Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

I want to be as optimistic as all of you, but this guy would be insane to commit fully to Canada right now - at this age, in a meaningless match, by an interim coach. Surely this is a "see what camp is all about" thing and nothing more. I will be absolutely shocked if he sees the pitch. 

Edited by canadave

It honestly just sounds like he doesn't want to wait for England. I think it is great. Being a year away from Copa America is probably really enticing for a young player like him. He will have a great chance to play immediately in high level competition. 

I had watched a bunch of his preseason games with Fulham. His composure with the ball provides such a high ceiling. He was the only young player playing with the first team.

I can't wait to see him with Canada. Hopefully plays tomorrow and then back with the team in November.

12 minutes ago, canadave said:

I want to be as optimistic as all of you, but this guy would be insane to commit fully to Canada right now - at this age, in a meaningless match, by an interim coach. Surely this is a "see what camp is all about" thing and nothing more. I will be absolutely shocked if he sees the pitch. 

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

6 minutes ago, canadave said:

That’s the thing - this Japan game doesn’t commit him.  He is till just trying us on, even if he plays.  

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

There's no reason he shouldn't be taking the Jebbison or Koleosho path…

The one thing I will note is that this is a kid who, in theory, could play his way into a starting lineup at the 2026 WC.  And Canada likely won’t be making up the numbers at that one.  We could potentially be naming a team involving peak Davies, David, Buchanan, Staq, Johnston and Kone, with a still effective Larin in the mix.  Throw in the other solid pros like Millar and guys who should have advanced like Nelson, and they can is potentially a very solid, competitive WC team. Not saying we will take England out behind the shed or anything, but for a kid who will be 21, that isn’t a bad prospect.   Unless he is a true phenom, there is a very real chance we could offer him at least 1 or 2 more World Cups than England - and that is if he matures into enough of a world class CB (like McGuire) to make their team.   

All of this is speculation, but for a kid and his handlers who are reading the tea leaves about possible future opportunities, it isn’t like we are still the barren footy wilderness we once were.  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That’s the thing - this Japan game doesn’t commit him.  He is till just trying us on, even if he plays.  

The one thing I will note is that this is a kid who, in theory, could play his way into a starting lineup at the 2026 WC.  And Canada likely won’t be making up the numbers at that one.  We could potentially be naming a team involving peak Davies, David, Buchanan, Staq, Johnston and Kone, with a still effective Larin in the mix.  Throw in the other solid pros like Millar and guys who should have advanced like Nelson, and they can is potentially a very solid, competitive WC team. Not saying we will take England out behind the shed or anything, but for a kid who will be 21, that isn’t a bad prospect.   Unless he is a true phenom, there is a very real chance we could offer him at least 1 or 2 more World Cups than England - and that is if he matures into enough of a world class CB (like McGuire) to make their team.   

All of this is speculation, but for a kid and his handlers who are reading the tea leaves about possible future opportunities, it isn’t like we are still the barren footy wilderness we once were.  

Absolutely, but with these dual nats, I always think of two things- one, which is how much they value playing time vs. hardware; if he can play spot minutes for a team with a shot to win the world cup like england (humour me), is that better than starting for a team with no shot? I don't know how the players feel. The second thing is the fact that I assume these guys all think that they're future stars. I mean, you're 17, holding your own against premier league teams in training, why would you not think that you can be the next Van Dijk? Or at least the next Harry McGuire? The ego and encouragement to think you can be world class is the thing that pushes players to become high level professionals like all of our players are, so I don't know that it's at 17, or I guess as of today 18, that a player like LDF is going to start thinking that well, realistically, he's going to be a premier league player, but not one of the best centre backs in the league, but maybe a pretty solid one instead that could help a middle level team like Canada win some games. Would have to assume the kid and his family and their advisors all think he's the real deal, destined for Champions League glory and £250k/wk wages and all that comes with it. 

We're probably getting way ahead of ourselves, because as you mentioned, this game holds no bearings on his international future and he could as easily go and play for England's youth team next window and never look back just like koleosho did. He's really not very far off from making England's U20s, so if he does commit to us, it's going to be a commitment against all rhyme or reason and would likely demonstrate some major tie he feels to Canada, and that for me is massive. Even Eustaquio who could very well be our captain and was not the prospect LDF is didn't make it known that his intentions were to play for Canada at that age. 

It was around this time that Jean reached out to Biello, then Canada’s men’s national team assistant coach and Under-23 program director, via LinkedIn to let him know of a progressing young player who could play for Canada. Originally hired by Canada Soccer in 2018, Biello oversaw the likes of future star Tajon Buchanan at the 2020 Concacaf Olympic qualifying, among others.  Though de Fougerolles was invited to Canada’s under-20 team’s friendlies in April 2022 against Costa Rica, he contracted COVID-19 the day before he was set to leave. Exams then prevented him from attending Canada’s games at the Concacaf U-20 Championship a few months later.  But Biello maintained regular contact with de Fougerolles. And as Canada’s interim head coach, Biello has given the 17-year-old his first senior team call-up.  “He’s knocking on the door at Fulham,” Biello said.

Kind of crazy, it was his dad that originally reached out to Biello via linkedIn.

50 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

It honestly just sounds like he doesn't want to wait for England. I think it is great. Being a year away from Copa America is probably really enticing for a young player like him. He will have a great chance to play immediately in high level competition. 

I had watched a bunch of his preseason games with Fulham. His composure with the ball provides such a high ceiling. He was the only young player playing with the first team.

