Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If I'm a major sponsor looking toward this world cup, I'm just talking to Davies/David/Buchanan's agents directly, and not bothering with sponsoring the full team. They're the faces you'd want promoting your product anyway, and the CSA/CSB is a shitshow.

Equally, if I'm Davies agent I'm pitching why signing with the player alone is more beneficial

On 6/8/2022 at 6:54 PM, Ally McCoist said:

I look back to this tweet and it still astounds me how much incompetence we continue to see. After everything that happened during that window, aside from settling with the players, this would be top priority to show fans, casual fans and people who don’t really follow that we’re on it so to speak. Apparently not. “Almost finalized” my ass

2 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I look back to this tweet and it still astounds me how much incompetence we continue to see. After everything that happened during that window, aside from settling with the players, this would be top priority to show fans, casual fans and people who don’t really follow that we’re on it so to speak. Apparently not. “Almost finalized” my ass

Nothing good will come of keeping Earl Cochrane in his position at the CSA.

Believe Amy Walsh was the only media member with the balls (pun intended) to call him out.

Earl Cochrane really that explains it. This guy was a disaster at TFC during all those years when the club was one of the worst ever expansion teams in the history of the MLS . They started in 2007 and it took them until what 2015  I think to finally make the playoffs and have a respectable season. This guy was a big part of that incompetent organization during those years , and here he is at the CSA wow .

15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Sounds like a better strategy than thinking players like Gianluca Zavarise were the answer and being part of the Aron Winter total football experiment with such stellar Dutch talents as Nick Soolsma.

You mean Canadian Challenge Trophy winner, Nick Soolsma.

9 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

“Almost finalized” my ass

3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

"Almost finalized" three weeks ago. What the actual flip is going on?!

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"almost finalized

Jeeze, you guys, the Duke of Earl said he almost finalized "screwing up". The last part is silent like the 2nd b in bomb or the h in anchor or the b in dumb. BTW, I chose those three words because they aptly describe The Duke and CSA.

Edited by Sal333

7 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

We deserve better. The players deserve better. 

This is exactly what we deserve.  We just F#cked over 2 teams in the last window.  Why would anyone jump at the chance to play us in the fall??  Lay the blame where you will, HERDMAN/CSA for being naive about Iran, the PM for beaking off, press that whipped up any protest into what looked like a frenzy, then the players for not playing against Panama at the last possible second, after all the effort to line up a last minute replacement/tune up.  ANd lets not think about all the money flushed down the drain.

Whoever is actually making the calls to line up the next window is going to have to reassure them that the shit show that went on last time isnt going to be repeated.  So yeah, I am not surprised that this is taking a long time, and I wont be surprised if what gets lined up is complete shit.  

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

This is exactly what we deserve.  We just F#cked over 2 teams in the last window.  Why would anyone jump at the chance to play us in the fall??  Lay the blame where you will, HERDMAN/CSA for being naive about Iran, the PM for beaking off, press that whipped up any protest into what looked like a frenzy, then the players for not playing against Panama at the last possible second, after all the effort to line up a last minute replacement/tune up.  ANd lets not think about all the money flushed down the drain.

Whoever is actually making the calls to line up the next window is going to have to reassure them that the shit show that went on last time isnt going to be repeated.  So yeah, I am not surprised that this is taking a long time, and I wont be surprised if what gets lined up is complete shit.  

In b4 Chile and South Korea

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Lets not kid ourselves. This was going to be the case regardless.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Won't be much different from the contracts signed with Iran and Panama, with match agents involved. And the respective clauses for breaking the agreements. 

Letting the players boycott the Panama match, with Herdman's blessing, was one of the worst decisions in a long time, it'll come back to haunt us. I'm fully pro unión but I would have put my foot down on that move, it was an unacceptable treatment of fans and the rival team. 

IMO Herdman should have been let go for refusing to field a team; or else the ultimatum should have been extremely strong-worded. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Won't be much different from the contracts signed with Iran and Panama, with match agents involved. And the respective clauses for breaking the agreements. 

