Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Start placing your bets!!!😁

Herdman's the type of guy who would hire a full team of statisticians, break down every single second of the last 10 games each team played, and use statistics to determine exactly where each team's weaknesses are and predict their every move.   

Now obviously, there's only so much analysis one can do before the limiting factor becomes the quality of your own players. But we are not to be reckoned with in Qatar.  

Also side note, the other day I had a dream where Canada beat Belgium 2-1 in that first match LOL.

38 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Herdman's the type of guy who would hire a full team of statisticians, break down every single second of the last 10 games each team played, and use statistics to determine exactly where each team's weaknesses are and predict their every move.   

Now obviously, there's only so much analysis one can do before the limiting factor becomes the quality of your own players. But we are not to be reckoned with in Qatar.  

Also side note, the other day I had a dream where Canada beat Belgium 2-1 in that first match LOL.

I think the expression is we are to be reckoned with....in Qatar.

As for your dream, I have one question for you before I sell my home and "invest" the money on the CMNT. Have you ever had a prophetic dream? Mind you, they are very rare even for people who have them. I'm one who has them and I've only had a half dozen my whole life so it's a conundrum to figure out when it's a prophetic one and when it's the chili you ate.

I think we're better off going with @MtlMario's crystal ball.

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I think the expression is we are to be reckoned with....in Qatar.

As for your dream, I have one question for you before I sell my home and "invest" the money on the CMNT. Have you ever had a prophetic dream? Mind you, they are very rare even for people who have them. I'm one who has them and I've only had a half dozen my whole life so it's a conundrum to figure out when it's a prophetic one and when it's the chili you ate.

I think we're better off going with @MtlMario's crystal ball.

I know what you're talking about lol. I knew a guy like this. He'd once in a while dream of something and it ends up happening in real life... weird as hell. But no, I don't have a history of those dreams. Literally the dream was me viewing the Canada vs Belgium score on Google. No actual gameplay footage LOL.

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

I know what you're talking about lol. I knew a guy like this. He'd once in a while dream of something and it ends up happening in real life... weird as hell. But no, I don't have a history of those dreams. Literally the dream was me viewing the Canada vs Belgium score on Google. No actual gameplay footage LOL.

I think that was an accurate dream, if you saw the score on Google I mean. 

As expected, the first initial squads for September friendlies are starting to be announced and like any normal World Cup preparations, countries are putting together long lists of preliminary squads.  Uruguay has called 41 players to the preliminary squad but will likely be reduced further before the friendlies.  Qatar has yet to release their squad but I did notice that Argentina has included 32 preliminary players for their upcoming friendlies.

We will see what Herdman does with Canada but I'd love to see a preliminary squad squad of at least 30 announced for September friendlies but I doubt it.

Crepeau, St. Clair, Borjan

Waterman, Vitoria, Cornelius, Miller, Adekugbe, Johnston, Laryea, 

Eustaquio, Arfield, Hoillet, Osorio, Mitrovic, Petite, Davies, Kone, Koleosho (to familiarize), Hutchinson

David, Ugbo, Larin, Corbeanu, Buchanan, Kennedy, Miller

There is a 27 player squad. A couple may stay injured. Arfield is certainly worth a conversation/call. Kennedy may or not be sharp. Henry and Kaye are not playing well of late. Tom Holmes may be eligible to come in. I may have errors here. You may have other ideas.

Two friendlies, some questions posed and, hopefully, answered.

I'll give my prediction/opinion of the roster for the upcoming friendlies.

Given that Herdman continues to keep his core, I'd expect nothing less for these games.  Assuming no injuries.

Goalkeepers

To me this is quite easy as Borjan, Crepeau & St Clair seem to be ahead of the rest of our goalies.  If they were to call in a 4th goalie, they might lean to Leutwiler who's based in Europe and seems to be a favourite of Herdman.  I'm not sure Hasal, Breza or Pantemis have done enough to fly overseas for this trip but like I said, I suspect it will just be the 3 keepers called.

