Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

39 minutes ago, Shway said:

Why Austria and not a place like England?

Selfish reasons for myself, as I would have double the reason to visit my brother…but I wonder what goes into the decision making.

Is it cheaper?

I would think so especially if the game won’t draw a crowd.  No reason to use a large stadium; can just play at an Austrian or Spanish facility/resort that hosts preseason friendlies all the time.  Makes a ton of sense to me…

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

So out of the top 15 the non UEFA teams are Brazil, Argentina, USA, Uruguay. Not USA. Argentina and Brazil have to play each other for FIFA qualifying redo for that prior abandoned match, could possibly be one of those. Uruguay are ranked 13, let's be real there's already been smoke for this one and if it was Brazil or Argentina he would be saying top 5 not top 15.

3 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

I’d be happy with a Paraguay, Uruguay window.   So damn negative around here!

@narduch , Uruguay is not playing Nations League like the UEFA teams.

@Shway  Uruguay is already scheduled to be in Austria. They were supposed to face Iran and Qatar.

It looks like they picked us over playing Qatar:

https://www.elpais.com.uy/amp/ovacion/futbol/uruguay-confirmo-amistosos-iran-qatar-septiembre.html

-----

Most likely scenario is:

Sept 23: Canada vs Paraguay (somewhere in Austria)

Sept 27: Canada vs Uruguay (somewhere in Austria, likely in Vienna)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

A Paraguay/Uruguay window would be solid competition. I don’t put much stock into the region they’re from not matching up to our group opponents argument. You know, that old cliché! As long as they are quality opponents, that’s what matters. Playing teams in neutral setting doesn’t prepare you that much for the pressure you’ll face on the biggest stage. We have high talent and good depth. It will be about executing on the big stage, luck and health. 

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@narduch , Uruguay is not playing Nations League like the UEFA teams.

@Shway  Uruguay is already scheduled to be in Austria. They were supposed to face Iran and Qatar.

It looks like they picked us over playing Qatar:

https://www.elpais.com.uy/amp/ovacion/futbol/uruguay-confirmo-amistosos-iran-qatar-septiembre.html

-----

Most likely scenario is:

Sept 23: Canada vs Paraguay (somewhere in Austria)

Sept 27: Canada vs Uruguay (somewhere in Austria, likely in Vienna)

Any reason for that setup of venues?

Paraguay seems to have done various stages and windows over the years in the Tyrol.

Thing is, by late September you don't need to train in the hills or mountains. 

I'd be hard pressed to get to the 27th match, though could as I could get the Wednesday off, but 24th on a Saturday works better. Though I would prefer shorter travel from Vienna. 

Folks should realize that travel to the Tyrol could be closer to Venice, which has cheap low-cost options, if near Salzburg then Múnich is closer. Vienna is in the east of Austria. 

All have decent low-cost flights and accommodation that is pricey. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist