Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think he’s short- he’s still pretty much a kid, so he hasn’t filled out yet. If he puts on muscle like Alistair Johnston did around the time he moved to Celtic, he’s going to look like a pretty big guy. 

He looks to have a good frame, if he can add mass and maintain his pace, he should be a good physical type for centre half.

At the end of the day, he was first rated highly by Fulham as a ball playing defender.  Still needs show that against non-friendly adult opposition but it's a nice trajectory for us.

11 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

All of this is moot.  LDF aint 5'7", 5'9 or even 5'11" anymore unless Sirois and Kone shrunk.

GJUFsSjXgAAXHtv?format=jpg&name=large

And he ain't thin either. 

It's happening boys, we *might* be a year away from a fairly solid and balanced backline.  My baseline for solid at the moment being very reasonable, 2-3 CB's in good teams in the 6-10 range of leagues (i'm putting Championship in there).

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He looks to have a good frame, if he can add mass and maintain his pace, he should be a good physical type for centre half.

At the end of the day, he was first rated highly by Fulham as a ball playing defender.  Still needs show that against non-friendly adult opposition but it's a nice trajectory for us.

It wasn’t much, but he did look very solid against Ipswich in the FA Cup (guess that’s premier league opposition now!). Marsch has so many guys to test out over these next few games, but really hope he gives LDF solid run time in at least one of these games. 

In the picture you posted, it’s interesting that he looks as wide as Piette who I always picture as this super sturdy guy with a wide frame. He puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle, which he will- he’s 18- and I certainly don’t think his size will be an impediment in him hanging in the premier league. 

Also- love that picture in general. Montreal representation, but you have one guy who’s never lived here in LDF, Kone who comes from Cote D’Ivoire, Piette who’s a suburban guy too. Good representation of what the city is. That could damn well be our municipal flag. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It wasn’t much, but he did look very solid against Ipswich in the FA Cup (guess that’s premier league opposition now!). Marsch has so many guys to test out over these next few games, but really hope he gives LDF solid run time in at least one of these games. 

In the picture you posted, it’s interesting that he looks as wide as Piette who I always picture as this super sturdy guy with a wide frame. He puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle, which he will- he’s 18- and I certainly don’t think his size will be an impediment in him hanging in the premier league. 

Also- love that picture in general. Montreal representation, but you have one guy who’s never lived here in LDF, Kone who comes from Cote D’Ivoire, Piette who’s a suburban guy too. Good representation of what the city is. That could damn well be our municipal flag. 

Him breaking out the French in the video after the game and everybody cheering warmed the  cockles of my cynical sporting heart.

We can have our rivalries and disagreements but bringing diverse people together is still something we do okay at in this country.

(Even in semi-rural Alberta, I was watching my nephew play baseball last night and the soccer field next door had hugely diverse teams playing. Lots of different accents and languages.)

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

....he was first rated highly by Fulham as a ball playing defender.  Still needs show that against non-friendly adult opposition but it's a nice trajectory for us.

His ball playing/passing ability is what stood out for me in the Cup game vs Ipswich. Would have to go back and check but he had an incredible pass completion rate for a teen in his first pro game.

58 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Him breaking out the French in the video after the game and everybody cheering warmed the  cockles of my cynical sporting heart.

We can have our rivalries and disagreements but bringing diverse people together is still something we do okay at in this country.

(Even in semi-rural Alberta, I was watching my nephew play baseball last night and the soccer field next door had hugely diverse teams playing. Lots of different accents and languages.)

Just everything about this kid makes me excited as a fan- he sounds so happy to be a part of the group not because he’s an England reject, but because he truly wants to be here. For all the hyphenated Canadians we have, it’s nice to find one where Canadian comes before the hyphen- especially coming from Quebec, there’s always this fear that everyone is one step away from completely losing their culture, so seeing a kid who isn’t even from here represent his ancestry with pride is pretty heart warming. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Charlotte is apparently closing in on a deal for Tim Ream. Would naturally open a spot up that LDF could try and stake a claim for. 

And Adarabioyo is gone, apparently to Chelsea.

The only CB I have seen link with them is Oumar Solet, and the stories are louder elsewhere. 

So Bassey and Diop (who I wouldn't trust) as starters at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

And Adarabioyo is gone, apparently to Chelsea.

