Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

You would think we didn’t select him because he would be playing somewhere that doesn’t break for international windows? I wonder if his loan somewhere is contingent on that club missing out on a transfer target. Fulham may also just decide he’ll sit on the bench this year and learn. Has he played at all with their youth team yet this season?

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

They did that last season though. If he can hold his own vs Uruguay he's ready to play this yr somewhere.

He is, I just wonder if they figure that he’s young, he’s better off spending a year in the gym and under the close supervision of Fulham’s training staff than riding the bus with some League One team. Hope that’s not the case, but I also don’t think it’s common for a club to wait until the 11th hour to bring on an 18 year old CB on loan. 

I don't see any downside to loaning him out. I wouldn't even care if it was to a non-league side. He doesn't even seem to be playing with the U23s.

P.S  to anyone interested in non-league, I recently discovered a Youtube channel called Location Football which is really good! I highly recommend.

14 minutes ago, spitfire said:

He needs to get out on loan and play senior games. Even to help mature him to be on his own and figure out a few things. I truly believe that .. I’ve seen too many players in epl clubs have their careers ruined by being “just in case” players ..see Ben Woodburn” ..

Totally agree...play 30 competitive pro matches....even League Two....

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

He needs to get out on loan and play senior games. Even to help mature him to be on his own and figure out a few things. I truly believe that .. I’ve seen too many players in epl clubs have their careers ruined by being “just in case” players ..see Ben Woodburn” ..

I sometimes wonder how David Edgar's career might have unfolded if he hadn't spent four years on the bench in the Premiership. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Fougerolles.

He's 18 years old. 18 years old only. 

It seems like he's more than 18 years old. Like 20-25 years or plus. Because he plays like a veteran. So we forget that he's 18 years old.

He was on the preseason 24/25 with Fulham. Travelling and training with them. Like directly after Copa America.

So let him stay with Fulham Academy and Fulham (opportunity may be given to him let's see) during this season 24/25. And when the season 24/25 is over we'll see.

23 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I sometimes wonder how David Edgar's career might have unfolded if he hadn't spent four years on the bench in the Premiership. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Fougerolles.

Didn’t injuries take that over? 

5 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don’t recall the exact timelines any more, but I think the fact that they kept him with the first team instead of sending him out on loan, where he could have had a lot more playing time, greatly limited his development.

Went back to check he may have been fine as long as the info is right

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I wonder if he has picked up an injury or something preventing him from playing. Very surprising he didn't go on loan, then not part of the Canada squad for the Sept window and not playing  for the U21s?

I mean It was nice to see him at Copa America but going forward he really shouldn't be with Canada if he's not playing any pro minutes.

14 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I wonder if he has picked up an injury or something preventing him from playing. Very surprising he didn't go on loan, then not part of the Canada squad for the Sept window and not playing  for the U21s?

Seems pretty inexplicable that he wouldn't go out on loan. Pretty unfortunate for him if he's not going to see any minutes which seems likely.

15 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Saw some Fulham fan suggest that he may have had to take time to catch up on schoolwork since he was out with Canada all summer. I think the premier league academies have some sort of academic requirements or something. IIRC LDF won some student-athlete award a few years back with Fulham? 

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Saw some Fulham fan suggest that he may have had to take time to catch up on schoolwork since he was out with Canada all summer. I think the premier league academies have some sort of academic requirements or something. IIRC LDF won some student-athlete award a few years back with Fulham? 

Probable Reason: School Exams 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I tend to forget how young these guys are. Really wish there was a loan in the summer window

Edited by blueseeka

8 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I tend to forget how young these guys are. Really wish there was a loan in the summer window

From our POV, this kid is the future of our backline, potential star and all that, but what if… it just doesn’t work out? Players at this age need to make sure that they have their schooling locked down in case the worst happens and he’s out of the game by 24. 

If that is indeed the case, I don’t think a few more months playing with the acad and then going out for loan in January would be too bad. I’d imagine some League One teams will have their fair share of injuries or sales and will need a reinforcement. It’s also probably really tough to find a team that is simultaneously playing at an appropriate level, is open to taking in an 18 year old CB, and who will also guarantee him playing time/plenty of starts. You don’t want him going from playing for the Fulham reserves to playing for some other club’s reserves either. 

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

But this is exactly why a loan to a lower level pro league would have been logical this season. Yes he is young but if he is good enough to play at a pro level staying with the U21s will not help. 

There’s a strong argument to be made that staying with the first team to develop can be equally as important as a loan.   

Look at foden not playing for a couple years but training with city. 

training against crap striker who are physical may help ldf transition to a man’s game but would he improve technically or tactically compared to being with Fulham first team. 

obviously game time is important but as an 18 year old, he has time. We always assume you need to play matches but that’s not always the case. If he was 21 and not getting minutes then it’s more urgent to get a loan.