I think the Canadian National Team's success is tied to the US National team success. Do you also cheer for the US National Team to do well?

On 4/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, football_world said:

So you are saying Blatter demanded the creation of the CPL for Canada to co-host the World Cup with the US and Mexico? ...

A lot of myths get peddled on here. Blatter exited FIFA in disgrace in 2015. The joint bid and CanPL emerged in 2017. I doubt his role was in any way pivotal. A fully professional national league is something the CSA have wanted for decades.

7 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Late to this thread, but got to say I agree @football_world's premise that there is a positive feedback loop between the success of the USMNT and success and level of play in MLS, and that a better MLS is good for Canadian footie.

I would acknowledge MLS is an America first league, and the Canadian teams and players are often second class citizens but the above remains true, and I don't think being a partisan CMNT fan is mutually exclusive with recognizing that we don't exist on an island and sometimes what's good for other teams can be good for us as well.

By the same token I am a fan of improvement of the level of other CONCACAF  national teams and the CONCACAF Champions league. Again I feel like these are tides that raise all boats, including and most importantly our own.

I also generally cheer for (most) CONCACAF teams to do well against national teams from other confederations because I think it enhances the reputation of CONCACAF generally, which ultimately is good for Canadian footie, and provides more opportunities for Canadian players abroad. Except Honduras... F@#% Honduras!

That's what I was looking for.

• 7 months later...

So I am glad we made it back to the World Cup, although we fell short in this World Cup of qualifying to the playoff round.

Having said that, I will be cheering for the US to do well today against the Netherlands.  The US making the playoff round received very positive media coverage.  I can only hope that the MLS getting more popular in the US will benefit us (and IMO, the rise of MLS in the US has benefited us greatly).

One day, when Canada wins the World Cup, I no longer have to root for the US to do well. But until that day arrives, I am silently cheering for the US to do well, because we just benefit from them doing well in soccer, in the long term.

Edited by football_world

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Can't cheer for them, sorry.

Tough one.  It always frustrated me when I was younger and things and people tried to make being "not-American" a part of our culture.  So I try not to reject American things out of hand.  And there are all the CONCACAF benefits.

But....stupid whatifs say it could have been us there.  

15 hours ago, football_world said:

So I am glad we made it back to the World Cup, although we fell short in this World Cup of qualifying to the playoff round.

Having said that, I will be cheering for the US to do well today against the Netherlands.  The US making the playoff round received very positive media coverage.  I can only hope that the MLS getting more popular in the US will benefit us (and IMO, the rise of MLS in the US has benefited us greatly).

One day, when Canada wins the World Cup, I no longer have to root for the US to do well. But until that day arrives, I am silently cheering for the US to do well, because we just benefit from them doing well in soccer, in the long term.

Sorry for your loss today. 

I dont have a hate for Americans as a whole met many in my day and have nothing but good experiences with them , I do depise there arrogance and how they  think they are the be in and be all of society. Ive always cheered against them  no matter the sport  and no matter who they play.  

As far as Soccer goes I always thought the Americans always got away with a lot of crap especially during  CONCACAF play whether it was WC Qualifying , or Gold Cup play and it just pissses me off,  ( Dont get started on there Womens Team and there utter arrogance)  And when we beat them in Toronto in 2019 and hearing the F- The USA chants  is still m y favourite monet at BMO Field. 

Another thing that kind of bugs me is When Im listening to BBC or Talksport in the UK  and when they bring up 2026  they always say Its coming to America , almost ignoring the fact that Mexico and Canada are in invoved to(  Especially that pompus ass Piers Morgan who has got to be the biggest Twat in the UK up there with Boris Johnson, and Nigel Farage) . Its like we do not count .

1 hour ago, JBR said:

Sorry for your loss today. 

I'm Canadian 🤣 . I don't have an American passport or anything, so it was their loss, not mine 🤣

Having said that, MLS's success is integral to the growth of the Canadian National team.  And the success of MLS is also tied to the success of the US National team.

As I cited before, in this article on how MLS almost went bankrupt, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/12/mls-folded-for-a-few-days-in-2001-and-somehow-kept-it-a-secret-until-now/, the US making the quarter finals in the 2002 World Cup was one factor that saved MLS from bankruptcy.  

For better or worse, the success of MLS is partially tied to the success of the US national team, IMO.

