CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Do you think it would be okay for Spain to play Bayern Munich, PSG or Man City? 
(You'll say no in your head, but yes here.)

As a rising nation with elite talent, this wouldn't be a good look regardless of the competition. 
I would prefer we played Catolonia or Basque or whoever, playing a club team has nothing to do with inferiority and more about simply "not being a good look".

Tell me when was the last time a national team played a club team (youth teams don't count)

Ukraine has been doing right now.

But they are obviously a special case. 

I still see it happen all the time. Even if it isn't too common.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A national team that is free.

Ethiopia, Bolivia, Isle of Man there's some more - take your pick.

A club on international break. 

MLS, Lativian, Iceland, Korean club - take your pick

A team of all-stars from a league.

Not really possible, these things are organized well ahead of time. The only "viable" option would be the CPL.

They are all viable options, and the fact that the CSA was not looking at them over the past week is a serious error on their part. 

They really do despise Canadian fans, the cynicism is peak.

None of these are really viable but absolute desperate situations that imo would be worth the expense. Mine aswell put that money towards a U23 camp, and play any of those opponents you suggested. 

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Ukraine has been doing right now.

But they are obviously a special case. 

I still see it happen all the time. Even if it isn't too common.

Cmon on bro....give me a real one.
I've only seen it common in the case "Brazil U20 vs Manchester United"

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Ethiopia, Bolivia, Isle of Man there's some more - take your pick.

MLS, Lativian, Iceland, Korean club - take your pick

Not really possible, these things are organized well ahead of time. The only "viable" option would be the CPL.

None of these are really viable but absolute desperate situations that imo would be worth the expense. Mine aswell put that money towards a U23 camp, and play any of those opponents you suggested. 

Obviously it is probably too late. 

But you are telling me you would not like to watch Iniesta playing for Vissel Kobe? They have a rather nice shirt to boot.

Obviously it is probably too late. 

But you are telling me you would not like to watch Iniesta playing for Vissel Kobe? They have a rather nice shirt to boot.

No, no I do not. You clearly have an affinity for Iniesta. (great player, but clearly past it, but that's what we got MLS for)

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Cmon on bro....give me a real one.
I've only seen it common in the case "Brazil U20 vs Manchester United"

A couple years ago Granada, in La Liga, played Morocco. 1-1 tie. And on and on.

Bayern Munich played Netherlands maybe a decade ago. We'll just keep rattling off examples and you can keep spitting at them. 

Point is: he's right and you are being obtuse, it happens all the time and is common enough to not have to be a jerk about it. If you are serious about prep, you are serious about prep. 

We actually don't even need the FIFA points to be in play, unless we lose our right to host the WC and have to qualify out of Concacaf in 2026.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Amazon Netflix GIF by Patriot Act

I mean, none of these games are going to have a material effect on our performance in Qatar, especially against a club that isn’t a massive (read: top 10 in the world) draw, so might as well make it a vanity thing- look at how good our soccer teams are.

Edited by InglewoodJack

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A couple years ago Granada, in La Liga, played Morocco. 1-1 tie. And on and on.

Bayern Munich played Netherlands maybe a decade ago. We'll just keep rattling off examples and you can keep spitting at them. 

Point is: he's right and you are being obtuse, it happens all the time and is common enough to not have to be a jerk about it. If you are serious about prep, you are serious about prep. 

We actually don't even need the FIFA points to be in play, unless we lose our right to host the WC and have to qualify out of Concacaf in 2026.

Italy played Fluminense before the Brazil WC. 

Think a few national teams played S African clubs before 2010.

Cuba played Cosmos back when they were still around. 

Four years ago Atlético Madrid played vs Nigeria in Nigeria. 

And on and on. But in Canada we are so smart it hurts.

Italy played Fluminense before the Brazil WC. 

Think a few national teams played S African clubs before 2010.

Cuba played Cosmos back when they were still around. 

Four years ago Atlético Madrid played vs Nigeria in Nigeria. 

And on and on. But in Canada we are so smart it hurts.

Richmond Kickers played the Mexican Olympic team prepping for Rio.

But keep on piling on the excuses.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’d rather the mens team play our women’s team than a club. C’mon.

Men's U19s can beat the senior women's team. This would be peak stupidity.

Edited by frmr

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I mean, none of these games are going to have a material effect on our performance in Qatar, especially against a club that isn’t a massive (read: top 10 in the world) draw, so might as well make it a vanity thing- look at how good our soccer teams are.

Yea Jack....I'm going to say you are lost on this. 
I get where you started with "none of these games are going to have a material effect on our performance in Qatar" but playing a womens team ....well thats when you lost me. 

Only our U15 team should play our CWNT. Any other way wouldn't be a showcase for the women, as it would be a blowout and wouldn't do the men any justice.

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea Jack....I'm going to say you are lost on this. 
I get where you started with "none of these games are going to have a material effect on our performance in Qatar" but playing a womens team ....well thats when you lost me. 

Only our U15 or U17 teams should play out CWNT. Any other way wouldn't be a showcase for the women, as it would be a blowout and wouldn't do the men any justice.

Then our men can play half strength, have em all throw their jerseys in the middle of the field and pick two mixed teams, I dunno. I’m not saying it’s a fair match, but we’re talking about CPL all stars, some random Japanese teams… any of those options would be an utter humiliation for our program, so if we’re that desperate for a game, then make it a novelty instead of begging for some random club to play.