cool it with the political crap.  Don't mind people blaming Canada Soccer, the government, the Iranians, etc but I've had it with the grandstanding.  This is a soccer forum not a way to vent your politics.  I'm going to start deleting stuff and if it sounds arbitrary, tough!   .  

20 hours ago, narduch said:

We also played Millwall. 

Which led to Serioux and Simpson signing with them

I am not sure that this is correct.  My recollection nis different,  Millwall played some pre season matches against some A-league sides in canada.  the games were played in Vancouver.  That's where the they discovered Serioux and Jason Jordan (from the Whitecaps)  and singed them 

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am not sure that this is correct.  My recollection nis different,  Millwall played some pre season matches against some A-league sides in canada.  the games were played in Vancouver.  That's where the they discovered Serioux and Jason Jordan (from the Whitecaps)  and singed them 

This board is amazing. Not that I remembered it well, but still.

Marco Reda!

And those posters. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Spent a few minutes looking for potential opponents. 

Basically no one of any value is really available. 

We are fucked

I don't mind from a sporting perspective the aforementioned suggestion of Qatar as a replacement team (vs. not having a friendly at all) if they are available as has been suggested, but I can't see the CSA going down this route because now that we as a nation have decided to associate political practices & beliefs with the sports teams and athletes for friendlies, the risk of the same thing happening will be too great. Because this is in the immediate aftermath & a replacement for Iran, they somehow have to find an opponent that's available, of decent enough calibre to qualify as prep and one that is essentially flawless as a nation from a Canadian-morals perspective. I don't know that the latter criteria will always be the case, but I would imagine that, in light of the one-sided non-sports media coverage of the type that suggested we were greasing Iranian palms with exorbitant amounts of cash to get them to play and can just easily dial up Ukraine to come over in the middle of their own European qualifiers, all eyes are going to be on who we announce next - assuming of course we announce anyone at all.

58 minutes ago, ensco said:

So Uruguay are playing two games in the US, June 2 v Mexico in California, June 5 v USA in KC. 

Two Uruguay ideas, both requiring playing B team v Curaçao on June 9…

Play Uruguay June 8 or 10 in Vancouver (or Toronto or Seattle if they won’t play on turf). 

Play Uruguay in Montevideo June 10 or 11 (if it has to be June 11, this requires moving the Honduras game to June 14)

I seemed to see that Uruguay wanted this at home as it was meant to commemorate something, not sure what, but they were looking for a home rival on that date.

Anyways, the whole point of a replacement is to be able to offer a match and not have to refund 4 million in ticket sales plus pay partial costs to BC Place, other cancellation fees.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I seemed to see that Uruguay wanted this at home as it was meant to commemorate something, not sure what, but they were looking for a home rival on that date.

Anyways, the whole point of a replacement is to be able to offer a match and not have to refund 4 million in ticket sales plus pay partial costs to BC Place, other cancellation fees.

I see your point but as many of the objectives of all of this are in flames, I think we will have to settle for achieving some objectives and not others, whatever choice they make here.

If it's either going to be Canada v [Insert Minnow] on June 5, or Canada v Uruguay [but can't play in Vancouver, may even have to fly 12 hours, and make less money], that is a tough call. I'd probably go to Uruguay.

Edited by ensco

What if we book Ukraine for June 10 and play a double header? We play with a split squad or a B squad against Curacao. We make everyone who voted Liberal to donate $10 to the Ukraine humanitarian efforts and Trudeau sends Zelensky a few more anti tank missiles. The Ukrainians should help us out on this one!

50 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I don't recall any connection between Millwall and Jordan, but can find out.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

As for your people not living in a free society, it's a society the majority of your people chose and that society has been and is being kept in place by a segment of your people. So if Iranians live in an unfree society, they have no one to look to but to themselves.

I liked your post, because there were some elements I agreed with, but on this particular bit I am conflicted. Up until very recently I would have agreed wholeheartedly with this, but seeing what's happened in Canada first hand gives me much more sympathy for the oppressed in Iran. You see, here in Canada nearly 1 in 10 people physically cannot leave without taking a medical procedure they can't or won't take, for whatever reason, under the guise of "safety" which is bullshit because if that were the case a negative test would be acceptable. That's the solution of any good actor seeking compromise instead of punishment. Such people are currently being prevented, physically, from leaving the country (lest they do so illegally) and try as they might their pleading and protest for a amicable solution has fallen on deaf ears. The government won't entertain it and the majority of Canadians either shrug their shoulders because it doesn't affect them (which is disgusting in my opinion), or go out of their way to fight against them for reasons that are political or ideological. The media by and large goes out of their way to do the same.

The system is against them on so many levels, so can we say it's their fault their freedom of moment has been reduced? It seems to be they are doing and have done all they can do, including resorting to some very desperate measures which led to undesirable outcomes for everyone. I can only imagine it's far, far, far worse for the people of Iran, but if they are anything like the Canadians I just described they have more than "looked to themselves" at this stage, but yet nothing has changed. Iranians are still under the thumb of their repressive government and it's been that way for decades. All you can do is flee, if you can, any way you can. I have had two co-workers in the past, from Iran, who had to do that.

I totally get the "you got to find a way to change things, nobody will do it for you", but basically I am trying to say that we're currently seeing how seemingly impossible that is for Canadians, but that challenge is pure vanilla compared to what Iranians are going through. I really feel for those people.

How anyone can sympathize with Iranians, but not their fellow Canadians, or vice versa, is beyond me. It's heartless.

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

In fairness, you're in a thread about a game that was cancelled (just yesterday) for political reasons. 

Ok, then focus on the soccer aspect of it. 

You (who i admire a lot on this forum) just wrote a 408 word political response to someone and literally never once mentioned, soccer, sport, the cancelled game or our National program.

Edited by Corazon