The only CB I have seen link with them is Oumar Solet, and the stories are louder elsewhere. 

So Bassey and Diop (who I wouldn't trust) as starters at the moment. 

If fans are to be trusted (as they always are), I think the preference is to sell Palhinha and then go out and shore up the backline with the profits, but as far as an easy pathway to playing legitimate minutes, he’s probably in as close to an ideal scenario. If not as a starter, he’ll definitely be coming off the bench quite a bit you’d have to imagine. 

50 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If fans are to be trusted (as they always are), I think the preference is to sell Palhinha and then go out and shore up the backline with the profits, but as far as an easy pathway to playing legitimate minutes, he’s probably in as close to an ideal scenario. If not as a starter, he’ll definitely be coming off the bench quite a bit you’d have to imagine. 

And to that end, some action in these friendlies and in the Copa America could go a long way in convincing Fulham he's up for the task. He's already a highly rated prospect in their system, and he's been given a small taste last year, but what's needed now is some first team action that simulates what he'd be facing in the Prem. Let's hope he gets time with Canada now and let's hope Fulham are watching. 

The other thing about his minutes next year is his versitility. Can basically play anywhere on the backline, I understand. So again, getting these chances now with Canada, if they come at both FB and CB, it could really help Fulham assess how and where he could be useful. 

54 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If it goes down this way, by 2026 he can easily be locked in at CB.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And to that end, some action in these friendlies and in the Copa America could go a long way in convincing Fulham he's up for the task. He's already a highly rated prospect in their system, and he's been given a small taste last year, but what's needed now is some first team action that simulates what he'd be facing in the Prem. Let's hope he gets time with Canada now and let's hope Fulham are watching. 

The other thing about his minutes next year is his versitility. Can basically play anywhere on the backline, I understand. So again, getting these chances now with Canada, if they come at both FB and CB, it could really help Fulham assess how and where he could be useful. 

By the time Fulham's camp opens up, he'll have been with Canada for about a month, so he'll already be coming in in pretty top form, good to fly out of the gates. Wonder if he can play DM in a pinch too. Feel like from what little I've seen of him, especially that Ipswitch game, he has a lot of transferable skills.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think Canada's 1st U20 match is July 20.

Was also hoping LDF would be doing pre season with the Fullham senior squad

Playing with Fulham's U21 in friendlies would be a waste for him right now. He should  be with Fulham's senior team in pre-season training, with our U20s for Concacaf qualifiers or possibly moving on a loan.

So...

Go with and possibly captain the u20s 

Or 

Stay with the men's team for COPA?

Or 

Both?

The latter is optimal if Fulham will let him. It's unlikely he sees serious minutes at the COPA and the experience would be huge and worth being a part of. 

If it's one or the other, I'm veering towards COPA as the u20s looked surprisingly solid and he would be integrating late into a squad of players that have already been training and playing with each other. 

Do we actually have better players to switch him out with for the full men's side? Waterman of course is the natural switch. Some minutes for LDF at the COPA, even if it's minimal, will surely boost his club career too.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

So...

Go with and possibly captain the u20s 

Or 

Stay with the men's team for COPA?

Or 

Both?

The latter is optimal if Fulham will let him. It's unlikely he sees serious minutes at the COPA and the experience would be huge and worth being a part of. 

If it's one or the other, I'm veering towards COPA as the u20s looked surprisingly solid and he would be integrating late into a squad of players that have already been training and playing with each other. 

Do we actually have better players to switch him out with for the full men's side? Waterman of course is the natural switch. Some minutes for LDF at the COPA, even if it's minimal, will surely boost his club career too.

It's possible Marsch doesn't think he's ready for the senior squad

Interesting to see whether minutes for him at the Copa makes him ours and done - permenantly.

They don't make distinction that it has to be your  “Final tournament of a confederation competition”, that I can find at least.

I guess for context for him to switch to England after 3 years he must have - "77.6 never participated for their current MA in any kind of football at “A” international level in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or a final tournament of a confederation competition."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Interesting to see whether minutes for him at the Copa makes him ours and done - permenantly.

They don't make distinction that it has to be your  “Final tournament of a confederation competition”, that I can find at least.

I guess for context for him to switch England after 3 years he must have - "77.6 never participated for their current MA in any kind of football at “A” international level in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or a final tournament of a confederation competition."

I think the rule would be any official A match, not just in our confederation.