Center Backs

This one is interesting.  The obvious ones are both Vitoria & Kamal Miller.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both Henry and Kennedy will be included despite recent struggles.  If Holmes is somehow available, he's an obvious selection.  I believe Cornelius will be involved, especially given that the camp is in Europe.  I do not see how you leave Waterman off this roster given Henry & Kennedy's current form.  MacNaughton is not quite there yet and neither Smith nor Halbouni have played this season.  However, if an extended roster was called, I would be okay with bringing in Smith and/or Halbouni to get some training in with the team.  I also think Manjrekar James has no shot given Herdman hasn't called him in years.

Outside Backs

This one falls off real quick after Laryea, Johnston & Adekugbe.  Petrasso, ZBG, Gutierrez & Bassong are basically not playing at all now.  I wouldn't be recalling Godinho either.  Edwards is still getting minutes although I don't think he's had a goal contribution since the first month of the MLS season.  But given how short we are right now at this position, I believe he would be the 4th player called in (if at all).  Would it be unlikely that Abzi gets a call?  Unlike Smith & Halbouni, he is actually playing for his club.  And given how far some of our outside backs in MLS have dropped and that these friendlies are in Europe, perhaps he would receive a call.  I'd be open for him as a training player at camp.

Central Midfielders

Eustaquio, Hutchinson & Osorio are no brainers here.  MAK & Piette are always called as well.  I am team Arfield, so I would 100% bring him in if it was a possibilty (not likely).  Even more important for me would be the inclusion of Mitrovic if he's willing to join.  Wotherspoon isn't back yet but I like him as depth for our midfield and would like him included for Qatar.  Fraser isn't playing at a high enough level in my opinion.  I'd like to see both Kone and Nelson included but given this camp is in Europe, they both may be left off.  If one is included, its likely Kone.  I don't think Choinoire, Kerr, Thompson or Priso are quite at the level.  As for a couple European based players, I'd be interested to see Colyn and Batyrev potentially included as training players.  Dias & Pecile are likely another year or two away.

Wingers/Wide Attackers

Davies, Junior, Tajon are obvious.  Liam Miller should be the next guy in but I would absolutely be calling in Corbeanu as well.  An invite has to go to Koleosho in my opinion.  Although, he's stepped back a level this season, I would be calling Ennin even if just as a training player.  Shaffelburg would be the only other player I would consider since he's had a bit of a resurgence with Nashville but like I said, I'd rather seen players like Corbeanu & Koleosho called.

Strikers

David, Larin & Ugbo are obvious to me.  Despite his red card, I still see Cavallini being called.  Lastly, given familiarity, I would call Brym.  If Jebbison was on board, I would have him included as well.

These are all just my opinions and I suspect that we will see bare minimum called so likely only 1 or 2 fringe/new players included.

Edited by Corazon

45 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I'll give my prediction/Opinion of the roster for the upcoming friendlies.

Given that Herdman continues to keep his core, I'd expect nothing less for these friendlies.  Assuming no injuries.

Goalkeepers

To me this is quite easy as Borjan, Crepeau & St Clair seem to be ahead of the rest by a bit.  If they were to call in a 4th goalie, they might lean to Leutwiler who's based in Europe and seems to be a favourite of Herdman's.  I'm not sure Hasal, Breza or Pantemis have done enough to fly overseas for this trip but I suspect it will just be the 3 keepers called.

Center Backs

This one is interesting.  The obvious ones are both Vitoria & Kamal Miller.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both Henry and Kennedy will be there despite recent struggles.  If Holmes is somehow available, he's an obvious selection.  I believe Cornelius will be involved, especially given, the camp is in Europe.  I do not see how you leave Waterman off this roster given Henry & Kennedy's current form.  MacNaughton is not quite there and neither Smith nor Halbouni have played this season.  However, if an extended roster was called I would be okay with bringing in Smith and/or Halbouni to get some training in with the team.  I also think Manjrekar James has no shot given Herdman hasn't called him in years.

