CNL: Group Stage - Window 1 (June 9th-14th, 2022)

Shway

Najar is not surprising because he has been in and out for ages, but why no Elis or Lozano? It's not like they have something more imp to rest up for. This is it for Honduras! Maybe they are just getting a break from a long Euro season and in the case of Elis perhaps there is a pending transfer. He's scored like 9 goals in 18 Ligue 1 games for Bordeaux on loan.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Najar is not surprising because he has been in and out for ages, but why no Elis or Lozano? It's not like they have something more imp to rest up for. This is it for Honduras! Maybe they are just getting a break from a long Euro season and in the case of Elis perhaps there is a pending transfer. He's scored like 9 goals in 18 Ligue 1 games for Bordeaux on loan.

Elis hasn’t been in the Bordeaux lineup in over a month so I assume he’s inured.

Lozano is apparently out due to a pending surgery 

This is a weak Honduras...but at the same time not to be underestimated. 
In the same breathe, it furthers my point of seeing squad rotation. Let's get some guys some minutes in Latin American countries when we can, so those demons can't exist.

Edited by Shway

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Cornelius stands out the most to me. Hes not injured is he? 

Pretty sure he finished out the season in Greece.

Fraser is also interesting since he has played multiple matches with CMNT recently. Cornelius couldn't crack the lineup

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Cornelius stands out the most to me. Hes not injured is he? 

I agree with this.

Millar is out because of injury

Kone is out because of injury and dip in form

Gutierrez is out likely due to Edwards form so far this season

Fraser is out as a general fringe player

Cornelius is the only one that had a solid European season and not included.  Given the fact that he was not used last international break when we had several injuries and given the fact he was not included in this squad for experience.  It sure seems like he is "on the outside looking in" for Qatar.  The only thing I could see that might detract from calling him would be that his season in Greece ended nearly a month ago?  It still doesn't add up to me though.

Seems like Herdman is banking on our two most injured players to be healthy for Qatar in Doneil & Vitoria.  Add in that a 39 year old Atiba is likely our 3rd option at CB.  And Herdman better pray that all three remain healthy and playing regularly because so far Henry & Vitoria have played a combined 4 or 5 times in 2022.

Edited by Corazon

37 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Seems like Herdman is banking on our two most injured players to be healthy for Qatar in Doneil & Vitoria.  Add in that a 39 year old Atiba is likely our 3rd option at CB.  And Herdman better pray that all three remain healthy and playing regularly because so far Henry & Vitoria have played a combined 4 or 5 times in 2022.

Now would have been a perfect time to acclimatize another CB like Joel Waterman, just in case of injury in the fall.

Calling up nine forwards seems excessive.  Maybe Mr. Herdman is going to experiment with formations?

8 hours ago, king1010 said:

He hasnt been exactly tearing it up in leage one. 

I won’t act like I watched him or even care. Just from reading here it sounds like he had his moments. Essentially calling in 24 when WC rosters will be 26 seems like a mistake. You never know who could get injured and a good loan this season could see him pushing for a spot.

15 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Why no Corbeanu?

At the risk of starting something i think Corbeanu is probably not vaccinated. He hasn't been called up since government announced their intent to ban the unvaccinated from air travel in August 2021 as he wouldn't be able to get back to England. 

He's a better player than Brym, was in every squad before the announcement and by a quick check of the IG hasn't been in Canada. 

I suspect if the ban gets dropped we see Theo back with the team. 

All this talk about cancelled friendlies and noncommittal dual nationals makes me forget about who we actually have. Really hope that David and Larin especially have a great couple of games- would love to see them with some confidence boosters before next season, plus they might have a couple of nice highlight reel plays to sway a couple clubs that might have either on their radar (unless Larin’s Besiktas deal was already signed). I also miss watching Laryea play some real minutes. It’ll be great to watch him actually play well instead of hearing Forrest’s manager talk about it. 

I am a bit sad the Curacao squad isn't stronger. They had a lot of guys apparently interested last summer but since then some ended up getting looks with the Netherlands and others just haven't joined up. Maybe they'll be stronger in March.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I am a bit sad the Curacao squad isn't stronger. They had a lot of guys apparently interested last summer but since then some ended up getting looks with the Netherlands and others just haven't joined up. Maybe they'll be stronger in March.

They still have some strong players though by the looks of it, even though I am not familiar with most of them.

Curaçao national football team - Wikipedia

This guy caught my attention:

Anthony van den Hurk - Wikipedia

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

Was it released? Asking as I'd update the first page of the Curaçao thread if I can find it.