Ali Ahmed

toontownman

4 hours ago, ahmedou said:

I always wanted to find a Ahmed (goat soccer player). And I finally found the one. And he's canadian.

His playmaking is elite.

I'll order the Ahmed's jersey. He makes me myself and I proud.

It's not just his playmaking - it's his desire and commitment, his compete level, that is turning heads right now.  When you combine great athleticism with a 100% refusal to lose a duel, you have a very formidable competitor.  Add in AA's technical skills, and it's wonderful thing to behold.

And if I'm being completely honest, part of what's missing in his Whitecaps' game is the compete level that he's showing when he pulls on the maple leaf.  I mean today he's lying on the ground trying win balls, running over/through guys to get a touch, covering huge amounts of ground all game just to get into passing lanes and try and disrupt.  Like I said, something to behold. 

8 hours ago, GasPed said:

It's not just his playmaking - it's his desire and commitment, his compete level, that is turning heads right now.  When you combine great athleticism with a 100% refusal to lose a duel, you have a very formidable competitor.  Add in AA's technical skills, and it's wonderful thing to behold.

And if I'm being completely honest, part of what's missing in his Whitecaps' game is the compete level that he's showing when he pulls on the maple leaf.  I mean today he's lying on the ground trying win balls, running over/through guys to get a touch, covering huge amounts of ground all game just to get into passing lanes and try and disrupt.  Like I said, something to behold. 

He and Vanni don't seem to be a good combo.  

10 hours ago, GasPed said:

And also the fact that his name is Ahmed.

I'll begin my Ahmed's propaganda.

He'll become my favorite canadian ever. It's just a matter of time.

11 hours ago, GasPed said:

Ahmed at the MLS level frequently loses duels.  He's easily stripped of the ball and doesn't recover it well.  His attacking play is dangerous, but you'll also notice the limited goals/assists this year, because his final play and decision making has been poor.  The talent is there to play at a higher level, but he's still developing.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think Vanni has anything against Ahmed.  Vanni has simply chosen a formation for which most of the team (including Ahmed) is not as suited.

Agreed, that's what I was implying.  I assumed we all kinda understood, been mentioned repeatedly here.

Kinda odd and funny, since the exact same situation has unfolded over at CFM.

Edited by costarg

37 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Ahmed at the MLS level frequently loses duels.  He's easily stripped of the ball and doesn't recover it well.  His attacking play is dangerous, but you'll also notice the limited goals/assists this year, because his final play and decision making has been poor.  The talent is there to play at a higher level, but he's still developing.

I find this bewildering because in the 2 consecutive games he has started for Canada vs Uruguay and USA he has been anti everything that you have stated above. Furthermore the opposition he has faced with Canada are certainly not weaker than MLS teams. If anything I would say it was higher. And this goes back further to his performances at the 2023 Gold Cup as well. 

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I find this bewildering because in the 2 consecutive games he has started for Canada vs Uruguay and USA he has been anti everything that you have stated above. Furthermore the opposition he has faced with Canada are certainly not weaker than MLS teams. If anything I would say it was higher. And this goes back further to his performances at the 2023 Gold Cup as well. 

I know.  Believe me, it's frustrating.  He should be one of the real key players on the Whitecaps, but he's not.  I keep waiting for it click for him, and it just hasn't this year.

12 minutes ago, saladroit said:

lol vanni was the u23 coach when ahmed had his first trial with the whitecaps and basically gave him a shot in the first place

Yes, he gave him a shot. 

Do you feel he brings out the best of Ahmed?  CANMNT Ahmed > VWC Ahmed and it's not even close.  Ahmed is being help back under Vanni at the moment.  I feel a different coach could unleash this kid to a whole other level.

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

Yes, he gave him a shot. 

Do you feel he brings out the best of Ahmed?  CANMNT Ahmed > VWC Ahmed and it's not even close.  Ahmed is being help back under Vanni at the moment.  I feel a different coach could unleash this kid to a whole other level.

I don't think Vanni is holding Ahmed back. But I do think that the Whitecaps system doesn't favour him, it always seems like Ahmed is isolated on his side, often 1 v 2 with little support, especially against better teams, but I think that mostly just reflects the Whitecaps talent ceiling more than anything particular about the coach, I doubt much would change if you kept the same personnel but changed the coach.

3 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I don't think Vanni is holding Ahmed back. But I do think that the Whitecaps system doesn't favour him, it always seems like Ahmed is isolated on his side, often 1 v 2 with little support, especially against better teams, but I think that mostly just reflects the Whitecaps talent ceiling more than anything particular about the coach, I doubt much would change if you kept the same personnel but changed the coach.

Formation and position is what I was implying.  He hasn't tied him down, but he isn't helping him by playing him to his strengths.