CNL: Group Stage - Window 1 (June 9th-14th, 2022)

Shway

Our second foray into this tournament, on the back of topping the standings on our way to qualifying to the World Cup.
We aren't a surprise anymore, and we are expecting to top our group and qualify for the final portion of this tournament next year.
Red cards would carry over from the WCQ'ing, however are team is on a clean slate.

Here's is our game schedule for window 1 of 2 for this group stage.

Game #1: 
🆚 : Curacao 🇨🇼
📅. : June 9th, 2022
📍 Vancouver, Canada
🏟️ BC Place
🕰️ : 7:30 p.m. PT/10:30 p.m. ET
📺 : OneSoccer

Game #2: 
🆚 : Honduras 🇭🇳
📅. : June 14th, 2022
📍 San Pedro Sula, Honduras
🏟️ Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano
🕰️ : 7:00 p.m PT/10:00 pm ET
📺 : OneSoccer

Edited by Shway

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Red cards would carry over from the WCQ'ing, however are team is on a clean slate.

I believe red cards from WCQ carry over to the World Cup itself (if you qualified) or the next competive match if you didn't.

Either way, not relevant in our case. No red cards for Curaçao or Honduras either.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Honduras 🇭🇳 ...
🕰️ : TBD

You can edit to include kickoff time.

8pm in San Pedro Sula / 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific

Squad speculation.

What we do know is that there is a few key players with varying statuses. Which will allow for some new faces, or even some fringe players to play bigger roles than they did in WCQ. As a result of the statuses of key players, and the opponent (no disrespect) I don't think we can call this actual preparation for the WC.

Here's what we know:

Injured List:
Osorio: Out injured - timeline is undetermined 
Millar: Broken arm - timeline to return 3-5 weeks
Wotherspoon: ACL - timeline is undetermined  
Henry: Hamstring - timeline is undetermined

Out of Contract:
Junior Hoilett
Cyle Larin
Atiba Hutchinson
Stephen Vitoria

Squad Prediction:

Goalkeepers:
Crepeau, St. Clair, Breza
Defenders:
Cornelius, Kennedy, Miller, Johnston, Laryea, Adekugbe, Waterman, Edwards
Midfielders:
Eustaqiuo, Kaye, Kone, Fraser, Mitrovic, Piette, Paton
Forwards:
David, Davies, Buchanan, Ugbo, Ennin, Larin, Brym

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

Squad speculation.

What we do know is that there is a few key players with varying statuses. Which will allow for some new faces, or even some fringe players to play bigger roles than they did in WCQ. As a result of the statuses of key players, and the opponent (no disrespect) I don't think we can call this actual preparation for the WC.

Here's what we know:

Injured List:

Out of Contract:
Junior Hoilett
Cyle Larin
Atiba Hutchinson
Stephen Vitoria

Squad Prediction:

Goalkeepers:
Defenders:
Midfielders:
Forwards:

I wouldn't mind this group of players 

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

Squad speculation.

Here's what we know:

Injured List:

Out of Contract:
Junior Hoilett
Cyle Larin
Atiba Hutchinson
Stephen Vitoria

Squad Prediction:

Goalkeepers:
Defenders:
Midfielders:
Forwards:

I think it's a great summary of our current pool. Aside from maybe Hutch, I'd still expect all the out of contract players listed to be there with the group for the CNL and friendlies

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think it's a great summary of our current pool. Aside from maybe Hutch, I'd still expect all the out of contract players listed to be there with the group for the CNL and friendlies

I think Vitoria too....I agree we may see Hoilett, but these older guys need a proper rest. 
Hoilett will essentially have no break, as the Championship starts in July (if he signs back for reading or a championship squad)

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think Vitoria too....I agree we may see Hoilett, but these older guys need a proper rest. 
Hoilett will essentially have no break, as the Championship starts in July (if he signs back for reading or a championship squad)

I don't disagree they need rest, but at the same time, these same older guys only get one shot at this World Cup

10 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I don't disagree they need rest, but at the same time, these same older guys only get one shot at this World Cup

But what does Nations League have to do with the World Cup?

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure how fit he is. He didn't get a a single minute in his last two matches at club level.

Tesho is also out injured.

He has played about 90' of club football since January.

The question is whether we want to shop-window him, so he maybe gets a decent gig next season.

Since we are struggling to get friendlies, Nations League is a key component of our prep for the World Cup. We may get 5-6 matches in the next half year. 

So I am all for calling all the core players, Hutch, Borjan and Hoillet included. 

If we are playing Iran first, then for sure then. But you can't just play the major players vs the tougher rivals. If you are putting Curaçao in BC Place, if you don't have some of the major players it will be a major con job. If you want to fill BC Place and fulfil the gesture of the NT towards the BC fans, you have to ensure some minimums. I'm not sure they are clear about this. 

But Herdman should at least be clear about this new page we have to write, which is prepping for the World Cup. Every match, including against a modest side, is key prep and has to be a factor in squad readiness and selection as well.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since we are struggling to get friendlies, Nations League is a key component of our prep for the World Cup. We may get 5-6 matches in the next half year. 

So I am all for calling all the core players, Hutch, Borjan and Hoillet included. 

If we are playing Iran first, then for sure then. But you can't just play the major players vs the tougher rivals. If you are putting Curaçao in BC Place, if you don't have some of the major players it will be a major con job. If you want to fill BC Place and fulfil the gesture of the NT towards the BC fans, you have to ensure some minimums. I'm not sure they are clear about this. 

But Herdman should at least be clear about this new page we have to write, which is prepping for the World Cup. Every match, including against a modest side, is key prep and has to be a factor in squad readiness and selection as well.

I’m sorry but that’s an excuse for the BC fans.

Those veteran leaders are not the stars of the team. If Staq, Davies, David, Buchanan, and Larin are all there and there are cries for “tHiS iS nOt ThE fIrSt TeAm” it’s only a detriment to the city and it’ll be next stop Montreal or better yet Winnipeg. 

The gesture is having a game when it could be elsewhere. The CMNT doesn’t owe Vancouver anything, there’s an argument for Victoria but nothing else. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I’m sorry but that’s an excuse for the BC fans.

Those veteran leaders are not the stars of the team. If Staq, Davies, David, Buchanan, and Larin are all there and there are cries for “tHiS iS nOt ThE fIrSt TeAm” it’s only a detriment to the city and it’ll be next stop Montreal or better yet Winnipeg. 

The gesture is having a game when it could be elsewhere. The CMNT doesn’t owe Vancouver anything, there’s an argument for Victoria but nothing else. 

Anyone planning on using a comparatively small crowd for Curacao in a competition most have never heard of as a pretext to argue that the west coast doesn't 'deserve' to host future games can fuck right off.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

Anyone planning on using a comparatively small crowd for Curacao in a competition most have never heard of as a pretext to argue that the west coast doesn't 'deserve' to host future games can fuck right off.

A lot of excuses being created is all I'm saying. A lot more pessimism than optimism from the ones who were crying "what about us". 

Show out, bring your friends, bring your family. I'll be there, and I assume a few others on the east side... on short notice.

Wow our midfield is getting more and more depleted and as previously mentioned we are 1-3 injuries from being absolutely depleted in the midfield by the WC to get bossed and shredded by Debruyne and Modric. 

Hopefully some new faces step up, and/or the core guys stay/get healthy and have a great 5-6 month run in. 

Using these games is a great opportunity.