Edited by football_world

If it were not for MLS we are not playing in Qatar end of story. I know people here like to rag on TFC  and I will admit  it is sometimes justified, but they in a way  saved MLS  and along with David Beckham who arrived at the same time gave it some credibility on a wider scale. They changed the whole fan culture of Soccer here in North America.  And when they played Montreal  in maybe the best playoff games in MLS history it also got peoples attention accross this nation and I understand both TSN and RDS had massive ratings . 

Instead of worrying about the Americans we should  concentate on our selves and continue to improve and support our local CPL, League 1 , and MLS team. and lets not forget about  the CMNT and the CWNT too

3 hours ago, football_world said:

I'm Canadian 🤣 . I don't have an American passport or anything, so it was their loss, not mine 🤣

Having said that, MLS's success is integral to the growth of the Canadian National team.  And the success of MLS is also tied to the success of the US National team.

As I cited before, in this article on how MLS almost went bankrupt, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/12/mls-folded-for-a-few-days-in-2001-and-somehow-kept-it-a-secret-until-now/, the US making the quarter finals in the 2002 World Cup was one factor that saved MLS from bankruptcy.  

For better or worse, the success of MLS is partially tied to the success of the US national team, IMO.

And Canada too 

4 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

If it were not for MLS we are not playing in Qatar end of story. I know people here like to rag on TFC  and I will admit  it is sometimes justified, but they in a way  saved MLS  and along with David Beckham who arrived at the same time gave it some credibility on a wider scale. They changed the whole fan culture of Soccer here in North America.  And when they played Montreal  in maybe the best playoff games in MLS history it also got peoples attention accross this nation and I understand both TSN and RDS had massive ratings . 

Instead of worrying about the Americans we should  concentate on our selves and continue to improve and support our local CPL, League 1 , and MLS team. and lets not forget about  the CMNT and the CWNT too

Yup.

I also want to mention that I think the CPL owners saw the resurgence of soccer in US & Canada, especially the success of soccer in MLS at the Canadian cities, before they embarked on creating the CPL. 

Do we have the creation of the CPL without the success of MLS in Canada, and without the general resurgence of soccer US & Canada? I don't think so.

3 hours ago, football_world said:

Yup.

I also want to mention that I think the CPL owners saw the resurgence of soccer in US & Canada, especially the success of soccer in MLS at the Canadian cities, before they embarked on creating the CPL. 

Do we have the creation of the CPL without the success of MLS in Canada, and without the general resurgence of soccer US & Canada? I don't think so.

Damned right 

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Is this some kind of schizo sock puppet...2 sides of one guys personality arguing with themselves???  I love mls....my precious...no wese hates the tricksy garber and the unfair roster rules.....yes the complicated roster rules.....my precious.......

Don Garber is a bit a doush but I honestly think he gives a crap about the Canadian Franchises more so than  Gary Betmann doe with the Canaiadian teams in the NHL 

7 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Don Garber is a bit a doush but I honestly think he gives a crap about the Canadian Franchises more so than  Gary Betmann doe with the Canaiadian teams in the NHL 

I will say one thing about Garber, in that he did a good job to help keep the MLS from becoming bankrupt in the early 2000s. He did a good job with the owners at that time when the MLS was facing bankruptcy, and has grown the MLS to what it is today. When I look at the cities he picked to expand the MLS in the mid 2000s, which was the most crucial period to expanding the MLS to keep the MLS afloat, he picked pretty good cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_Major_League_Soccer

Salt Lake City, relocating to Houston (and forcing San Jose to come up with a soccer specific stadium before MLS returned there), Toronto, returning to San Jose, and then expanding to Seattle, were genius moves. The only move that didn't pan out was Chivas USA.

In particular, expanding to Toronto and Seattle really set the trajectory of the MLS upwards and gave momentum to MLS, and IMO, Toronto and Seattle have been 2 of the MLS's best expansions, IMO.  I remember Toronto FC paid an expansion fee of $10 million USD dollars to join the MLS, around 2005/2006.  In hindsight, a $10 million USD expansion fee was dirt cheap to join the MLS.  But that was the state of the MLS back in 2005/2006, a league that just avoided bankruptcy.

Now, MLS is thriving today and Toronto FC is worth way, way, more than $10 million USD.  Charlotte last paid $325 million USD to join MLS, way more than the $10 million USD that Toronto paid back in 2005/2006, even if you take into account inflation since 2005/2006.

Prior to Toronto FC joining MLS, I never imagined 20K Canadian fans would routinely pack a stadium game after game for the entire season, and season tickets for a soccer team in Canada would sell out year, after year.  But then it happened. Good on Toronto fans for helping to kickstart a resurgence of soccer in Canada.

Edited by football_world