CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, it's a line from a movie where someone says it and the reaction is a scowl, funny as hell. I have written enough to not repeat myself without a reason.

Now you can have fun finding which film I am talking about.

Thanks, but no thanks.

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Then our men can play half strength, have em all throw their jerseys in the middle of the field and pick two mixed teams, I dunno. I’m not saying it’s a fair match, but we’re talking about CPL all stars, some random Japanese teams… any of those options would be an utter humiliation for our program, so if we’re that desperate for a game, then make it a novelty instead of begging for some random club to play.

lol going from rumors of playing Argentina and Messi to a novelty pick up game would be peak humiliation. 

54 minutes ago, narduch said:

We also played Millwall. 

Which led to Serioux and Simpson signing with them

Hearts were also part of that, in 1985 we played Everton at Varsity, it was a warm up match as the NASL had folded and our players needed a match together, the team was sponsored by INEX IIRC, I wish I could find my program as I was at the match!

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Curacao game will now be close to 40k in attendance 

Unfortunate that Ticketmaster didn't hype that in the email about them sending a refund.

Edited by nfitz

It's slim pickings out there. Very few options outside of our federation that look appealing. 

Bolivia is free. They did say today that they won't play any friendlies because they wouldn't be able to get players released and they're having issues with their television rights https://www.lostiempos.com/deportes/futbol-int/20220526/bolivia-no-jugara-ningun-amistoso-fecha-fifa 

Venezuela is playing June 1st in Malta and June 9th in Saudi Arabia.

Paraguay is playing June 2nd in Japan, June 10th in South Korea. That’s a 9-hour direct flight from Tokyo.

Cameroon had their first Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier cancelled on June 4th. They play again on June 8th.

19 hours ago, RS said:

Guy with a very liberal university email address signs up to a Canadian soccer board to post anti-liberal rants. 

This said "..." earlier today and you changed it, yet it doesn't show your post as being edited.

Do mods around here have the ability to change their post without the "Edit" tag? That would be kind of sketchy.

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, it's a line from a movie where someone says it and the reaction is a scowl, funny as hell. I have written enough to not repeat myself without a reason.

Gotta be Shawshank, yeah?

If not, i'm still gonna go watch Shawshank rn. 

Maybe Argo is more appropriate. 

Edited by Califax

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was much more than a scowl, IIRC.  Didn't poor Andy spend a month in the hole for saying it? 😉 

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

Canada didn’t award the World Cup to Qatar. They have zero (or near zero) impact on the vote. If Canada had been drawn against Iran, or Russia, or Saudi Arabia we would undoubtedly have played them. There would be no (or limited) backlash because most people understand there’s a difference between competing in an international tournament and paying a pariah state $400k to come play a friendly in a city that mourned it’s dead 2 years ago.

This nonsense of “either we do everything perfect ethically or nothing matters” is such a lazy, bullshit argument.

Ex: I’m going to make an assumption that you have some ethical standards that you hold yourself to in your personal life. That you generally treat people as you would like to be treated, don’t kick puppies, etc. Yet you choose to exploit the environment and your fellow man by using a computing device made from unsustainable mining and labour practices around the world? Curious. If you’re willing to buy a device, why not go whole hog and roll coal while kicking puppies at blind orphans? Why even try to do the right thing once if you can’t do the right thing every time?

Your objection would make sense if I'm arguing against any action from the Canadian Government altogether. I'm not and have no issue with their actions in the diplomatic and economic areas that actually matter.

My position  is imply that international football shouldn't be one of them. The entire concept of international football is focused on cross federation competition and I dont think playing a country in Canada or abroad is an endorsement of their actions, symbolic or otherwise. 

The "payment" is in line with usual host expenses for international friendlies. 

Also reiterate that the Iranian-Canadian community's position on support for their national team is by no means uniform. Should the game have gone through, there would undoubtedly be Iranian-Canadians there supporting the NT and it isn't because they're regime sympathizers but rather because they draw a distinction between their footballers and the Government ( which the majority of the diaspora dislikes). 

Drive over to any neighbourhood with a significant Iranian population in Vancouver or the GTA this November when Iran is playing and I guarantee you will see many Iranian-Canadians watching and supporting the team.

Does that mean they assume shared guilt for their Government's actions? Or support them? 

Anyway the game is cancelled and happy to disagree on this one. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This said "Berkeley" earlier today and you changed it, yet it doesn't show your post as being edited.

Do mods around here have the ability to change their post without the "Edit" tag? That would be kind of sketchy.

I didn't change it. It was changed by someone else.

Edited by RS

2 hours ago, Pasha said:

I think there is a clear disconnect here among posters. Iran is not an ordinary country, it has been hijacked by the Mullahs for 43 years. Iranians are poorer than ever before, and disillusionment about the revolution is high. That said, the Iranian National Football Team is the nexus which connects every single Iranian; monarchist, islamist, secularist, fascist, communist etc alike. I am a not a fan of the current government, but I will confidently say that this cancellation will not help build bridges it will only exacerbate the regime's anti-west stance. 

"Look at Canada, they invite us for football, but pull the carpet from under our feet mere days before we land on their soil for a non-political sporting event. This is the epitome of the west, never trust them..." This will likely be a statement made by some guy in a turban, and you know what, that statement is true on some very deep levels. 

This is a very interesting and insightful post (I stripped out the Winnipeg girl comment, as it's irrelevant). 

Yet it was ignored in favor of responses that were only focused on that irrelevant comment. There is interesting insight (from an Iranian) on not only the suffering of Iran at the hands of their government, but also on the National teams ability to connect Iranian people from all over the political spectrum, not to mention the possibility the regime we all dislike (hope that's not controversial to say) will likely now use this to double down on their anti-west stance. 

None of those threads were pulled on, we were too busy responding with insults.

I know those who responded this way were probably just butt hurt about the negative comments on Trudeau and Canada, but failing to elaborate or address the meat of his post sadly demonstrated his point, if you think about it.

If we cannot put our political bias aside long enough to actually listen to an actual Iranian voice his opinion about what the cancellation meant to him, just because of his negative opinions of our PM, then we have a lot of work to do as Canadians.

Not exactly handled in the spirit of liberal democracy we claim to pride ourselves on.

10 minutes ago, RS said:

I didn't change it. It was changed by someone else.

Thanks.

I guess they didn't want a fellow moderator sharing someone's personal information on this forum. I assume you can see why that'd be, right?

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks.

I guess they didn't want a fellow moderator sharing someone's personal information on this forum. I assume you can see why that'd be, right?

I didn't even know about the change until you mentioned it.

Whatever. I didn't share his actual email address. Fuck that guy.