Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

30 minutes ago, costarg said:

Funny, just yesterday people were saying our best option was to stick with what's been "working": Miller Vitoria and Johnston.  Crazy how much reality and common sense hits in 24 hours.  

Welcome aboard the change train guys!  Don't let the door hit you on the way in.

I think youre quoting me and taking my stance out of context. I said that theres no evidence in CONCACAF to suggest that 3 atb and our current back 3 isnt working given that all our concacaf results are on par with expectations. Thats still the case as our results show. 

However, I also was the one who claimed LDF getting on the bench for fulham (even against critics of sitting on the bench like smith means nothing) instantly propelled him into one of our best CB's, let alone playing 90 for fulham.  

Changing our current back 3 for LDF is 100% what everyone wants. Changing our back 3 for waterman/LMN/zator/heibert reduces our quality. 

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I really feel that if we get LDF and Jebbo when he gets fit,  it will be a turning point for duals, a bit like the time Akindele opted for Canada but at a higher level. 

imagine we get kolo, sigur and sali. 

davies JKL LDF Johnston
kone sigur/sali staq
kolo david buchanan

He was solid today. Only criticisms I have is that he misread a couple long straight balls and sometimes he passed it to his fullback in a situation where the fullback had no option available, leading to a turnover. Overall he is smart in his passing, solid in positioning, and willing to follow his man forward. Looks to be a decent defender in space. My favourite attribute is how he makes himself available as a passing option for his midfielders by stepping forward, past the pressing opposition striker.

If I am to compare him to his partner today (Calvin Bassey), LDF is a much better footballer. Bassey doesn't impress me one bit.

Just my opinion on what I saw focussing on him instead of the rest of the game this eve

Short review - Solid to supreme 78 mins, then misjudged a header and Ipswich scored from resulting corner. At that point he seemed a bit shaky. But looked good and certainly would have been Ipswich’s best centre half. Played right side CB and at points looked no lesser than his partner who cost 20 mil this summer. Marshalled the back line well and stepped up effectively to get a few offside calls

Bit more in depth

1st half he took maybe 10 mins to get more comfortable with the game. Ipswich played 1 up top (Ladapo who is a big unit), and Ladapo put himself on LDF from pretty early on. LDF didn’t necessarily lose any duels but was a bit shaky in the air.

Grew into himself as half wore on, definitely has a good positional side to his game although I think he was playing 5-10 yards too deep when Fulham had the ball and often the defensive mid ended up playing in the space LDF should have been in. Only other thing was his body shape was a bit closed when he received the ball, usually kept coming back to the left.

He bundled through Ladapo a couple times, played him touch tight but didn’t get rolled. Thought he marked him really well

2nd half

LDF was a beast for 30 mins of it. He clearly had gained a lot of confidence and he ran past his marker a couple times (also had a run or two breaking through the lines), as well as playing more comfortably with the ball. His passes were always crisp and composed but he was more relaxed, opening his body up and varying the options he used more. One in particular was a one touch pass straight up through 3 Ipswich players to his midfielder that set up an attack.

His positioning in general looked great, read the game very well and constantly adjusted himself accordingly. He also played slightly higher when Fulham were in possession this half.

Immediately from kick off after Fulham’s 3rd Ipswich lumped it forward, LDF went to head it clear but misjudged and Ipswich won a corner that they scored from. Think this knocked his confidence as he then looked a bit shaky but to be honest he was still fairly solid.

Thought it was a great debut and he holds a lot of promise

In the picture he’s in the centre circle organising things

IMG_0283.jpeg

Edited by Brethers8

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I think youre quoting me and taking my stance out of context. I said that theres no evidence in CONCACAF to suggest that 3 atb and our current back 3 isnt working given that all our concacaf results are on par with expectations. Thats still the case as our results show. 

However, I also was the one who claimed LDF getting on the bench for fulham (even against critics of sitting on the bench like smith means nothing) instantly propelled him into one of our best CB's, let alone playing 90 for fulham.  

Changing our current back 3 for LDF is 100% what everyone wants. Changing our back 3 for waterman/LMN/zator/heibert reduces our quality. 

Wasn't meant for anyone in particular, nothing personal or malicious, I don't keep score here.  You contribute great stuff and we're aligned on lots of ideas.  Even when I'm not aligned with others, it's never personal.  I'm just glad we all enjoy ourselves here.

Lots of us still think the solution is Miller - Vitoria - Johnston with Borjan and Osorio in the 11.  I'm not one of them, but I'll be glad to be proved wrong.

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

Does anyone think he could genuinely get minutes in the next few windows? 

I'm thinking Kone, but does he have that much potential that he would bypass Vitoria, McGraw, Bombito, Waterman, and Zator in that RCB depth chart?

Next window, maybe not. Next few? I sure hope so. Kids too important to let slip.

As for the second question, it doesn’t really feel like that high of a bar for him to get over, and I’m not even sure it’s ‘potential’ based vs readiness based anymore. 

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

I'm thinking Kone, but does he have that much potential that he would bypass Vitoria, McGraw, Bombito, Waterman, and Zator in that RCB depth chart?

That isnt a great list. Waterman and Zator aren't even really in the mix. Bombito is a upside hope (even though he is almost 24 now). Vitoria and McGraw are both slow footed. Hoping McGraw gets a real shot versus Jamaica instead of Votoria (but doubtful it happens).

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Depends how you choose to look at it.  The kid just turned 18, like 2 weeks ago and he's in the EPL.  No one on your list ever has or ever will come close to EPL in their best year.  Odds are very good that comparing him to an over the hill Vitoria is insulting and we'll feel pretty foolish ever having even considered that.

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

That isnt a great list. Waterman and Zator aren't even really in the mix. Bombito is a upside hope (even though he is almost 24 now). Vitoria and McGraw are both slow footed. Hoping McGraw gets a real shot versus Jamaica instead of Votoria (but doubtful it happens).

People complain about Bombito at 24 being old, Guys Like Franco  Baresi and  Fabio Cannavarro became dominate CBs when they where in there late 20s . 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Thank you Fulham Football Club for using the correct flag emoji here:

https://x.com/fulhamfc/status/1720023623438651821?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Look, I still don’t have a premier league team, so commit to us and I’ll be a Fulham fan for life

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Thank you Fulham Football Club for using the correct flag emoji here:

https://x.com/fulhamfc/status/1720023623438651821?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Look, I still don’t have a premier league team, so commit to us and I’ll be a Fulham fan for life

"Fig Rolls" (ie. a better version of Fig Newtons) seems to be  the nickname the creative London supporters have given him.

13 hours ago, costarg said:

Wasn't meant for anyone in particular, nothing personal or malicious, I don't keep score here.  You contribute great stuff and we're aligned on lots of ideas.  Even when I'm not aligned with others, it's never personal.  I'm just glad we all enjoy ourselves here.

Lots of us still think the solution is Miller - Vitoria - Johnston with Borjan and Osorio in the 11.  I'm not one of them, but I'll be glad to be proved wrong.

I love the discussion and disagreements on this board so I dont take it personal either and didnt mean to come across as taking it personal. 

I just meant that I specifically responded earlier to you to make the claim that our back 3 is working with those guys.  I just wanted to clarify (and I think anyone who agrees that its "working" would also agree) that we may view the M-V-AJ backline as the best possible solution (with a strong argument for cornelius) UNLESS LDF or JKL enter the depth charts. I'd hypothetically be ok-ish with bombito or kennedy but I dont want to see any of our other CB's get minutes against jamaica.