How Far Are We From A Soccer Nation?

lamptern

In order for us to be a better Footballing nation We need more clubs, and these clubs got to be more than just Soccer Clubs they have to be become a social club , get involved in the charity organizations in there respected cities, organize functions for members to raise money , there are so many things we can come up with . 

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Just watched the TFC vs Inter Miami highlights on Sportscentre on TSN. Here are the highlights shown.

The Miami team bus.
Messi warming up.
Pitch invader.
Another pitch invader.

No actual gameplay shown, and no mention that the 1-0 loss for TFC (along with other results today) eliminated TFC from the playoffs. That doesn't seem like a nation that takes itself seriously in soccer. 

Given who is left watching Sportscentre type shows on linear tv and highlights being available anywhere, this is what I would show also. Messi has enough celebrity status to titillate some non-soccer people and pitch invaders (preferably animals) always provide entertainment value. The Sportscentre audience doesn't care that TFC lost.

But based on clips on tsn.ca, in some editions of Sportscentre, after showing CFM highlights, they put up the East table and noted TFC was eliminated. 

https://www.tsn.ca/video/mls-charlotte-fc-2-cf-montreal-0~3006091

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Just watched the TFC vs Inter Miami highlights on Sportscentre on TSN. Here are the highlights shown.

The Miami team bus.
Messi warming up.
Pitch invader.
Another pitch invader.

No actual gameplay shown, and no mention that the 1-0 loss for TFC (along with other results today) eliminated TFC from the playoffs. That doesn't seem like a nation that takes itself seriously in soccer. 

The company that just sold its rights in this team doesn't really care about the team anymore, more at 11.

Sportscentre type shows aren't about highlights anymore, just about things that generate discussion. Highlights are readily available by the leagues themselves now. 

Edited by Mihairokov

9 hours ago, gigi riva said:

In order for us to be a better Footballing nation We need more clubs, and these clubs got to be more than just Soccer Clubs they have to be become a social club , get involved in the charity organizations in there respected cities, organize functions for members to raise money , there are so many things we can come up with . 

It's exactly this. If you are visible in your community and more importantly giving back to the community more people we support back. It's not the only solution and part of a bigger overall picture to get where you need, but without the community visibility, outreach and engagement aspect It's an uphill battle that usually ends in people downing tools and playing a blame game anywhere but themselves. 

I have lost track of the amount of teams, initiatives, community projects etc. In all walks of life that simple dont do the basic engagement and promotion then say things like "well we tried and obviously it will never work, we won't try again."  But did you really "try"??

6 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

The company that just sold its rights in this team doesn't really care about the team anymore, more at 11.

Sportscentre type shows aren't about highlights anymore, just about things that generate discussion. Highlights are readily available by the leagues themselves now. 

They still showed several TFC games this season. I get it that it is a pretty cynical show in that it is largely a commercial for the stuff they show, but it's still frustrating. In any football first country they would have actually showed highlights from the game itself.

7 hours ago, red card said:

But based on clips on tsn.ca, in some editions of Sportscentre, after showing CFM highlights, they put up the East table and noted TFC was eliminated. 

Yes, about a half hour after the TFC vs Messi story, they showed highlights for Montreal and I think Vancouver if they played too, and as an aside mentioned TFC were eliminated as they showed the table.

A few times picking my son up from school I’ve seen kids in Canada soccer gear but today I was surprised to find that the kids were working on a Canada soccer activity book with cartoon pictures of David and Johnston on the front with two WNT players and some Canada trivia. 

My son said the principal handed them out to their entire class today. Pretty cool and great to see Canada soccer engaging with schools in this way. Together with the practices we’re seeing in Montreal this is a serious growth moment for the MNT. 

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

A few times picking my son up from school I’ve seen kids in Canada soccer gear but today I was surprised to find that the kids were working on a Canada soccer activity book with cartoon pictures of David and Johnston on the front with two WNT players and some Canada trivia. 

My son said the principal handed them out to their entire class today. Pretty cool and great to see Canada soccer engaging with schools in this way. Together with the practices we’re seeing in Montreal this is a serious growth moment for the MNT. 

You do not live in Quebec I would guess.😁

Canada Soccer at Montreal in 2017 (Game) = 6000 Montrealers at Saputo Stadium

Canada Soccer at Montreal in  2024(Practice) = 1100 Montrealers at Saputo Stadium

Canada Soccer at ''Montreal regions'' (Longueuil, NDG, St-Laurent, Laval, Blainville, etc) in 2024 (Community Events): Full Montrealers

50 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

The new Brampton: How Montreal became the place for Canada’s young talent

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5832800/2024/10/11/montreal-canada-mens-national-team/

Now 2 we have building blocks for a soccer nation. But they can't regress like BC has.

What were the keys to Montreal's rise that others can look to emulate?

At the player level, they learn the game via streetball. Lack of opportunities has created a hardened mentality. No established pathway means players need to hustle. 

At the youth club level, technical skills are prioritized. Develop players to be creative in the final third. More investment in coaching including bringing over European guest coaches. More effort in rasing money from sponsors which has meant TDs are full-time. Volunteers kept programs alive, but without pros with experience and education, players weren't getting the instruction seen elsewhere in the world. Players born post 2000 were the first to benefit.

Edited by red card