Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

The funnest part of this new phase of the game is now we get to go out and prove ourselves against a whole new set of doubters 

Make no mistake about it. The football world thinks we're cute and all but people don't like change. There's lots of old world bullshit out there. Prepare for the same type of hate and dismissive attitude the Americans receive on the world stage. It makes it all that more satisfying 

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The funnest part of this new phase of the game is now we get to go out and prove ourselves against a whole new set of doubters 

Make no mistake about it. The football world thinks we're cute and all but people don't like change. There's lots of old world bullshit out there. Prepare for the same type of hate and dismissive attitude the Americans receive on the world stage. It makes it all that more satisfying 

Dismissive I expect but I don't expext hate.

Like you said, we may be viewed as cute, or a novelty, which definitely wouldn't surprise me, but for some reason I can't see us being hated in the way the Americans are.

I don't even know if I would use the word hate actually, more like annoying or uppity. I don't think they are threatening enough yet to be "hated". They are still relatively inconsequential on the world stage.

Now if they beat England in Qatar....

:)

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Dismissive I expect but I don't expext hate.

Like you said, we may be viewed as cute, or a novelty, which definitely wouldn't surprise me, but for some reason I can't see us being hated in the way the Americans are.

I don't even know if I would use the word hate actually, more like annoying or uppity. I don't think they are threatening enough yet to be "hated". They are still relatively inconsequential on the world stage.

Now if they beat England in Qatar....

:)

I think hate can express itself in different ways. In order to make you got to take and once we start beating teams and celebrating etc etc.. we won't be a novelty anymore we'll be a threat. There is nothing to hate at the moment but they hate the idea of Canada being good or better then them at football 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think hate can express itself in different ways. In order to make you got to take and once we start beating teams and celebrating etc etc.. we won't be a novelty anymore we'll be a threat. There is nothing to hate at the moment but they hate the idea of Canada being good or better then them at football 

Yeah I see what you're saying. Makes sense. I can see things unfolding that way when we start beating some of these teams. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

You mean the same hate we current get from American and Mexican fans? They clearly don't like a third competitor coming in and crashing their party.

26 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

You mean the same hate we current get from American and Mexican fans? They clearly don't like a third competitor coming in and crashing their party.

Is this sarcasm? I have seen the American fans embrace the competition from Canada, if anything. They want a better concacaf. I imagine Mexico do too, but I can't really speak on whether they are happy for our come up or threatened by it. 

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is this sarcasm? I have seen the American fans embrace the competition from Canada, if anything. They want a better concacaf. I imagine Mexico do too, but I can't really speak on whether they are happy for our come up or threatened by it. 

Do you not see the comments on Twitter? We live rent free in their heads my guy. Look at Tactical Manager on Twitter for example. The man's obsessed with Canada becoming a threat.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Well American sports fans are objectively the worst in the world, especially when it comes to international sports. My perception of the American impression of our team is that they’re at least happy that another team in CONCACAF is good other than Mexico, who they hate way more than us. I think your average American soccer fan would rather beat Canada in the finals of every CONCACAF tournament rather than face Mexico. 

It is difficult to speak about American soccer fans, let alone sports fans, as a collective bunch. Regarding their soccer fans, the likes of the aforementioned Tactical Meathead are light and day away from Matt Doyle, David Gass etc. on the MLS site (they may be getting paid, but they are still fans at the end of the day). I've seen a lot of other American fans (based on social media) fall into both completely disparate camps when it comes to Canada.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Do you not see the comments on Twitter? We live rent free in their heads my guy. Look at Tactical Manager on Twitter for example. The man's obsessed with Canada becoming a threat.

I don't. I am not an active Twitter user, so if a tweet is not shared here I probably won't see it.

I have followed Tactical Manager on Youtube for a while now, though. I am probably more familiar with him than most around here. Ditto with 11 Yanks and I wouldn't describe either of them as being "obsessed" with Canada becoming a threat. Would I say they both understand the new reality of a competitive Canada? Yes.

And to an extent I think they both embrace our come up, so long as we don't overtake the United States, which we won't. Pete, Filippo, you, I and everyone on this forum understands that. Sure, we can beat them in the short term, this cycle demonstrates that, but long term we don't have the depth, especially in the generations behind Davies and David. That won't change until we put more effort into our youth program.

In fact, both Pete and Filippo were rather critical of our U-20 team and Pete even suggested we won't maintain long term success at the senior level if we don't do better at the youth level. Hard to disagree with that.

I think they, like most American fans, are threatened by Davies, however. I don't actually think they are threatened by David, I would say they are just envious because they don't have a comparable no. 9, which is one of the only positions they don't have a high level player. It especially stings for them because he was technically eligible for the USMNT.

6 hours ago, RS said:

Me personally? Just one. I've run several over the years, though.

I just looked at Wheeler's tweet embedded on the previous page of this thread. It has the 'like' counter at the bottom left.

Just teasing.

Thing about this: in countries with major soccer press, they do occasionally leak to the truly powerful media people. Like someone who has a radio show with a half a million listeners, or someone who' an editor at a major sports daily. Then if they persist the other rival media outlets complain and they end up cleaning up the leaks, but it goes back and forth.

In Canada they are leaking to the small fry in a nation where every soccer journalist fish could be measured as a pure formality then thrown back into the pond.

34 minutes ago, Metro said:

We always beat them in basketball so "losing to Canada" would not be new to them. 😉 

You do know that Canada has never done anything at all significant in world basketball and the prospects are still not that good?

In the recent world u-17s, finished last week, you might want to look at Canada's results. And look at how the top teams at the senior level are also developing their youth properly as well, which is not our case.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You do know that Canada has never done anything at all significant in world basketball and the prospects are still not that good?

In the recent world u-17s, finished last week, you might want to look at Canada's results. And look at how the top teams at the senior level are also developing their youth properly as well, which is not our case.

They have beaten Uruguay. They have surpassed my wildest dreams.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are better than Uruguay, I concede. 

I was just getting ahead of myself with all those basketball fans on the board who think Canada is good at it.

Pretty tough group at the u17s to be fair and then Spain 

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are better than Uruguay, I concede. 

I was just getting ahead of myself with all those basketball fans on the board who think Canada is good at it.

There really isn’t a point to International basketball unfortunately… it’s nothing like soccer.  The U.S. is just too dominant.  I was going off on another poster for Wiggins not committing to Canada, but I realize to the majority of pro-Basketball players, it’s just not in their DNA to care about international play. In terms of # of NBA players, Canada is now #2…and the worst NBA team would crush the best Euro League team.  I looked up the highest Euro League salary and it is $5.4 M… 9 Raptors make more than this.  If International basketball actually mattered to the players, Canada would be fighting for #2. I wish it were different but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Was about to post this.  Kilbane just proving to be even more of an idiot.

In fairness, normally I don't find him to be so clueless, but this was embarrassing especially you'd think given that he also follows the Irish National team closely he'd know about when their next matches are, which are in the same window.

I guess we should be thankful TSN didn't send a reporter into the Ukranian embassy to say that Ukraine are free..