Ali Ahmed

toontownman

Ali never had the best of games, but like I said about Shaff in the Millar thread, you can see just how far he's come. Even without having his best game he was still effective. He had a few moments where things didn't come off, but he's able to handle the speed of play and his athleticism really helps keep him in the team. 

Hopefully Vancouver gets into the playoffs and goes on a run to keep him active heading into November. For me he's done just enough to hold onto the starting role at RM. I don't really want to see a returning Buchanan out there. I don't think he's as effective on the right. I think he's best on the left, cutting in on his right foot, just like Millar. 

We'll see if he's fit enough to come in, but considering he'll be just coming back into the swing of things, I think we have to go with Millar starting on the left next match, with Ahmed holding it down on the right. Then, we'll see what Buchanan and Shaff can do coming off the bench. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Hopefully Vancouver gets into the playoffs and goes on a run to keep him active heading into November. 

In 14 seasons, the longest "playoff run" by the Whitecaps was 3 games - a play-in game followed by a round 1 exit. Given the current play of the Whitecaps, that run appears in no danger of being broken.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Ali never had the best of games, but like I said about Shaff in the Millar thread, you can see just how far he's come. Even without having his best game he was still effective. He had a few moments where things didn't come off, but he's able to handle the speed of play and his athleticism really helps keep him in the team. 

Hopefully Vancouver gets into the playoffs and goes on a run to keep him active heading into November. For me he's done just enough to hold onto the starting role at RM. I don't really want to see a returning Buchanan out there. I don't think he's as effective on the right. I think he's best on the left, cutting in on his right foot, just like Millar. 

We'll see if he's fit enough to come in, but considering he'll be just coming back into the swing of things, I think we have to go with Millar starting on the left next match, with Ahmed holding it down on the right. Then, we'll see what Buchanan and Shaff can do coming off the bench. 

I wasn't able to watch much of the second half until the lead up to the winning goal but I didn't think he was that effective in the first half.  Part of that was the slow track conditions but they closed him down fairly well, ditto Laryea.  I'll have to re-watch later today but I remarked that it wasn't a whole lot different from the Minny game I watched in person last week.

I actually think he is better on the left because he is most dangerous cutting inside onto his preferred right foot, drawing defenders and then dishing it off to others basketball point guard style.  His style is the kind of play that would enhance the opportunities for the forwards and an overlapping Davies.

39 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I wasn't able to watch much of the second half until the lead up to the winning goal but I didn't think he was that effective in the first half.  Part of that was the slow track conditions but they closed him down fairly well, ditto Laryea.  I'll have to re-watch later today but I remarked that it wasn't a whole lot different from the Minny game I watched in person last week.

I actually think he is better on the left because he is most dangerous cutting inside onto his preferred right foot, drawing defenders and then dishing it off to others basketball point guard style.  His style is the kind of play that would enhance the opportunities for the forwards and an overlapping Davies.

I will have to re-watch as well, but going off memory he was effective in the press.

He wasn't a liability with the ball, but he wasn't necessarily effective, until the beautiful assist of course.  

On balance I would say he did just enough to warrant a start next match. And I see what you're saying about playing him inverted and somewhat agree, but if I had to choose between him, Millar and Buchanan playing inverted, he'd be my last choice. 

I think he deserves to be starting for Canada right now and RW seems to be the best place to slot him in even if it's not his best position, if that makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And I see what you're saying about playing him inverted and somewhat agree, but if I had to choose between him, Millar and Buchanan playing inverted, he'd be my last choice. 

I am not so sure.  At his best, I think he sees the field and passing options the best of those three.  As I said, more point guard like.  The other two are superior shooters cutting inside, with Millar the most "two footed" of them so best are crossing with his left as needed, while Buchanan the best explosive burst on a 1 v 1 dribble.

Kinda of a first world problem here.  

I think Ahmed will be on the move to Europe after this season.  I hope that he lands in a good spot.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I will have to re-watch as well, but going off memory he was effective in the press.

He wasn't a liability with the ball, but he wasn't necessarily effective, until the beautiful assist of course.  

On balance I would say he did just enough to warrant a start next match. And I see what you're saying about playing him inverted and somewhat agree, but if I had to choose between him, Millar and Buchanan playing inverted, he'd be my last choice. 

I think he deserves to be starting for Canada right now and RW seems to be the best place to slot him in even if it's not his best position, if that makes sense.

Remember: Johnston should be back in November as well, so pushing Laryea up to RM is an option as well.

I think Ahmed and Shaff get dropped from the XI for next match. And I know others won’t agree but I’d have Hoilett back in the team next month. Too good of a player and would be a great asset off the bench. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Is it just me or anyone else think Ali's ideal spot could/would be in the middle?  I would not dare criticize Marsch's decisions, but I'd love to see how a 3-man midfield could work with our squad 4-3-3.

I've always seen him best in the middle or on the left. Tough competition in the middle though. It's great he is so versatile. Sigur, Choiniere, possible Poku too, give us lots of flexibility to what Laryea, Buchanan, Phonzie et al were already giving us.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

He has a certain flair and game breaking ability. Definitely a late bloomer.

Agreed. I also like that he is a tad bit unpredictable, a counterpoint to a more traditional mid or two making mostly safe plays.

8 hours ago, costarg said:

Is it just me or anyone else think Ali's ideal spot could/would be in the middle?  I would not dare criticize Marsch's decisions, but I'd love to see how a 3-man midfield could work with our squad 4-3-3.

The way Marsch has David playing, isn't he the 3rd midfielder?

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

The way Marsch has David playing, isn't he the 3rd midfielder?

They play a 4-4-2/ 4-2-4 defensively depending on the press. If the press is broken we see David often tracking back in a cam like role. 

offensively we play 4-4-1-1/ 4-2-2-1-1/4-4-2/4-2-2-2. David doesn’t play a traditional midfield role. He starts up top and drops deep to find pockets of space but his starting position is much higher than regular cams. This is eye test only but compare a heat map of de bruyne and David and one drifts from into midfield. The other drifts into attacking positions. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

They play a 4-4-2/ 4-2-4 defensively depending on the press. If the press is broken we see David often tracking back in a cam like role. 

offensively we play 4-4-1-1/ 4-2-2-1-1/4-4-2/4-2-2-2. David doesn’t play a traditional midfield role. He starts up top and drops deep to find pockets of space but his starting position is much higher than regular cams. This is eye test only but compare a heat map of de bruyne and David and one drifts from into midfield. The other drifts into attacking positions. 

He is a deeper lying forward to me.  I don't see him as CAM.  He is similar to a Grieszman in that way.

I like Ahmed. He brings something to the Whitecaps that few other players on the team do. A certain level of creativity and craftiness most of the other players don't have. But at the same time, he has 1 goal and 0 assists in 21 MLS games this year, and 0 points in the Canadian Championship. I'd hate to sell him (for the reasons listed above), but if a decent club in Europe came calling I wouldn't have a problem selling (with a good sell on clause included). I'll be interested to keep following his career, because so far the finishing just isn't there compared to what you'd expect.