CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

1 hour ago, red card said:

On point about the politics.

Trudeau was answering a question from the press. This means the government was aware of the match and Trudeau was briefed on it to provide a cogent answer ex mentioning Sport Canada. But not upset enough to proactively say concrete steps are being taken to prevent the match - they would have already told the CSA before the match date was officially announced.

If they wanted to really wound the CSA, they would have held a press conference to announce visas and other measures are being taken to prevent the match from happening.

Trudeau has to be the first PM to make a comment about a friendly - another step in becoming a football nation.

Iran was very well supported in Russia and Asian Cup in Australia. Canada match is nearing sellout territory. This tells me a large segment Persian diaspora aren't just thinking in all or nothing terms about their homeland.

Looks like the CSA worked with the Iranian-Canadian Congress as they noted: ...the Iranian Canadian Congress appreciates and supports the decision and the efforts of the Canada Soccer organization in hosting this friendly match. As stated by Sandra Gage, Chief Marketing officer of Canada Soccer: "We believe in the power of sport and its ability to bring people from different backgrounds and political beliefs together for a common purpose.” 

But they do ask for 1 minute of silence for the victims of flight 752.

https://www.iccongress.ca/welcome_canada_iran_friendly_soccer_match

There we go! If these woke warriors are for real they would see this as a much bigger win than a match cancelation. They’re going to have representatives of their biggest sport on hand to have a minutes silence for our citizens.

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Iran was able to get two friendlies, in Canada, and Canada was only able to get one. lol

I guess Ecuador sees Iran as a "Qatar proxy"?

Otherwise, it's pretty shocking that Canada wasn't able to book Ecuador. Can't say they weren't available. 

This.

Does anyone think we'll get answers? Or will the tough questions really be asked?

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Would we get some cash out of this for hosting?

i think soccer Canada would be entitled to some ticket revenue?  they must be involved in organizing the venue and particulars.  the broadcast rights could be decent too if they are entitled to some... they show a lot of ads during S. American matches. 

Just now, cornerkick said:

i think soccer Canada would be entitled to some ticket revenue?  they must be involved in organizing the venue and particulars.  maybe just an overhead fee... the broadcast rights could be decent too if they are entitled to some... they show a lot of ads during S. American matches. 

15 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Ignorant would've been better. That guy is a doctor 😆.

TBF specialK, you could be considered a fool if you were going to believe that FIFA would do that. That's almost as good as saying "Qatar almost lost their hosting rights"

Edited by Shway

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

TBF specialK, you could be considered a fool if you were going to believe that FIFA would do that. That's almost as good as saying "Qatar almost lost their hosting rights"

I don’t care if he was a stripper or a doctor. It doesn’t matter what you are in your profession, you can still be an uneducated Twit. 

I said They almost got kicked out. There was a huge push to have them removed plus their soccer federations was already sanction by FIFA for human rights Violations. Wasn’t Trinidad and Tobago kicked out of a bunch of things for less? So really it’s not that mind blowing or that outrageous if they did get kick out. 

Edited by SpecialK

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

2 hours ago, Shway said:

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t care if he was a stripper or a doctor. It doesn’t matter what you are in your profession, you can still be an uneducated Twit. 

I said They almost got kicked out. There was a huge push to have them removed plus their soccer federations was already sanction by FIFA for human rights Violations. Wasn’t Trinidad and Tobago kicked out of a bunch of things for less? So really it’s not that mind blowing or that outrageous if they did get kick out. 

The dumbest people are always the loudest. 

Claim: "Iran almost got disqualified from the World Cup"

Response: source?

Claimant: here's some hole in the fucking wall group asking FIFA to disqualify Iran. 

Jesus Christ. That's your source for Iran almost got disqualified? 

As far as education is concerned, you do not want to go there. If we're going to have a cock measuring contest with education I will cock slap you all the way back to your dad's balls. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah Mr.K, my wife "urges" me to do a lot of things, even pushes me....but..........pictures dont get hung, the gutters dont get cleaned, i havnt thrown out my favorite pair of ratty old underwear..i could go on for hours.  

Not just that. Your wife actually has a say and some pull. So your analogy is still not doing the three stooges justice. 

This is like saying Bush almost went to prison because developing country X found him guilty of war crimes lol

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

They were never close to being kicked out. It was never even tabled in FIFA board meetings. It's just Canadians being bumpkins thinking a news story is "education" and that their freaky window on the soccer world is somehow centred. 

5 hours ago, cornerkick said:

i think soccer Canada would be entitled to some ticket revenue?  they must be involved in organizing the venue and particulars.  the broadcast rights could be decent too if they are entitled to some... they show a lot of ads during S. American matches. 

A FIFA nation has no rights to revenue from a friendly organised in its territory, apart possibly from very minor fees, but even then. 

A friendly on neutral ground is arranged by a licensed match agent, neither team hosts. Often one nation takes more initiative, such as in securing a stadium for specific dates, and may offer financial terms to the rival (maybe they have more TV revenue or know they will draw more fans). Refs have to be neutral and full internationals (4th official I think is optional), sub rules must be respected if they want FIFA points in play. 

I'm not sure how a country authorises or if it can reject a friendly of neutrals proposed in its territory. 

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A FIFA nation has no rights to revenue from a friendly organised in its territory, apart possibly from very minor fees, but even then. 

The money would be going to TFC (MLSE) and City of Toronto.

23 hours ago, RS said:

Do you not understand the difference between a friendly organized and hosted in Canada vs. the World Cup in a different country? 

I'll leave the JP comment alone as it's already been covered.

No, I don't. Explain it to me. 

5 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Whenever Canada does play a game at Home what is the percentage that the CSA recieve from game day revenues 

Apparently depends on the stadium above all. Rental fee, concessions, other costs and revenue, all change in function of the venue. 

If a friendly it is different as the rival's fee cuts in on revenue. 

Canada would make the most money in a very large stadium we own (or have a deal with) playing an official match vs a major rival, and more if tickets can be high priced. 

Key: for official matche's rivals cover all their costs and get no fee, making them more lucrative for the host. 

Wondering: isn't the Gold Cup really the US scamming the region with the region's consent? 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 5/18/2022 at 7:59 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

LOL, one thing the Peterson fan-boys have been trained in are the pouty-faced comebacks.

The arrogance of your post is astounding but I have been on this site long enough to know better. You try to disguise your ignorance by name calling. I would normally characterize that behaviour as the school yard antics of an adolescent but you've mentioned a number of times you have a son so you obviously are not a pimply-faced juvenile. It must be something else. Something more seriously wrong.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They were never close to being kicked out. It was never even tabled in FIFA board meetings. It's just Canadians being bumpkins thinking a news story is "education" and that their freaky window on the soccer world is somehow centred. 

That might be one of the loosest uses of the word "Canadians" ever