CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

1 minute ago, K-Dub said:

We can't let Trudeau take all the credit. 

The Conservatives (and others) piled in too

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-demand-canada-soccer-cancel-soccer-game-against-iran-1.6465701

I am happy to give the Cons and others that share of Trudeau's 5%.

However, they never spoke of it until he did, so he gets the lions share of it, imo.

But more importantly, the media was the bull horn for the conservatives and others who piled on. 

4 minutes ago, Pasha said:

LOL at Canada. Justin is such a loser, and there is no doubt he is behind this cancellation. I hope one day the people of Canada wake up and see that all these restrictions put in place by your liberal government is at the expense of your freedoms (I won't get into these restrictions, but you should know exactly what I am talking about you intelligent Canadians), and is overtly hypocritical. Yeah, lets not play Iran because of X, but let us surely play in the WC in Qatar although they also committed Y and Z, both egregious human rights abuses.

The national team of Iran, is the only, THE ONLY, unifying force for my people. Your federation has mixed politics and sport. And please don't give me a whataboutism saying Iran does this and that and those actions are certainly an intermingling of sport and politics etc. CANADA is not Iran LOL--supposedly Canadians live in a free society, my people do not. But the national team is a representation of the people. By denying the people joy, you have created an enemy in me. I boycott Canada, and I hope to see your national team fail. IDC if I sound petty, you entitled Canadians are no better than the Americans. 

And to the Iranians promoting the cancellation; kiram dahanet. 

I can tell you’re being very genuine and this doesn’t at all come from some weird bone you have to pick with Trudeau. 

Just now, El Hombre said:

Really, did it though?  Admittedly I've been more pre-occupied with the storm that rolled through Eastern Ontario over the weekend and not having power restored for several days so I'm out of the loop, but I thought it was really just one or two CBC reporters that were banging the same drum.  I was actually going to ask on Tuesday whether the story had all blown over because I wasn't hearing about it.  Was this a bigger issue nationally or in BC?

We had full-throated opposition and blame directed to Canada Soccer across the political spectrum.  For example:

Mayor of Vancouver:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/purecountry/pembroke/local-news/vancouver-mayor-speaks-out-against-soccer-friendly-between-canada-iran-1.17812222

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The tweet says that "players discussed refusing to play".

So the players may have been collectively discussing that as a group. That would be a sign of a strong brotherhood, if anything, not a weak one. 

i saw that tweet, and while i believe there is a strong brotherhood, i also have never seen that reporter do coverage of the CanMNT.  Why would players suddenly go to him, of all people, to disclose a refusal to play the match?  

The game was sold out, or close to sold out.  Yes, there would likely be protests, but as someone pointed out, the Iranian diaspora has differing opinions on the current gov't (like any other group of people and their home nation).  My guess is support for the match would be much higher than dissent for it..

1 hour ago, narduch said:

There is a bit of a double standard and hypocrisy going on here.

Canada doesn't have an official policy against Iranian's coming to Canada. Iranian recording artists have concerts in Canada all the time and no one says boo.

Iranian recording artists are not a national team; the latter are national representatives, the former are not.

52 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't buy the "this was foreseeable" argument since the controversy only started 5 days after the match was announced and nearly sold out when Trudeau spoke the way he did, that's when the media shit storm started. And he was under no obligation to shit upon the idea without giving reasons and throwing the CSA under the bus in the process.

No, Trudeau was asked about it because it was controversial. He didn’t start the controversy.

What “reasons” do you think he didn’t give? He disagreed with the decision for the same reason the protestors did.

He didn’t throw the CSA under the bus, as that would only apply if he had had some involvement in the initial decision. Trudeau isn’t under any obligation to defend the CSA.

29 minutes ago, ray said:

Where was the outrage when our Olympians went to China following the "2 Michaels" situation? 

There actually was a fair bit of controversy around that, and a diplomatic boycott.

1 minute ago, cornerkick said:

i saw that tweet, and while i believe there is a strong brotherhood, i also have never seen that reporter do coverage of the CanMNT.  Why would players suddenly go to him, of all people, to disclose a refusal to play the match?  

The game was sold out, or close to sold out.  Yes, there would likely be protests, but as someone pointed out, the Iranian diaspora has differing opinions on the current gov't (like any other group of people and their home nation).  My guess is support for the match would be much higher than dissent for it..

100% would want more reporting on that. Haven't seen it elsewhere yet, so should take the source into account.

3 minutes ago, BigMo said:

We had full-throated opposition and blame directed to Canada Soccer across the political spectrum.  For example:

Mayor of Vancouver:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/purecountry/pembroke/local-news/vancouver-mayor-speaks-out-against-soccer-friendly-between-canada-iran-1.17812222

Okay thanks.  I remember Pierre and the mayor saying stuff, but figured it would blow over over the weekend.  Didn't see the tweet from Goodale.