Outside Backs

This one falls off real quick after Laryea, Johnston & Adekugbe.  Petrasso, ZBG, Gutierrez & Bassong are basically not playing at all.  I wouldn't be recalling Godinho either.  Edwards is still getting minutes although I don't think he's had a goal contribution since the first month of the MLS season.  But given how short we are right now, I believe he would be the 4th player called.  Would it be unlikely that Abzi gets a call?  Unlike Smith & Halbouni, he is actually playing.  Given how far some of our outside backs in MLS have dropped and that these friendlies are in Europe, perhaps he would receive a call.  I'd be open for him as a training player at camp.

Central Midfielders

Eustaquio, Hutchinson & Osorio are on brainers here.  MAK & Piette are always called as well.  I am team Arfield, so I would 100% bring him in if it was a possibilty (not likely).  Even more important for me would be the inclusion of Mitrovic if he's willing to join.  Wotherspoon isn't back yet but I like him as depth for our midfield and would like him included for Qatar.  Fraser isn't playing at a high enough level in my opinion.  I'd like to see both Kone and Nelson included but given this is in Europe I see it unlikely that both if any go.  If one is included, its likely Kone.  I don't think Choinoire, Kerr, Thompson or Priso are quite at the level.  A couple European based players, I'd be interested in to see included for training would be Colyn and Batyrev.  Dias & Pecile are likely another couple years away.

Wingers/Wide Attackers

Davies, Junior, Tajon are obvious.  Liam Miller should be the next guy in but I would absolutely be calling in Corbeanu as well.  An invite has to go to Koleosho as well.  Although, he's stepped back a level this season, I would be calling Ennin in as well, even if just as a training player.  Shaffelburg would be the only other player I would consider since he's had a bit of a resurgance with Nashville but like I said, I'd rather seen players like Corbeanu & Koleosho called.

Strikers

David, Larin & Ugbo are obvious to me.  Despite his red card, I still see Cavallini being called.  Lastly, given familiarity, I would call Brym.  If Jebbison was on board, I would have him included as well.

These are all just my opinions and I suspect that we will see bare minimum called so likely only 1 or 2 fringe/new players included.

Makes total sense - all of your starters are the same in my book. The fringe players are generally going to be the same as well. I think it's important to have guys that can be used in many situations (like Lareya) who can play LB, RB or RM if the go with 3 in the back. I'm assuming that Herdman will use this to his advantage as well (keeping future opposition guessing our formation and tactics) especially in the group stage. Junior has been used in RW, RM, LW and LM, same with Tajon to a lesser extent, Davies as LM, LW and LF, it goes on and on. Not only can these guys just 'get by' like in these multiple roles, it actually works really well and tactics are adjusted on the fly to defend and attack accordingly. They are very fluid and for people not familiar with them, they are going to cause issues... I can't wait to see Belgium 'having to deal' with Canada so they can't impose their will. Lukaku without service obviously can't score!

On 9/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, Buchta said:

Two other matches are scheduled to be played in Vienna on September 23rd.

Paraguay vs UAE

Uruguay vs Iran

Uruguay vs Iran is now being played in Sankt Pölten.  

No updates on Canada vs Uruguay or Canada vs Qatar.  

20 hours ago, Corazon said:

Given that Herdman continues to keep his core, I'd expect nothing less for these games.  Assuming no injuries.

Goalkeepers

To me this is quite easy as Borjan, Crepeau & St Clair seem to be ahead of the rest of our goalies.  If they were to call in a 4th goalie, they might lean to Leutwiler who's based in Europe and seems to be a favourite of Herdman.  I'm not sure Hasal, Breza or Pantemis have done enough to fly overseas for this trip but like I said, I suspect it will just be the 3 keepers called.

Center Backs

This one is interesting.  The obvious ones are both Vitoria & Kamal Miller.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both Henry and Kennedy will be included despite recent struggles.  If Holmes is somehow available, he's an obvious selection.  I believe Cornelius will be involved, especially given that the camp is in Europe.  I do not see how you leave Waterman off this roster given Henry & Kennedy's current form.  MacNaughton is not quite there yet and neither Smith nor Halbouni have played this season.  However, if an extended roster was called, I would be okay with bringing in Smith and/or Halbouni to get some training in with the team.  I also think Manjrekar James has no shot given Herdman hasn't called him in years.

