CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Wait a second. Is the problem because we are playing Iran in Canada? Would it be alright if we played them in Iran? And how about if we were placed in group B in Qatar, would this idiot of a prime minister make an asinine comment then? The USA has bigger issues with Iran, I don't see any of their politicians making dumb-ass comments.

Jordan Peterson has been right about this fool.

Oh you lost us with Jordan Peterson--is there any bigger and more infantile personality cult? There he is, staring off into the horizon like a Stalinist statue.

I mean the fan boy stuff is just insane, that cult triumvirate of Rogan, Musk and Peterson, who for a psychologist is extremely childish, always pouty, plays the victim, uses "well the literature states" like an undergrad learning how to footnote, loves the adulation and plays on it. 

Peterson is much worse than Trudeau, mostly because he has no public responsibility, is not voted, is not accountable for a national budget and he is only beholden to his publishers and agents. While Trudeau is exactly what you'd expect a centrist-liberal politician to be like, only that there are so few in the world left we have grown unaccustomed to the institutionalised wishy-washyness.

I don't disagree that in some aspects of clinical psychology he has perceptions, and does counter certain misconceptions regarding gender and relationships. They can impress especially if you haven't read anyone with any knowledge on male psychology, for example. But as soon as he gets anywhere away from the experience of his practice, he's one of the most notorious Canadian fakes.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oh you lost us with Jordan Peterson--is there any bigger and more infantile personality cult? There he is, staring off into the horizon like a Stalinist statue.

I mean the fan boy stuff is just insane, that cult triumvirate of Rogan, Musk and Peterson, who for a psychologist is extremely childish, always pouty, plays the victim, uses "well the literature states" like an undergrad learning how to footnote, loves the adulation and plays on it. 

Peterson is much worse than Trudeau, mostly because he has no public responsibility, is not voted, is not accountable for a national budget and he is only beholden to his publishers and agents. While Trudeau is exactly what you'd expect a centrist-liberal politician to be like, only that there are so few in the world left we have grown unaccustomed to the institutionalised wishy-washyness.

I don't disagree that in some aspects of clinical psychology he has perceptions, and does counter certain misconceptions regarding gender and relationships. They can impress especially if you haven't read anyone with any knowledge on male psychology, for example. But as soon as he gets anywhere away from the experience of his practice, he's one of the most notorious Canadian fakes.

LOL. Why are you trying so hard to prove Thomas Gray's "ignorance is bliss"?

6 hours ago, Dooghkor said:

Most of those are more authoritarian than Iran is! Wtf.

Honestly, as a dual citizen, I feel a lot less Canadian reading this garbage. 

The US shot down an Iranian airliner in 1988 over Iranian waters. I can keep giving examples of Western criminality until the end of time. This insane obsession with Iran's government has always baffled me. Most developing countries are just as shit if not shittier, but somehow Iran always gets singled out. There's this mass hysteria against Iran that's never made sense to me. 

Apart from the Ukrainians on board, all the Canadians on the plane were Iranian dual citizens. Somehow most of us are excited about this match but the holier than thou woke brigade is crying. 

If it wasn't for this incident, the mob would have taken issue with Iran's human rights problems. 

Always fucking something. 

To clarify, I’m expecting the match to proceed.  I was just wondering if they could actually pull off the logistics of getting another nation to fill in.  And if so, which nations teams could possibly be a reasonable opponent on sporting grounds….nothing else.  Not trying to be holier than thou and I have no insane obsession over Iran’s govt. 

Every country has done bad shit…I don’t want to get into politics here and will leave it at that.  

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Wait a second. Is the problem because we are playing Iran in Canada? Would it be alright if we played them in Iran? And how about if we were placed in group B in Qatar, would this idiot of a prime minister make an asinine comment then? The USA has bigger issues with Iran, I don't see any of their politicians making dumb-ass comments.

Jordan Peterson has been right about this fool.

Do you not understand the difference between a friendly organized and hosted in Canada vs. the World Cup in a different country? 

I'll leave the JP comment alone as it's already been covered.

Iran could be drawn in a group based in Canada by 2026. When Canada decided to host, it knew perfectly well that countries with a dubious reputation for human rights violations will be able to participate by being FIFA members. I do not see the difference in playing a preparatory match for the world cup vs another FIFA member.

