Ali Ahmed

toontownman

It's going to sound a bit like nitpicking, but Ali's bad pass to LDF led to LDF's yellow, which in turn led to their first goal. 😟 However, apart from that, I totally agree - he played a great game and was a constant thorn in their side.  He plays a lot like Liam Millar - always willing/happy to take on someone - but I also appreciate the way his combination play with the mids can be a thing of beauty.  Such great potential there.

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

This guy was an absolute stud tonight. Love to see it. Another one that's looking like Europe beckons. Hope he maintains this form with the whitecaps.

His composure and ease on the ball and under pressure is magnificent, much like Kone. Ali is so smooth.

Yeah I too hope he goes to Europe

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

This guy was an absolute stud tonight. Love to see it. Another one that's looking like Europe beckons. Hope he maintains this form with the whitecaps.

His composure and ease on the ball and under pressure is magnificent, much like Kone. Ali is so smooth.

^100%. To me at GC23, Ahmed was the breakout player with his incredible 1v1 ability. The Uruguayan defenders were unable to contain him. Yesterday he was also  quasi playmaker as well. Would love to see him with David on the field at the same time

On 7/14/2024 at 7:48 AM, Watchmen said:

Yes, that's part of it.  Vanni uses a number of guys wrong, not just Ahmed.

He is still just working his way back in, or am I wrong; it seems the injury did set him back. 

Whitecaps need players who can feed and support the midfield and also get forward to find the strikers, we need linking, and of course more serious defending in the middle.

You'd think he'd be a useful piece and improve the team, give it the consistency it needs to not have to even struggle to make playoffs. Which I figure has to be this year's aim.

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He is still just working his way back in, or am I wrong; it seems the injury did set him back. 

Whitecaps need players who can feed and support the midfield and also get forward to find the strikers, we need linking, and of course more serious defending in the middle.

You'd think he'd be a useful piece and improve the team, give it the consistency it needs to not have to even struggle to make playoffs. Which I figure has to be this year's aim.

That was some of it too. He was returning from injury, and it was during Ramadan, so they were limiting his minutes initially to being a second half sub.

But, Vanni also isn't using him in a role that really suits him. The 3-4-3 doesn't give him an ideal spot. Wide in the 4 means there's more end-to-end running (either to join a break out or get back defensively) and that's less his game. They tried him up front in the 3 as well, and that's better but then he's fighting for time there with Picault (who's having a good season), Johnson (who's not as good) and Gauld and White (who he's not dislodging).

59 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

The little I've seen of Ali (about 10 games) makes me think he would be a great #10. Those posters who have seen him more often what do you think?

Personally I think he is more an attacking 8 in a three man midfield where you could have Staq as a 6 and Kone and Ali as 8’s on either side. So no traditional 10 but two players who are very direct and can get forward quickly if needed.  

16 hours ago, gigi riva said:

He should get out of Vancouver he is waisting his time there

I have to strongly disagree. He just broke out last season and was playing regularly. This season has been start and stop because of injury. He needs to get back to his peak levels of last season and keep that form for a consistent period of time. Then he will be ready to push to a higher level.

23 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That was some of it too. He was returning from injury, and it was during Ramadan, so they were limiting his minutes initially to being a second half sub.

I don't know how much different not being in Ramadan fasting will be but the game plan MLS opponents had recently used on him including being quite physical with challenges and fouling.  Sometimes he'd get the call put just as often he did not and his influence would be less.  We'll see if that continues.

I had posted prior to the Uruguay match that an opponent unfamiliar with his deceptive style plays to his advantage.  But once opponents get a substantial dossier on you, especially through playing experience against you, it becomes more challenging to take it to another level.

Edited by BearcatSA

Look, I like Ahmed. I think his ceiling is still high. But man, he needs to quicken some of his decision making. Far to many times right now he's waiting too long to make the play. And frequently the play is the correct one, he's just too slow in making it.  Needs to start staying on his feet as well, because any contact seems to make him go down and they're not calling anything for him. Yellow card tonight was harsh though. 

Edited by Watchmen

• 1 month later...

Why is Ali Ahmed still  at Vancouver Whitecaps? This guy was super impressive in his debut for Canada in the GC and in the Uruguay game. He has incredible 1v1 skills, pace and great vision. Superb playmaker and so calm under pressure. A few times he looked like he lost possession and then regained it. He may be slightly built but he's a strong hombre. 

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Why is Ali Ahmed still  at Vancouver Whitecaps? This guy was super impressive in his debut for Canada in the GC and in the Uruguay game. He has incredible 1v1 skills, pace and great vision. Superb playmaker and so calm under pressure. A few times he looked like he lost possession and then regained it. He may be slightly built but he's a strong hombre. 

Why is he still playing for Vancouver?... Simply put. He needed to play more at the Copa.
With everything you mentioned, he reminds me of a younger Laryea.  His calmness under pressure and ability to make the pass to a scoring opportunity is exceptional.

If we are ranking our wingers when healthy it looks like this for me:

1. Buchanan
2. Shaffelburg
3. Ahmed
4. Laryea
5. Millar

19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Part of the problem is Vancouver doesn't use him like Canada does 

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

Why is he still playing for Vancouver?... Simply put. He needed to play more at the Copa.
With everything you mentioned, he reminds me of a younger Laryea.  His calmness under pressure and ability to make the pass to a scoring opportunity is exceptional.

If we are ranking our wingers when healthy it looks like this for me:

1. Buchanan
2. Shaffelburg
3. Ahmed
4. Laryea
5. Millar

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

Duplicate

Do you think he could play centrally behind a striker?

Edited by Kadenge