I still find it hard to believe that this is enough pressure to have these ramifications, but I guess I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I can tell you’re being very genuine and this doesn’t at all come from some weird bone you have to pick with Trudeau. 

Don't be facetious. Teammelli was clearly screwed over by your liberal parasitic media which is promulgated by your weirdo leader--yes he's a weirdo, Canadians are not keen on him and if you are you are in the minority sir.  

9 minutes ago, theaub said:

No, espeically since Ukraine will play on June 5 if they beat Scotland.

So Ukraine IS available! :)

Seriously though .. I wonder if they could make a deal to play the loser. Though might have to move the game further east - perhaps to Europe - to make that work.

1 minute ago, Pasha said:

Don't be facetious. Teammelli was clearly screwed over by your liberal parasitic media which is promulgated by your weirdo leader--yes he's a weirdo, Canadians are not keen on him and if you are you are in the minority sir.  

Yeah man if we had a conservative government we totally would’ve played Iran, considering that conservatives are famously very pro-Iran. Totally man. Iran got fucked by this, no doubt, but turning this into a garden variety Fox News gripe is weak as hell.

2 minutes ago, Pasha said:

The recent election results seem to show a different opinion. And oh no, “liberal media”!  

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Well that didn't age well. I disagree with the cancellation - but that this wasn't on anyone's radar initially, speaks to the collective blinders that we and CSA have in this ever increasing nationalistic world. It seems the idea that sport should be independent of nationalism is dead.

So how much $ is CSA offering in refunds to those with air travel? I hear they have $400,000 to spend. :)

Ya, this is mind blowing to me.

43 minutes ago, Pasha said:

Guy with a very liberal university email address signs up to a Canadian soccer board to post anti-liberal rants. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'll take a stab at it....

Media 50% (this shouldn't need further explanation)

Trudeau 5% (was put on the spot, but the negativity did start with him, after all)

CSA 20% (I mean, they did book the friendly)

Government 25% (seems like they denied visas of soccer players for political reasons they have nothing to do with, all in the name of political optics.)

Agreed. The media thing just kills me. 

These lazy fucks make a great deal about this friendly. It’s largely a superficial event and the economic consequences are essentially  meaningless. 

Meanwhile, we continue to let any scumbag with a dollar invest in our housing market to launder their cash (including certain Iranians the government appears to be politically opposed to). 

But these high-and-mighty media types would never mention that cause their get a shit-ton of advertising dollars from the real estate industry. 

The Iranian government is responsible for shooting down a plane with Canadian citizens and people here are upset at Trudeau? Some of y’all are too much.

This is squarely on the CSA, it was completely tone deaf and spit on the graves of those Canadians who were murdered by the Iranian government.

This isn’t about being snowflakes, this is about Canadian citizens and the impact on their families.

1 minute ago, Colonel Green said:

No, Trudeau was asked about it because it was controversial. He didn’t start the controversy.

What “reasons” do you think he didn’t give? He disagreed with the decision for the same reason the protestors did.

He obviously did start the controversy with respect to the general public. The issue is not that he responded to the media but how he responded. I said so at the time and I also said so in the post you are quoting. When I originally pointed this out people on this board tried to deny that a controversy was even being created - they didn't see how his comments would prove to be divisive, now we're getting people saying that the controversy was there all along and its nothing to do with him.

I also don't really see why I'm supposed to provide him with his reasons why he thinks it is a "bad idea" for Canada to play Iran in a WC preparation match. That's up to him to do, he's the one who made the public condemnation without justification. I can't read minds, I can only go on what he said & his actions, which were negative and have only done harm.

Just now, ag futbol said:

Meanwhile, we continue to let any scumbag with a dollar invest in our housing market to launder their cash (including certain Iranians the government appears to be politically opposed to). 

But these high-and-mighty media types would never mention that cause their get a shit-ton of advertising dollars from the real estate industry. 

If that was true, how did you know about it?

The only good that may come of this is a total revamp of the CSA. The team has been good recently in spite of their general incompetence. 

The u20 camp was a good example. Besides the people on this board literally noone even knew it existed. 

7 minutes ago, Pasha said:

We've all been screwed over. But I don't see why going after Trudeau is a thing, given that the calls to cancel the game were stronger from politicians of OTHER parties.

And surely it's a bit hypocritical to go after a recently re-elected leader, who gain in seats only a few months ago, compared to a pervert like bigoted unelected Ayatollah Khamenei.