Ive lost track of if were upset at families of people murdered by Iran downing the plane, Trudeau for saying (and I find it amazing someone could disagree with this take, given the literal conversation were having currently) that it was probably a bad idea but the CSA would have to deal with that, people for sympathizing with those families, or at people for thinking sport shouldnt be about politics and we can have the game while disagreeing with their policy.  Or at people pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of not holding our allies or ourselves to the same standards.

Just tell me who to write a letter to while getting upset about people writing letters.

3 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Ive lost track of if were upset at families of people murdered by Iran downing the plane, Trudeau for saying (and I find it amazing someone could disagree with this take, given the literal conversation were having currently) that it was probably a bad idea but the CSA would have to deal with that, people for sympathizing with those families, or at people for thinking sport shouldnt be about politics and we can have the game while disagreeing with their policy.  Or at people pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of not holding our allies or ourselves to the same standards.

We're upset at Jordan Peterson. Keep up!

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This post is spot on.

It’s pathetic that this new western trend of “cancelling” political enemies through sport is becoming increasingly normalized. Should sport not be the perfect opportunity to take out some frustration? 

To those comparing this to Canada inviting Russia to a hockey “friendly”... Do you not realize that our country’s most famous sporting moment was just that in the middle of the Cold War? 

Our prime minister is spineless to fold to such a question. Especially after he used our team for a photo op just 6 months ago. This was a coordinated media blitz by activists and no one cared until yesterday. 

This is why I liked the CSA's statement in response. It basically said that sports > politics as a means of bringing different people and cultures together (which is no surprise as politics is divisive by nature). Basically saying "we in sport are doing more good than you are at bringing people together, so shut up all politicians whining about this!", but in a nice and actually diplomatic way (similar to Cavallini's comments in that regard). They also mention that they are following all international protocols, effectively pointing out that the same government that is now criticizing them is the one that hasn't put any policies, protocols or sanctions in place to begin with to prevent such a match from happening, but again stating this without criticism or rancour.

34 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Just tell me who to write a letter to while getting upset about people writing letters.

Fuck Honduras?

This thread is waaaaayy off the rails

Everyone should check out Jordan Peterson's interview yesterday with Pierre Poilievre. It was excellent  😉

But all this hasn't slowed down ticket sales.. all available tickets are pretty much sold out. Just the upper ends are left 

Edited by SpursFlu

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

This thread is waaaaayy off the rails

Everyone should check out Jordan Peterson's interview yesterday with Pierre Poilievre. It was excellent  😉

But all this hasn't slowed down ticket sales.. all available tickets are pretty much sold out. Just the upper ends are left 

Perhaps our politicians can also kick up a fuss about Curacao to help those ticket sales along....maybe one of them can call it an overrated holiday destination or something....

A lot of people crying about the Iran friendly reminds me of the latest viral clip of Jordan Peterson crying about young children no longer able to identify as cisgender or whatever stupid conspiracy his fanboys latched onto. 

also, the crocodile tears about Iran are funny, because here we are playing their NT, guys who just wanna play soccer and happen to be from Iran, which is a problem, but us going to Qatar to play a tournament whose organizers used slave labour to build stadiums, which is totally okay. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

We're upset at Jordan Peterson. Keep up!

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

A lot of people crying about the Iran friendly reminds me of the latest viral clip of Jordan Peterson crying about young children no longer able to identify as cisgender or whatever stupid conspiracy his fanboys latched onto. 

Confirmed.

14 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Sure we could of. It's called a boycott and there was talk of that happening at the winter Olympics. In the end Canada just sent athletes and didnt send any politicians or diplomats. I'm sure we can all agree that if this is how the politicians feel about this game they should all make sure they stay far away.

I think part of the issue is that inviting the Iranian National Team also involves issuing visas for IRGC officers… it was the ITGC that killed about 80 Canadians and 30 Iranians with residency status only 3 years ago. I can’t imagine many governments allowing such a thing unless it was especially politically favourable in some way. Encouraging friendship via sport by paying the Iranian government a lot of money is an especially inane argument here.