I think the Canadian National Team's success is tied to the US National team success. Do you also cheer for the US National Team to do well?

Not to give too much credit to sports executives, but the fact that the MLS has not only stayed in business for this long but is still in full growth mode is nothing short of a miracle. For soccer talent, the league competes with multiple leagues that are over a century old in countries with soccer culture as old and storied as our oldest leagues. For audience, they’re competing with the four biggest leagues on earth domestically, with a North American culture that has lagged far behind the rest of the world in terms of soccer. Despite that, they’ve grown the MLS to 30 teams, the teams with the highest attendance compete with the biggest teams on the planet, the league is sending great young talent to Europe and taking great young talent from Europe to develop, and early days, but the European stars are starting to come here younger and younger- Toronto’s Italians are not 35 year old has been, and if/when Messi joins Miami, he’ll still have great offers with top European clubs to consider, so it’s not like he’ll be washed. 

MLS gifted us Alphonso Davies. Sure he could’ve left Edmonton straight for Europe like Jonathan David did, but does he get to Bayern Munich this quickly without playing for VWC? Doubt it. 

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not to give too much credit to sports executives, but the fact that the MLS has not only stayed in business for this long but is still in full growth mode is nothing short of a miracle. For soccer talent, the league competes with multiple leagues that are over a century old in countries with soccer culture as old and storied as our oldest leagues. For audience, they’re competing with the four biggest leagues on earth domestically, with a North American culture that has lagged far behind the rest of the world in terms of soccer. Despite that, they’ve grown the MLS to 30 teams, the teams with the highest attendance compete with the biggest teams on the planet, the league is sending great young talent to Europe and taking great young talent from Europe to develop, and early days, but the European stars are starting to come here younger and younger- Toronto’s Italians are not 35 year old has been, and if/when Messi joins Miami, he’ll still have great offers with top European clubs to consider, so it’s not like he’ll be washed. 

MLS gifted us Alphonso Davies. Sure he could’ve left Edmonton straight for Europe like Jonathan David did, but does he get to Bayern Munich this quickly without playing for VWC? Doubt it. 

MLS is starting to catch up to MLB in popularity . I am sure in some markets it has over passed MLB

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

MLS is starting to catch up to MLB in popularity . I am sure in some markets it has over passed MLB

I think there will be an inflection point when MLS starts to surpass Liga MX, where MLS will receive a huge boost in Mexican American soccer fans.  From what I understand, some Mexican Americans are still rather snobbish and refuse to watch MLS, watching Liga MX instead (of course, there are some Mexican Americans that may watch both MLS and Liga MX).  But if the quality of MLS surpasses Liga MX, to the point where even the snobbish Mexican American Liga MX fans agree that MLS is better, I think that will be a huge inflection point for MLS (for curiosity, I found this Reddit thread here of what Liga MX fans think of MLS).  At that point, there may even be a lot of Mexicans in Mexico that watch MLS, because they think MLS is better, and because a lot of top Mexicans are playing in MLS.

Once the overwhelming majority of Mexican Americans tune into MLS, and even some Mexicans in Mexico start tuning into MLS, I can see MLS getting a huge boost in TV viewership and TV revenue, and MLS will be catapulted in the direction of challenging Series A or Ligue 1 in revenue next.

Edited by football_world

3 hours ago, football_world said:

I think there will be an inflection point when MLS starts to surpass Liga MX, where MLS will receive a huge boost in Mexican American soccer fans.  From what I understand, some Mexican Americans are still rather snobbish and refuse to watch MLS, watching Liga MX instead (of course, there are some Mexican Americans that may watch both MLS and Liga MX).  But if the quality of MLS surpasses Liga MX, to the point where even the snobbish Mexican American Liga MX fans agree that MLS is better, I think that will be a huge inflection point for MLS (for curiosity, I found this Reddit thread here of what Liga MX fans think of MLS).  At that point, there may even be a lot of Mexicans in Mexico that watch MLS, because they think MLS is better, and because a lot of top Mexicans are playing in MLS.