Outside Backs

This one falls off real quick after Laryea, Johnston & Adekugbe.  Petrasso, ZBG, Gutierrez & Bassong are basically not playing at all now.  I wouldn't be recalling Godinho either.  Edwards is still getting minutes although I don't think he's had a goal contribution since the first month of the MLS season.  But given how short we are right now at this position, I believe he would be the 4th player called in (if at all).  Would it be unlikely that Abzi gets a call?  Unlike Smith & Halbouni, he is actually playing for his club.  And given how far some of our outside backs in MLS have dropped and that these friendlies are in Europe, perhaps he would receive a call.  I'd be open for him as a training player at camp.

Central Midfielders

Eustaquio, Hutchinson & Osorio are no brainers here.  MAK & Piette are always called as well.  I am team Arfield, so I would 100% bring him in if it was a possibilty (not likely).  Even more important for me would be the inclusion of Mitrovic if he's willing to join.  Wotherspoon isn't back yet but I like him as depth for our midfield and would like him included for Qatar.  Fraser isn't playing at a high enough level in my opinion.  I'd like to see both Kone and Nelson included but given this camp is in Europe, they both may be left off.  If one is included, its likely Kone.  I don't think Choinoire, Kerr, Thompson or Priso are quite at the level.  As for a couple European based players, I'd be interested to see Colyn and Batyrev potentially included as training players.  Dias & Pecile are likely another year or two away.

Wingers/Wide Attackers

Davies, Junior, Tajon are obvious.  Liam Miller should be the next guy in but I would absolutely be calling in Corbeanu as well.  An invite has to go to Koleosho in my opinion.  Although, he's stepped back a level this season, I would be calling Ennin even if just as a training player.  Shaffelburg would be the only other player I would consider since he's had a bit of a resurgence with Nashville but like I said, I'd rather seen players like Corbeanu & Koleosho called.

Strikers

Corbeanu keeps form he becomes a obvious choice, no?

Hard to imagine Corbeanu doesn't get the call. Blackpool has 3 matches between now and the friendlies, so even if he "loses form" which I guess would mean he goes scoreless for 3 games, I don't think there's enough time for him to erase the strong start he's had to the season so far.

Ennin is a guy that interests me, I don't know if I would consider Hungary a significant step back from Russia, just considering that (as far as I know) RSL is a top heavy league, so between a bottom of table Russian team and a mid/bottom table Hungarian team (on loan, at that), I don't know how wide that gap is. I don't think he's worth a call up at this point because he has no chance at making the WC team, but I think he's a guy to keep an eye on for Gold Cup.

18 minutes ago, QBCS said:

Corbeanu keeps form he becomes a obvious choice, no?

100% Corbeanu should be called in but I just do not see how we don't invite Koleosho given his future trajectory even if he is not playing with Espanyol first team regularly.  If Koleosho is not invited for these friendlies than it would be a significant failure on Herdman and his staff in my opinion.  You find the money and bring him in.  If he rejects the invite than thats another story.

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

100% Corbeanu should be called in but I just do not see how we don't invite Koleosho given his future trajectory even if he is not playing with Espanyol first team regularly.  If Koleosho is not invited for these friendlies than it would be a significant failure on Herdman and his staff in my opinion.  You find the money and bring him in.  If he rejects the invite than thats another story.

Where else is Koleosho eligible?

Edited by QBCS

20 hours ago, Corazon said:

Goalkeepers

Center Backs

Outside Backs

Central Midfielders

Wingers/Wide Attackers

Strikers

Agree with your options/comments. Regarding young promissing players  I would list them in the 55 FIFA pre list as a motivation factor. Nevertheless Smith, after 7 games of his team, has zero minutes this season....Dias lost is place in Sporting B... he is now in the U23 team and even there, where most of the players are 17/18 yo, he is facing difficulties (in 4 matchs he only played 59' in the first one)....... Cobernau, Koleosho, Pecile and Jebbison for sure.