Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

We are playing Qatar because Montagliani already has a good relationship with them, since the Gold Cup and as a FIFA VP. It is also part of Qatar doing friendlies with most Confederations in FIFA, if you look at how they've been doing them it has been spread around, they've done friendlies with every Confederation except Oceania.

This is something set up by Montagliani, bailing out Bontis once again.

Uruguay seemed to already have their Qatar friendly set up, we just came in alongside.

The last time Qatar was doing friendlies in Austria they played in the Admira Wacker stadium, a smaller venue which is on the outskirts of Vienna. Sounds like the right sort of place.

Uruguay already announced their friendlies in Austria on July 1: Qatar and Iran.

If the rumours are true, we've apparently broken into their existing arrangements.

If we are now playing Qatar and Uruguay in that window, then those rivals will have to find other rivals for a second game. 

Iran says they are playing Uruguay on the 22nd and that appears in various sources: if so, then that would make sense for us. We then play Qatar. Iran does not report a 2nd friendly that window. I have not found the Qatar match schedule, other than they are playing Mallorca, in Austria, next Tuesday.

https://www.elpais.com.uy/ovacion/futbol/uruguay-confirmo-amistosos-iran-qatar-septiembre.html

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s fair. I hope the Qatar game is in Qatar so the players can get a taste of playing in like 55 degree weather.

Why?  We wont be playing in 55 degrees heat or even 40.  Daily average high is 29 and low is 20 in November. As we play our first match at 10pm, it will likely be in the low 20s. December is even lower.  24.5 high and 16 low.  Weather is a none factor (especially as humidity is low at this time of the year as well).

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Uruguay already announced their friendlies in Austria on July 1: Qatar and Iran.

If the rumours are true, we've apparently broken into their existing arrangements.

If we are now playing Qatar and Uruguay in that window, then those rivals will have to find other rivals for a second game. 

Iran says they are playing Uruguay on the 22nd and that appears in various sources: if so, then that would make sense for us. We then play Qatar. Iran does not report a 2nd friendly that window. I have not found the Qatar match schedule, other than they are playing Mallorca, in Austria, next Tuesday.

https://www.elpais.com.uy/ovacion/futbol/uruguay-confirmo-amistosos-iran-qatar-septiembre.html

This just highlights the fact that none of this stuff is official yet and could still change.

Hell, after the last window I won't believe any of these matches are really happening until 1 hour before and the line ups are announced 

Edited by narduch

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Relieved, little more. 

Odd that the CSA feels they have to feed the news exclusively to Wheeler in advance so he can get 43 likes on a tweet and remain their faithful shill. 

Error in the article: the Qatar match is not a "Thursday match", odd they'd write that when they specifically state it is to be played on a Friday. Maybe they are trying to trick the players into not boycotting?

Just the same: hoping to go to one of these.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Odd that the CSA feels they have to feed the news exclusively to Wheeler in advance so he can get 43 likes on a tweet and remain their faithful shill. 

Rick Westhead tweeted it a few minutes before Wheeler, although he names the players as his source.

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Rick Westhead tweeted it a few minutes before Wheeler, although he names the players as his source.

Right.

One journalist has indirect sources (players leaking the info amidst conversations about other things) while the other just states it as fact, with greater precision. 

I also have gotten exclusive information at times about the team, through internal sources, but only ever repeat it to people I know personally, never here and never publically. Or else only after the fact. I imagine you would have such sources as well.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Right.

One journalist has indirect sources (players leaking the info amidst conversations about other things) while the other just states it as fact, with greater precision. 

I also have gotten exclusive information at times about the team, through internal sources, but only ever repeat it to people I know personally, never here and never publically. Or else only after the fact. I imagine you would have such sources as well.

Yeah, I'm not arguing your larger point. Wheeler obviously has someone in the CSA feeding him info.

His tweet currently has 849 likes, though. ;)

Was curious about Qatar only playing one match in Austria: now I see they are scheduled to play Chile in Austria on Sept 27 after playing Morocco in Barcelona on the 23rd.

I sure hope they don't do a double header at the same venue in Vienna on the 27th. 

https://redgol.cl/seleccionchilena/Seleccion-chilena-confirma-a-dos-rivales-mundialistas-en-Espana-y-Austria-en-la-fecha-FIFA-de-septiembre-20220706-0077.html

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Geez, how many Twitter accounts do you have anyways? 

Me personally? Just one. I've run several over the years, though.

I just looked at Wheeler's tweet embedded on the previous page of this thread. It has the 'like' counter at the bottom left.