I can't wait to see him with Canada. Hopefully plays tomorrow and then back with the team in November.

if he plays tomorrow and both games in november, he will be cap tied right?

2 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

It was around this time that Jean reached out to Biello, then Canada’s men’s national team assistant coach and Under-23 program director, via LinkedIn to let him know of a progressing young player who could play for Canada. Originally hired by Canada Soccer in 2018, Biello oversaw the likes of future star Tajon Buchanan at the 2020 Concacaf Olympic qualifying, among others.  Though de Fougerolles was invited to Canada’s under-20 team’s friendlies in April 2022 against Costa Rica, he contracted COVID-19 the day before he was set to leave. Exams then prevented him from attending Canada’s games at the Concacaf U-20 Championship a few months later.  But Biello maintained regular contact with de Fougerolles. And as Canada’s interim head coach, Biello has given the 17-year-old his first senior team call-up.  “He’s knocking on the door at Fulham,” Biello said.

Kind of crazy, it was his dad that originally reached out to Biello via linkedIn.

If nothing else, the appointment of biello could lead to the recruitment of our best dual national (that we have no business getting - guys like davies were always going to commit).

59 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Agree, he did look good for Fulham in pre season. Normally I would say playing youth footie for England is worth it, but if Biello feels he can either start or get significant mins for Canada and it sounds like he may if he is knocking on Fulham's door then Copa 2024 🤞, a full squad GC 2025 and a WC 2026 is there for him. 

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

No i believe 4 games including friendlies for under 21's. 

But i definitely could be wrong, someone on here will correct me.

I think Mitrovic has now done 4 for Serbia which eliminates him from Canada

You are correct on the 4 games being the threshold so long as one of the 4 games was a competetive game.  I believe you can switch at any time if you've only played friendlies.  In Mitrovic's case, he was lost because he turned 21 this year, meaning any non friendly game would immediately cap tie him.  He has technically only played 2 games for Serbia but because the game he played for Serbia last month was a Euro Qualifier and he is over the age of 21, he is tied to Serbia for life now.  If he was still 20, then he would still be eligible for Canada, albeit he would have to wait for 3 more years to switch.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

if he plays tomorrow and both games in november, he will be cap tied right?

No, he would need a 4th game.  He is able to play up to 3 games before becoming ineligible with the 4th game.  If he plays this week, I believe he would have to file a one time switch to England but he would be able to play for them effective immediately.  If he was to play this week and the qualifiers next month, he would still be eligible for England but he would essentially need to wait 3 years until he was 21 years and a month old.

I hope I got that right 😅

Edited by Corazon

Personally, I think he will play, maybe not start.  He seems committed which is great.  I am super excited about him as what I have seen I have been very impressed. He is small though so he will need to be paired with larger defenders or we will be murdered in the air. Good thing is Japan is small so likely won’t impact us against them but will against sides with taller attacking players. How tall is Stefanovic again? 6’2”?  Which if you played those two in a back 3, you will still need a Cornelius or so on the left to add some height. Maybe Bombito is a possible as well.

"It was never the plan to have him play, we wanted to have him train with the boys and get to know the group, he had a great time, and if he ever wants to come back, he's more than welcome to come. Great attitude in camp, mature beyond his years, we're looking forward to staying in touch and watching him develop, he has a wonderful career ahead of him"

That's gonna be the statement, right?

49 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

"It was never the plan to have him play, we wanted to have him train with the boys and get to know the group, he had a great time, and if he ever wants to come back, he's more than welcome to come. Great attitude in camp, mature beyond his years, we're looking forward to staying in touch and watching him develop, he has a wonderful career ahead of him"

That's gonna be the statement, right?

Probably accurate.  Hope fans aren't upset with him not playing; it's the logical move on his part at this point.  Glad he was there tho.

13 hours ago, An Observer said:

Personally, I think he will play, maybe not start.  He seems committed which is great.  I am super excited about him as what I have seen I have been very impressed. He is small though so he will need to be paired with larger defenders or we will be murdered in the air. Good thing is Japan is small so likely won’t impact us against them but will against sides with taller attacking players. How tall is Stefanovic again? 6’2”?  Which if you played those two in a back 3, you will still need a Cornelius or so on the left to add some height. Maybe Bombito is a possible as well.

We play kamal (6'), cornlelius 6' 2" and johnston 5' 11" today

Cornelius stefanovic 6' 2" LDF 5' 11" would be 2" more in the back line. 

9 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Honestly, looked like Biello was worried about his future being down 3-0 at half. Highly doubt the plan was to bring in Vitoria at half and remove Cornelius.

Herdman also almost never played new players in their first camp.

Hopefully, he is in the November camp

Delete

Edited by Obinna
misunderstood

On 10/12/2023 at 2:03 PM, Kadenge said:

Agree, he did look good for Fulham in pre season. Normally I would say playing youth footie for England is worth it, but if Biello feels he can either start or get significant mins for Canada and it sounds like he may if he is knocking on Fulham's door then Copa 2024 🤞, a full squad GC 2025 and a WC 2026 is there for him. 

If he's on the fence, I don't think a GC invite is what would move him off of it. But a Copa invite probably would.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Did the "insiders" on One Soccer give any explanation as to why LDF did not see the field vs Japan?

I still can't believe we didn't find a way to cap him. Was it really more important for Brym to get a run out?

I know he is often the whipping boy and sometimes it's not deserved, but if we can be frank we are talking about a player who at best can grow into a first option off the bench type of role. Wth LDF we are potentially looking at a starter for the next decade in a position we need help with.

Why we never invested in LDF in Japan is beyond me.