Ali Ahmed

toontownman

7 hours ago, Kadenge said:

His 1v1 ability if played centrally as an attacking mid could open things up for David/Larin. Neither of them are strong dribblers and while Kone can do it, Ahmed is definitely a step or two higher. It would also allows us to attack centrally as well as the wings where we start most of our attacks. 

Last year when I watched the caps, he mostly seemed to play centrally as part of a 3 man midfield. He was very effective at running at defenses and getting them back peddling. He always seemed to make something happens. This year it seems to me they have him mostly as a wingback (where he played as youth and with caps II I believe). He seems less effective out there in my opinion.  

it’s kinda the same as Jayden Nelson in my view. He was much more effective inside the last year at TFC than as a winger where he is playing in Norway

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Last year when I watched the caps, he mostly seemed to play centrally as part of a 3 man midfield. He was very effective at running at defenses and getting them back peddling. He always seemed to make something happens. This year it seems to me they have him mostly as a wingback (where he played as youth and with caps II I believe). He seems less effective out there in my opinion. 

That is because the Whitecaps have changed formation from a 3-5-2 to a 3-4-3. His position was essentially eliminated, to the detriment of the team in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For a guy who hadn't gotten any minutes with the #CanMNT for a year, he didn't look bad at all.

Thought he did great. I don't know that I love him down the right. He has looked better, especially on goal playing down the left. Still his first few Canada performances were solid more on the right hand side.

Great to see him get minutes. I think he has a ton of potential.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

This was the only surprising sub of the evening.  I was definitely not expecting it - but Marsch obviously trusts him after seeing him in training.  

Before the game, I was trying to figure out who the sub would be for Tajon. I felt Ali or JRR. JRR plays more central or on the opposite side (Millar side). I figured it would be Ahmed or switch Millar to the other wing

59 minutes ago, narduch said:

Don't think he plays if Buchanan isn't injured.

Marsch doesn't seem to trust his wider bench

Players not to play in Copa: McGill and St Clair (back up keepers, how many Copa teams have played more than one?); Fougerolles, Waterman and Hiebert (most teams don't rotate their CBs if things are going well)' Piette and Choiniere (Choiniere is surprising, to me, with how much Osorio has played); and Bair.

We can all argue about certain bench guys you'd like to see play, but on a 26 man roster guys are going to miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if many other teams have also only played 18 guys or less.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Players not to play in Copa: McGill and St Clair (back up keepers, how many Copa teams have played more than one?); Fougerolles, Waterman and Hiebert (most teams don't rotate their CBs if things are going well)' Piette and Choiniere (Choiniere is surprising, to me, with how much Osorio has played); and Bair.

We can all argue about certain bench guys you'd like to see play, but on a 26 man roster guys are going to miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if many other teams have also only played 18 guys or less.

Choiniere and JRR both surprise me

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Choiniere and JRR both surprise me

JRR came on against Argentina when we needed a goal, really the only time in the tournament that was the case. I wonder if Marsch doesn't trust his defensive work, something Larin, for example, does very well. Tani is the faster option, if we are looking for reasons to prefer one over the other.

JRR was unlucky he was drawn into the Argentinian game with the tough CBs he had to deal with. It would have been nice to see how he matched up against Peru/Chile.

Tani has really taken the chance he has been given and has created chances when he has come on.  He was unfortunate to be offside when he scored in the Chile game.  Against Venezuela, he looked to be a handful, a big body that their CBs seemed to have trouble handling.  

Don’t know if he doesn’t trust his wider bench, I think some of the guys just lack experience and match fitness maybe ?

JRR strikes me at the type that can sub on for David and do some of what he’s done in the holdup and build up. 

Tani is very explosive and I won’t lie his rise is crazy, he looks like he’s got another level.

i think Choiniere might just be lacking that it factor tbh.

Ahmed hasn’t played that much this year I don’t think…

from there I mean you always have your go to guys.

On 7/6/2024 at 5:50 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We needed or at least wanted some offence and he is  a bit Laryea-lite in terms of "streetwise-ness".

In limited viewing from me to be fair.

He is elusive with trickery and a gliding, deceptive pace if an opponent hasn't faced him before but in recent MLS matches they have been getting much more physical with him and it has had an effect.

Here, he's an unknown so that will play into his favour.

On 7/6/2024 at 9:50 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We needed or at least wanted some offence and he is  a bit Laryea-lite in terms of "streetwise-ness".

In limited viewing from me to be fair.

This was my takeaway watching him play at the 2023 Gold Cup. Lot of parallels with Laryea. If stays on this trajectory, he’ll be a very nice piece for years to come.

I think I like him in the role he was used tonight - 2nd half sub to attack players a bit more fatigued, and early enough that there's time to make an impact as a sub (ie not the last 5-10 minutes).

Having said that, if it's Uruguay in the 3rd place match he's not going to hold up well.  They'll muscle him out of the game rather easily.