Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

7 hours ago, tminit said:

Interesting that the Uruguay game is now being played in Slovakia. Now to wait to see if tickets go on sale. Would love to go see it. Unfortunately I can’t imagine too many Canadians will be coming for the match. 

I'm planning on going. We are in Vienna already and its a 1 hour direct train to Bratislava. I've sent them a message re: tickets. If it's like the Qatar game at Generali Arena, they will be public but walk up tickets only (no online) The stadium holds 30,000 people but my guess is that only see about 2000 fans if that there though.

26 minutes ago, Sadiq Husain said:

I'm planning on going. We are in Vienna already and its a 1 hour direct train to Bratislava. I've sent them a message re: tickets. If it's like the Qatar game at Generali Arena, they will be public but walk up tickets only (no online) The stadium holds 30,000 people but my guess is that only see about 2000 fans if that there though.

Due to a Prior Commitment. I won't be in Veinna for the Qatar. A bit disapointed the Uruguay match is in Slovakia but happy that Bratislava is not far away by train. If I can get a train over and back in to Vienna after the match. I will definitely head to Bratislava.

22 minutes ago, N-A said:

Due to a Prior Commitment. I won't be in Veinna for the Qatar. A bit disapointed the Uruguay match is in Slovakia but happy that Bratislava is not far away by train. If I can get a train over and back in to Vienna after the match. I will definitely head to Bratislava.

Last train back to Vienna is 11:15pm, so doable if kickoff is 7pm.

The main train station in Bratislava in an experience in itself. :D 

That being said, the 11:15pm train does not leave from the main station.  It leaves from Bratislava-Petrzalka which is on the soutern part of the city and not close at all to the stadium.  The 10:37pm train leaves from the main station.   The stadium is not a long walk from the train station.

If someone is going to the game in Bratislava, it is probably easier just to find some hotel.  Bratislava is easier for me to reach than Vienna but I don't think I can make it because of work.

This is a good website for trains/buses in Slovakia.

https://idos.idnes.cz/en/vlakyautobusymhdvse/spojeni/

Edited by Buchta

11 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Ranked 24 in the world, that’s a pretty solid opponent right before the WC. Now that it’s all announced, Uruguay, Qatar, and Japan is pretty decent prep.

I'm a huge Japan fan, but I'm not sold that playing them will be good prep for us, other than stretching out the legs a bit.  They don't play like any team in our group, and for that matter, neither do Uruguay and Qatar (although I think the latter plays somewhat like Morocco from my limited observation).  Still, better than no prep or low prep I guess.

57 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I'm a huge Japan fan, but I'm not sold that playing them will be good prep for us, other than stretching out the legs a bit.  They don't play like any team in our group, and for that matter, neither do Uruguay and Qatar (although I think the latter plays somewhat like Morocco from my limited observation).  Still, better than no prep or low prep I guess.

It is clearly prep for the first round of the knock out.  If they manage to get out of the group stage like we will, there's a 50% change we'd face them in the round of 16.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

It is clearly prep for the first round of the knock out.  If they manage to get out of the group stage like we will, there's a 50% change we'd face them in the round of 16.

You think Japan will advance past the group stage over Spain and/or Germany? I mean it's possible but where did you get that 50% chance from lol. 

Emailed Events at Franz Horr Stadium. Below is their reply.

Hi again,

1) 19:00 local time

2) there are no informations at the moment. I think something between 10 and 20 euros.

Kind regards

See you in Vienna.

Simon

Von: Sadiq Husain
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 8. September 2022 19:23
An: events <events@fk-austria.at>
Betreff: RE: Tickets Canada v Qatar World Cup Friendly

Thank-you!

2 more question.

1)      Do you know the local kick-off time?

2)      What do the tickets cost?

Thanks again, you’ve been very helpful for all of us travelling Canadian fans!

Edited by Sadiq Husain
Correction

The guys I would take to these matches,   if I were the coach

Borjan

Crepeau

Layrea

Johnston

Victoria 

Miller 

Adekugbe

Piette

Hutchinson

Eustaquio

Hoilett

Buchanan

Millar

Osorio

David

Davids

Larin

Cavallini

Mitrovic. The bolter 

19 players

Then 16 more for a final assesment

Thomas

StClair

Sturing

Henry

Kennedy

Waterman

Cornelius

Kaye

Choiniere

Teibert

Fraser

Wotherspoon

Shaffelburg

Curbeanu

Ukbo

Colyn

Edited by JAVIERF

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

It would be great to see the 35 man preliminary roster like other Nations release.  But I’m sure we’ll find out 5 days before who the 24 players are plus Campagna.

I think Frank Sturing will be the Campagna of this window.

Campagna has CPL now and Sturing is already in Austria and can play all over the back line and in several midfield roles too.

41 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think Frank Sturing will be the Campagna of this window.

Campagna has CPL now and Sturing is already in Austria and can play all over the back line and in several midfield roles too.

Although it wouldn't be justified for this season to date, I would rather Justin Smith be in that "Campagna" role given his upside.  What we saw from him with the U20's justifies it for me.  If you want to nurture a Canadian youth international, make it Smith.  It also rewards him for his individual strong performances in an underwhelming team tournament.

Plus Smith can play CB & CM so he is similarly versatile like Sturing.

Edited by Corazon

8 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I may be missing something but what’s this talk about campagna? Do we know he’s on the roster or something?

No, it was a sarcastic remark I made with two parts to it.

1) frustration that Herdman always calls the bare minimum.

2) Herdman brought Campagna to all World Cup Qualifiers, essentially as a practice player.  Which I’ve always thought was strange that the body couldn’t have been used as another player for our roster.

@Olympique_de_Marseillechimed in that he thinks Sturing will be “that guy” on our roster this time around because it’s in Europe and not North America.