Letting the players boycott the Panama match, with Herdman's blessing, was one of the worst decisions in a long time, it'll come back to haunt us. I'm fully pro unión but I would have put my foot down on that move, it was an unacceptable treatment of fans and the rival team. 

IMO Herdman should have been let go for refusing to field a team; or else the ultimatum should have been extremely strong-worded. 

Thank god you're nowhere near to making such a decision.

1) You're basing a major decision on one of your dreamt-up speculations. How the ef do you know he refused to field a team? Maybe it never came to that point. Maybe he was told they were having a private meeting and after the meeting they told him their decision and they didn't want him involved? There are a number of different scenarios other than yours.

2) But let's entertain your dreamt-up story. What did you expect Herdman to do? Order them back on the pitch? Go against the whole team's wishes? Yeah! That's one dandy way of destroying whatever chemistry he built in that room. I'd have loved to see the results in Qatar after your idea of handling the situation. In your scenario the players are not adults. They're children that need to be scolded and ordered about. And I love that qualifier, "I'm fully pro-union." No you're not. You're the furthest thing from pro-union.

3) The players expressed complete ignorance of the CSA's deal with the CSB. That is enough info to let you know the CSA's attitude towards the most important assets in their possession. They couldn't give enough of an ef to fill them in on their plans. You have absolutely no idea how long the players have been dealing with the CSA and how long that "stellar" association kept stalling them. The day after the game cancellation happened Amy Walsh was on Montreal radio stating that the CSA were experts at delaying tactics. Hmmmm, that's one salvo in your leaky dinghy of a scenario.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

1) You're basing a major decision on one of your dreamt-up speculations. How the ef do you know he refused to field a team?

I'm pretty sure he was at BC Place preparing everything when he heard that the players finally heard the players' decision.  Strange behaviour for someone refusing to play.

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Thank god you're nowhere near to making such a decision.

1) You're basing a major decision on one of your dreamt-up speculations. How the ef do you know he refused to field a team? Maybe it never came to that point. Maybe he was told they were having a private meeting and after the meeting they told him their decision and they didn't want him involved? There are a number of different scenarios other than yours.

2) But let's entertain your dreamt-up story. What did you expect Herdman to do? Order them back on the pitch? Go against the whole team's wishes? Yeah! That's one dandy way of destroying whatever chemistry he built in that room. I'd have loved to see the results in Qatar after your idea of handling the situation. In your scenario the players are not adults. They're children that need to be scolded and ordered about. And I love that qualifier, "I'm fully pro-union." No you're not. You're the furthest thing from pro-union.

3) The players expressed complete ignorance of the CSA's deal with the CSB. That is enough info to let you know the CSA's attitude towards the most important assets in their possession. They couldn't give enough of an ef to fill them in on their plans. You have absolutely no idea how long the players have been dealing with the CSA and how long that "stellar" association kept stalling them. The day after the game cancellation happened Amy Walsh was on Montreal radio stating that the CSA were experts at delaying tactics. Hmmmm, that's one salvo in your leaky dinghy of a scenario.

Score!

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

IMO Herdman should have been let go for refusing to field a team;

Legit one of the worst takes I've read here. Canada makes it to their first world cup in over 30 years and you think firing the coach right before the WC would be a good idea? If you thought the Iran and Panama cancellation created controversy, what the hell do you think would happen if they fired Herdman? Players would be pissed, fans would be pissed, media would be all over CSA etc.

GENIUS! Great logic there.

Edited by Colliedor

The day was going pretty good (Larin/Vitoria) until I saw the Ugbo news.  Oh well the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  Things seem to be working out better since the strike but I have to wonder What's Eating John Herdman.

Has he gotten over what looked like a funk? Stay tuned for more As the Stomach Turns (cue organ music)

Everyday, I look at certain name threads to see if the player has moved (one did today).  I wish I could call a moratorium on posting to the Jonathan David thread until he moves, and then the first post would be the news of his moving to a great new team. Not possible?  No such luck?  Ok.