CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

The arrogance of your post is astounding but I have been on this site long enough to know better. You try to disguise your ignorance by name calling. I would normally characterize that behaviour as the school yard antics of an adolescent but you've mentioned a number of times you have a son so you obviously are not a pimply-faced juvenile. It must be something else. Something more seriously wrong.

When sacred idols fall.

Is it true JP bought Jim Jones's old property in Guyana? 

Back to Iran. I'm pissed folks are saying "we're paying tax dollars for them to come". 

False. We're paying a small % of revenue from a privately organized event that wouldn't happen if they weren't invited. If you like, we're using Iran, who comes relatively cheaply, to sell out a stadium and make even more for ourselves. And using that match to leverage sales for another match. It's a highly favourable operation for us that actually decreases our dependency on public funding. 

We are also generating revenue for BC Place, publicly owned, creating jobs and ensuring a notable economic impact for Vancouver, just coming out of the pandemic. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Back to Iran. I'm pissed folks are saying "we're paying tax dollars for them to come". 

False. We're paying a small % of revenue from a privately organized event that wouldn't happen if they weren't invited. If you like, we're using Iran, who comes relatively cheaply, to sell out a stadium and make even more for ourselves. And using that match to leverage sales for another match. It's a highly favourable operation for us that actually decreases our dependency on public funding. 

We are also generating revenue for BC Place, publicly owned, creating jobs and ensuring a notable economic impact for Vancouver, just coming out of the pandemic. 

Believe this game is also going to have FIFA people there as a World Cup 2026 evaluation.

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

lol Toronto Star

An FYI for greater context for those not in the GTA is that the Toronto Star is often dubbed the "Toronto Red Star" by detractors for a perceived leftist/Liberal party of Canada bias, so the poll results among its readership are not surprising given the Liberal leader's highly publicized condemnation of the match. If the poll had been held the day after the match was announced rather than the day the PM spouted off on it, I suspect the poll results would be different, but of course we'll never know that now.

I also wonder how the question of "Would you prefer Canada play Iran, or no World Cup-calibre opposition at all to prepare for the World Cup?" might go down....

Edited by Gian-Luca

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

An FYI for greater context for those not in the GTA is that the Toronto Star is often dubbed the "Toronto Red Star" by detractors for a perceived leftist/Liberal party of Canada bias, so the poll results among its readership are not surprising given the Liberal leader's highly publicized condemnation of the match. If the poll had been held the day after the match, I suspect the poll results would be different, but of course we'll never know that now.

I also wonder how the question of "Would you prefer Canada play Iran, or no World Cup-calibre opposition at all to prepare for the World Cup?" might go down....

Couldn't have put it better myself.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

An FYI for greater context for those not in the GTA is that the Toronto Star is often dubbed the "Toronto Red Star" by detractors for a perceived leftist/Liberal party of Canada bias, so the poll results among its readership are not surprising given the Liberal leader's highly publicized condemnation of the match. If the poll had been held the day after the match was announced rather than the day the PM spouted off on it, I suspect the poll results would be different, but of course we'll never know that now.

Too bad the Star was purchased by a new right leaning owner and has been going into the shitter ever since

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

Too bad the Star was purchased by a new right leaning owner and has been going into the shitter ever since

Is that true? Nice.. we need more balance in this country. Who is the new owner and can they buy a paper in Vancouver?

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

It was until fairly recently the only newspaper in Canada consistently endorsing the Liberals in English Canada. All the rest endorse Conservatives almost always. Last two elections, on a chart I recently saw comparing endorsements, it went Tory. 

When folks cite mainstream media as representative in Canada you have to laugh. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was until fairly recently the only newspaper in Canada consistently endorsing the Liberals in English Canada. All the rest endorse Conservatives almost always. Last two elections, on a chart I recently saw comparing endorsements, it went Tory. 

When folks cite mainstream media as representative in Canada you have to laugh. 

Even the CBC tries so hard to both sides arguments that it often has shitty right wingers on to spread their bullshit.

Just now, Shway said:

fack I need to turn on the news?....the amount of times I seen the name "Jordan Peterson" I had to google who he was. And to my surprise, I've never seen him before.

If you listen to him talk about clinical psychology and some of his patients' experiences,  he's more or less fine. 

Meaning he was fine as long as no-one knew him except his private clients. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Back in January, I bought a digital subscription for the year because they offered me a ridiculously discounted price.

It took two whole days for me to regret my purchase.