Once the overwhelming majority of Mexican Americans tune into MLS, and even some Mexicans in Mexico start tuning into MLS, I can see MLS getting a huge boost in TV viewership and TV revenue, and MLS will be catapulted in the direction of challenging Series A or Ligue 1 in revenue next.

As long as they have those gimmick salary rules, Liga MX will stay a better quality league overall with top clubs having the mean to spend however they want. It shows when you compare both league's depth

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

As long as they have those gimmick salary rules, Liga MX will stay a better quality league overall with top clubs having the mean to spend however they want. It shows when you compare both league's depth

I just did a quick check of team salaries. Here are the top team salaries for MLS: https://www.capology.com/us/mls/payrolls/ (check the Gross P/Y column). Here are the top team salaries for Liga MX: https://www.capology.com/mx/liga-mx/payrolls/.

Seems like the top teams in MLS have a comparable team salary to Liga MX.  But this is probably because MLS spends more money on the DPs, whereas the non-DPs aren't paid as well.  But still, for the total team salary, if you factor in the DPs, MLS is spending as much as Liga MX. In the case of Toronto FC, they are spending more money than any Liga MX team.

Edited by football_world

28 minutes ago, football_world said:

I just did a quick check of team salaries. Here are the top team salaries for MLS: https://www.capology.com/us/mls/payrolls/ (check the Gross P/Y column). Here are the top team salaries for Liga MX: https://www.capology.com/mx/liga-mx/payrolls/.

Seems like the top teams in MLS have a comparable team salary to Liga MX.  But this is probably because MLS spends more money on the DPs, whereas the non-DPs aren't paid as well.  But still, for the total team salary, if you factor in the DPs, MLS is spending as much as Liga MX. In the case of Toronto FC, they are spending more money than any Liga MX team.

Which league has more "bang for the buck"? MLS overpays for talent. At the level they are spending, the quality should be much higher and it isn't.

1 CCL win doesn't mean they are close to surpass Liga MX, they need to do it consistently and repeat. Possible but I don't see it in the short term

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

Which league has more "bang for the buck"? MLS overpays for talent. At the level they are spending, the quality should be much higher and it isn't.

1 CCL win doesn't mean they are close to surpass Liga MX, they need to do it consistently and repeat. Possible but I don't see it in the short term

You could say MLS hs more bang for the buck , Majority of Liga Mx teams have bigger salaries  compared to  MLS teams 

50 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

You could say MLS hs more bang for the buck , Majority of Liga Mx teams have bigger salaries  compared to  MLS teams 

Yet MLS will go to the Club World Cup for the 1st time after how many CCL? (an they, Liga MX clubs, were competitive against UEFA & CONMEBOL)

At some point, results matters

Edited by Ansem

My post WC take on the question posed by this thread... in a word... NO!

The tldr:

I think in the past our success was tied to the USA's success because MLS as a league benefited when the USMNT, and USMNT success was good for CONCACAF's global respect and generally upped the level of play. The MLS is also the league that I think has done the most for raising the level of play in CONCACAF in general.

At this point I think MLS, CONCACAF nations, the CMNT and our domestic player pathways, have all progressed to a point where they will do well irrespective of the performance of the USMNT. This transition happened between 5-3 years ago. First, the USMNT failed to make the last world cup, and the MLS did not really suffer, salary caps, level of play and viewership continued to increase. The league was no less attractive to foreign talent and foreign buyers of talent. About the same time Canadian players started to count as domestic for USA MLS clubs (albeit with some annoying and very typically MLS caveats). Then we got our own league, and improbably it seems to be thriving. And finally, we surpassed them in WCQ, and have emerged alongside the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica as a powerhouse in CONCACAF.

So no, now our success does not depend on theirs.

On 12/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, Ansem said:

Yet MLS will go to the Club World Cup for the 1st time after how many CCL? (an they, Liga MX clubs, were competitive against UEFA & CONMEBOL)

At some point, results matters

Comparing the Two leagues is kind of redundant. MLS is not even 30 years old , While  Liga MX is much much older, Grfant you since I first started following MLS in 2007  The league has grown leaps and bounds